LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

Blame Alex thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wordlesschor:
I wont go so far as to say i wish we had lost by a larger margin, but there is something to this. Alex and the team played horribly in the first half minus Gore's long run.

What you want out of a starting caliber qb is to have the moxie to put the game on his shoulders and try and make something out of it. It just seemed like Alex was one and done way too many times in the first half. I'm still pulling for him, but geez...

How do you play horribly throwing 7 passes in 30 minutes and play calling designed for screens that do not pan. I honestly believe Alex had a good game. Our offensive strategy most of the time does not call plays that favor our QB's strengths.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Gotta disagree with OP. However, the second half was without Kampman and Harris. That is a passrusher and a shutdown corner. Harris was on Davis all first half. That is why it is hard for me to tell if the Oline got better and if what we saw in the second half was legit.

Harris was there for a while in the 2nd half, (he was covering Crabtree on Crabtrees TD)
we won today?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Peanut49:
I wont go so far as to say i wish we had lost by a larger margin, but there is something to this. Alex and the team played horribly in the first half minus Gore's long run.

What you want out of a starting caliber qb is to have the moxie to put the game on his shoulders and try and make something out of it. It just seemed like Alex was one and done way too many times in the first half. I'm still pulling for him, but geez...

How do you play horribly throwing 7 passes in 30 minutes and play calling designed for screens that do not pan. I honestly believe Alex had a good game. Our offensive strategy most of the time does not call plays that favor our QB's strengths.

Why is it that when other teams use screen passes against us they always seem to get 8-15 yards but when we use it there are like two defenders waiting perfectly to make a tackle for a loss?
We did lose
Did you see the pressure, the man coverage, the CB blitzes? They were doing everything EXCEPT playing soft zones.

My god, you trolls need to watch the games, it'll help you come up with better troll material.
  • wordlesschor
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Peanut49:

That's just the way it seemed to me. Maybe horrible was a strong word. But effective or good their play was not. Anybody can blame it on the playcalling or the actual play of the qb but i just dont feel like he played a good game. Maybe we should go to the spread earlier like what everybody says to see if he can flourish for a whole game like that, but, regardless of what anybody says about GB's defense, when you're playing with a 20 point lead, i'd say most defenses would more likely than not have a tendency to kind of just sit on the lead and play it safer.
Wasted thread
Originally posted by Pogity:
I thought the line blocked a bit better in the second half as well. I think the Packers backed off the blitzes a little however.

I was noticing lots of shifting in the Packers' secondary the entire game. The Packers are a well-coached team with a good scheme. They will rise to the tpo again soon.

I think Wragge is better than Baas. OL played better after Baas went out.
  • wordlesschor
  • Info N/A
I don't live under a bridge and i dont eat hobbits. Our o-line is our biggest weakness for sure and Smith is definitely our best qb right now but all that bothers me is that for someone with his athleticism you'd like to see him do just a bit more. Maybe we've all been spoiled by the past qbs but the greatest intangible with a guy like Garcia for example is his ability to make something happen out of nothing. With Smith it seems like everything needs to be going perfect for the play to actually be executed. I'll give him this though he doesnt roll-out and throw the ball out of bounds as much.

i think ur just a hating troll. green bay played soft? ya thats it, they wanted us to come within a drive of beating them. thats it, to hell with stepping on another teams throat and keeping them down and securing a game. lets let the good ol niners come back and almost win. no sir, we played better for the same reasons that we've almost come back all season long, singletary gets away from his prehistoric offense after we fall 20 or so points behind and he actually lets the team spread out a little and plays to their strengths. we have these issues because singletary told the world we would be a "physical with an F" type team and he's gonna keep pushing that until he gets some success so he can feel special, rather than playing to the teams strengths. most of our offensive playmakers came from a spread system, theyre used to it. many players alluded at the end of the game that we need to go to more of a spread system. even our s**tty O-line held up well enough for smith to bring us back into the game. Indy, the Pats, the Saints, the chargers, the steelers, most of the best teams in the league run a 3 or 4 receiver set as their primary offense. dont be ignorant and just blame smith, its been done, its not true. the gy has proved that he can move the ball, and move the ball well when the coaches call his kind of plays. coaches should play to their players strengths, not the other way around
Originally posted by krizay:
Quote:
I Wish We had Lost.....

I was thinking the same thing...We did lose today, right?
[ Edited by mdonch3 on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM ]
After watching this game for a 2nd time ( I recorded it ), I have some observations :

1. Adam Snyder is terrible ! He can't seem to hold a block in pass protection for longer than 1-2 seconds. We need to upgrade this position in the off season. Hopefully Staley will be back next week and we'll move Sims to RT.

2. We need to run the spread offense more ! Smith looks more comfortable in the shotgun and has weapons to throw the ball to. Scrap the power running game until our line is better.

3. Smith IS our QB of the future. When he had time, he made some really nice touch throws. eg. The long throws and TD throw to Vernon. Once the O-line is upgraded then let's see what he can do. He has the skills, and is ONLY 25 ! I have done some research into who is available at QB this off season, and there are slim pickings...( Roselfels, and Delhomme are the only decent guys out there ). I will take my chances with Alex. JUST PROTECT HIM !!

4. We need to get a threatening pass rusher in the off season. We have some good pieces on defense, but need that stud pass rusher. Then watch how good our secondary will look.

Bottom line is we are 1 off season away from making waves in the NFC. Even with a bad right side of the O-line, and no consistent pass rush, we are still in games, and have lost 5 games by less than 7 points. Give us a solid O-line and look out. We'll have Alex, Gore, Crabtree, Vernon, and a good pass rush ? Wow !!
We are in really good cap shape, and will have 2 first round pics, so we should improve drastically. We will end up 8-8, which is still a 1 game improvement. Give Coach Singletary another off season to improve and motivate our boys. As far as today, not sure what the heck happened in the 1st half today. Not enough spread offense, and only 7 passing plays ?? What the ??? I have also noticed that when we play on the road @ 1 pm EST, we play horrible in the 1st half. Maybe it's the time difference...it would only be 10:00 am to us. I have watched a lot of games in my 20 years of 49ers football, and we always play bad @ 1:00 pm EST. Not sure why, it's just a fact. Didn't help that our D didn't show up until the 2nd half. Be patient 'Zoners !
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Can't pin this one on Smith. But can't be the Z without a thread to pin it on Smith after every lost. Nice try though.

Padded stats, my friend. Padded stats. "And the wheels on Alex's bus go round and round, round and round, round and round......."

And the smear campaign continues ,7 attempts in the first half, Really ? that's on Smith? , your hatred for Smith is laughable
Originally posted by ZRF80:
This is exactly what I was afraid of. We got our asses handed to us in the first half. That was the "real" 49ers squad. Inept on the offensive front with a defense trying its best to hang in the game. Alex Smith played atrocious. It was a tell tale of how this season has gone for us, and in the case of Alex Smith.......confirmed our suspicions that he's the same ole bust that he's always been.

But then GB got soft. They let off the aggression. The Niners became desperate (as we do in games where we're blown out by halftime) and started airing it out. All of a sudden, Alex looks like a hero. Attention is diverted away to OFF-FIELD issues (eg playcalling, coaching) instead of the garbage that is being displayed on the field.

Now..............even though we lost this game in the first half.........everyone is touting a MORAL VICTORY. No longer is Alex the bust that he's been since he became starter this season, but rather the unsung hero who brought his team back from extinction. Yeah, Ive seen this movie before.......try San Diego and Philadelphia 2006........where we were blown out by halftime + a piss poor performance by Smith, only to have him pad his stats against loose defenses in the 2nd half. End result = blind supporters flashing the "I love Alex Smith" badge and asking for his jersey to be retired next to Montana's.

And now we come full circle. Again, Alex comes up short in the first half. Niners get put out of the game. GB backs off in the 2nd....Alex gets a chance to open it up a bit (we'll forget the INT that led to GB's TD of course), and now we're shouting for a contract extension. Go Alex ! We know you're capable of "almost" winning it, and we'll ignore that you're one of the main reasons behind the loss to begin with.

Im sick of this s**t. There is no such thing as "moral" victories when you've been rebuilding for 7 years. There's no such thing as "moral" victories when your 1st round daft pick QB gets outshined by one who has a worse oline and supporting cast. And there's no "moral" victory with fans that find every damn excuse in the book to forgive their lame QB, who is ridiculed (watch highlights on NFL Network) by every major media outlet, but think they have a diamond in the rough that needs only a probowl RB, 2 probowl WRs, and 3/5 probowl OLinemen to showcase his REAL skills.

I really do wish that we would have lost, so we could finally start accepting the truth, instead of pretending that Alex will be a star if we use the spread offense. Yeah, like teams wont prepare for that. And then what, when we cant even get a completion with the spread ? Are we finally going to accept Alex as the bust that he is ? Oh no. We'll probably blame Raye or the oline as we always do.

PS - That INT wasnt Alex's fault. It was tipped by the leaf that was blowing in the wind.

Stupid post. Alex touched the ball 7 times to pass in the first half. Rodgers passed it 35 times by then. See Rodgers coach says lose conservatively is still LOSING.
Share 49ersWebzone