LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Most important element of the team

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Most important element of the team

Originally posted by GEEK:
QB hands down.

agree, the oline is important too but if we had a qb who can make something happen, this team would be seen in a different light. we still have a problem even if we had one of the best olines but no qb behind the center making things happen.
An owner like John York. A winner like that will field a powerhouse program year in and year out.
Most important element of the team is Communication
  • dmax
  • Veteran
ol....it starts there
The answer is QB for any football team at any level

A good OL is irrelevant without a QB that can manage the game and run the offense

Good QB's make bad OL's look good quite often
Originally posted by dmax:
ol....it starts there

I think we're seeing that in Technicolor this year.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
The answer is QB for any football team at any level

A good OL is irrelevant without a QB that can manage the game and run the offense

Good QB's make bad OL's look good quite often

Bad OL's can make good QB's look bad quite often too.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by dmax:
ol....it starts there

I think we're seeing that in Technicolor this year.

But what is harder to find & more important to hang on to? A franchise quarterback or a bunch of good offensive linemen?

I think you need a "franchise" type player for quarterback, but with Oline you need a bunch of good ones, not necessarily have five franchise type guys as starters. Is it easier to plug in new O-linemen & stay consistent, or new quarterbacks every season?

I guess I am looking at this from an individual player perspective instead of squad perspective. I don't think it is equatable to compare a single player position against a squad of several players.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
team = everyone

there is no I in TEAM.

stupid question

This is a discussion thread. Regurgitating dumb management consultant-speak doesn't do it.

Teams have to make judgement. They have to decide where to spend the high picks or the free agent bucks.

The question is entirely valid

Quit thinking outside the box. Or start. Which ever it is you are (or aren't) doing now.

I've found management slogans solve most of life's problems.
QB

I'll take P. Manning or Brady behind a struggling line over Alex Smith and an all pro line any day of the week. And twice on sunday.

QB plays the most important element on a team....but if u asked the QB...he will probably answer OLINE (OT)...

Steve Young said it!! he would trade an all-pro WR for an all-pro LT!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Overkill:
QB

I'll take P. Manning or Brady behind a struggling line over Alex Smith and an all pro line any day of the week. And twice on sunday.

And my running game with my great OL will keep P. Manning and Brady on the bench. I just need a couple of big plays to my average WR who will certainly get open because my QB has all day to throw and yours doesn't.

(See Manning against the 49ers; See Brady against Jets, 1st game).

LOL, didn't realize you were in my division...

I've heard that theory repeated so many times in NT that I knew somebody would say it here. Sure, there are teams that win based on TOP, but it requires 2 elements - a good running attack and a great defense. Having just one of those things really doesn't help you much (see the 2009 49ers, who lost to Manning btw). The Vikes also prescribed to that philosophy for years and never made it very far.

I'll stick with Manning & Brady (and all their SB's), but its really personal preference imo.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
team = everyone

there is no I in TEAM.

stupid question

This is a discussion thread. Regurgitating dumb management consultant-speak doesn't do it.

Teams have to make judgement. They have to decide where to spend the high picks or the free agent bucks.

The question is entirely valid

Quit thinking outside the box. Or start. Which ever it is you are (or aren't) doing now.

I've found management slogans solve most of life's problems.

This is the start of a whole new thread!! I loath management slogans as being the height of banality, and anyway they are usually misapplied.

Take this one. There is no I in team. Therefore no one part of the tram is more important than the others. A misapplication. There is no I in team (the management slogan) refers to ego. So you leave your ego behind and play for the good of the team. Which is not to say that one part of the team is not more important than others.

And anyway, it's the lines!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
QB

And my running game with my great OL will keep P. Manning and Brady on the bench. I just need a couple of big plays to my average WR who will certainly get open because my QB has all day to throw and yours doesn't.

(See Manning against the 49ers; See Brady against Jets, 1st game).

Bingo!

Not to mention that neither of them have ever had a line as bad as ours, so you cant say how they would perform behind one. We haven't seen what Smith can do behind a solid line. On the other hand, we have seen what Brady and Manning can do behind a bad line only a few times, but the results werent that great.

Look at Matt Cassell, Kurt Warner, Jay Cutler, and Kyle Orton.

- Cassell went from stud to average at best when he went from NE to KC

- Kurt Warner was terrible from his days in NY to his days with Denny Green. In comes Ken Whisenhunt who focuses on the line, and Kurt Warner suddenly is a Super Bowl QB again

- Jay Cutler behind Denver's line was "The next Elway". Behind Chicago's line he looks like Rex Grossman with a strong arm.

- Kyle Orton looked terrible in Chicago. Put him behind the same line that Cutler took for granted and he helped turn a team that nobody thought would win 4 games into a legit playoff team.

Just about the only guy in the league that is still putting up numbers behind a bad line, is Aaron Rodgers....of course, now people will say "we should have taken Rodgers". Fact is that MOST of the QBs in the NFL will suck behind a bad O-line. The good ones like Manning, Brady, Brees, Palmer, and Rivers almost never get hit.
Originally posted by macombs:
Originally posted by fandemonium:
Well, since every position is played by a carbon-based life form, I'd say carbon is the most important element.

I was going to say H2O! Aren't we 90% water anyway?

Water isn't an element though... It's made up of elements.
Share 49ersWebzone