LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Question for the Old Timers about Trick Plays with Walsh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
pooch kick in the SB against the Begals
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Walsh would run trick plays such as flea flickers, TE or WR reverses etc. , however what has to be emphasized are the formations that he used that just had DC pulling their hair out. He would over load one side, put Craig in the slot, overload the OL to the right or left, and it literally scared the sh*t out of a DC because he had no idea what was coming out of that formation.

In SB16 Walsh had the OL line up with LT,C,RT,RG,LT on the right side, 2 TE on the right side. Only ran the play one time yet forced Cincy to think about it.

In the SB with Miami ran Earl Cooper out of the backfield underneath (today a very common play) Right to left with everyone over the top clearing out Left to Right Cooper was wide open scored a TD (one on cover of SI) Niners had not run that specific formation/play in 3 seasons.

Watch the last drive that leads up to the “catch” in the 81 championship game with Dallas. The Cowboys by the 4th play of that drive had no idea what was coming. Traditionally you would pass and I mean 25+ yards not WCO and never run when starting a drive on your 8 yard line with only 3+ minutes left. The Niners were running on passing downs, throwing on running downs mixing up different RB and WR using all kinds of different formations. The WCO and Walsh made Landry Flex defense look as archaic as the dinosaurs.

As mentioned earlier Walsh started the Angus formation using Guy McIntyre in the backfield but Ditka stole it from Walsh used Perry and tended to get all the glory for the play.

Parcells and Ditka could not stand Walsh but then again we crushed the Giants and Bears on several occasion in the playoffs. Terry Bradshaw hated Montana and the WCO. Bradshaw never has nor will he ever give Montana and the Niners teams of that era the credit due. What also ticks of Bradshaw is that many believe the '84 & 89 Niners could take any Steelers team Bradshaw played for plus he will never admit they got lucky going to there first SB due to the immaculate reception.

The Niners have traditionally been inventors of new formations and offenses it was the Niners that invented the shotgun formation back in the late 50’s. I am sure one of the other old timers can tell us who the coach was that invented it I think it was Buck Shaw b

I think that was Roger Craig, not Earl Cooper.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Walsh would run trick plays such as flea flickers, TE or WR reverses etc. , however what has to be emphasized are the formations that he used that just had DC pulling their hair out. He would over load one side, put Craig in the slot, overload the OL to the right or left, and it literally scared the sh*t out of a DC because he had no idea what was coming out of that formation.

In SB16 Walsh had the OL line up with LT,C,RT,RG,LT on the right side, 2 TE on the right side. Only ran the play one time yet forced Cincy to think about it.

In the SB with Miami ran Earl Cooper out of the backfield underneath (today a very common play) Right to left with everyone over the top clearing out Left to Right Cooper was wide open scored a TD (one on cover of SI) Niners had not run that specific formation/play in 3 seasons.

Watch the last drive that leads up to the “catch” in the 81 championship game with Dallas. The Cowboys by the 4th play of that drive had no idea what was coming. Traditionally you would pass and I mean 25+ yards not WCO and never run when starting a drive on your 8 yard line with only 3+ minutes left. The Niners were running on passing downs, throwing on running downs mixing up different RB and WR using all kinds of different formations. The WCO and Walsh made Landry Flex defense look as archaic as the dinosaurs.

As mentioned earlier Walsh started the Angus formation using Guy McIntyre in the backfield but Ditka stole it from Walsh used Perry and tended to get all the glory for the play.

Parcells and Ditka could not stand Walsh but then again we crushed the Giants and Bears on several occasion in the playoffs. Terry Bradshaw hated Montana and the WCO. Bradshaw never has nor will he ever give Montana and the Niners teams of that era the credit due. What also ticks of Bradshaw is that many believe the '84 & 89 Niners could take any Steelers team Bradshaw played for plus he will never admit they got lucky going to there first SB due to the immaculate reception.

The Niners have traditionally been inventors of new formations and offenses it was the Niners that invented the shotgun formation back in the late 50’s. I am sure one of the other old timers can tell us who the coach was that invented it I think it was Buck Shaw b

I think that was Roger Craig, not Earl Cooper.

Actually, I think he meant to say Cinci. That one was on the cover of SI, too.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
That wasn't ole Bills style, when I think back maybe a reverse Taylor with Taylor putting up a wobbly pass to Rice or Harry Sydney tossing a Half Back Pass?

I think Rice maybe threw a pass or two out of a reverse formation. But I don't have a distinct memory of it.

The WCO was a living, breathing thing of beauty during its lifespan during the Walsh years. He was constantly revising stuff to keep defenses off guard -- and he always seemed to push the right buttons.

Trust me -- the WCO ran by Walsh during his final year in 1989 looked nothing like the WCO he introduced in 1979.

I do. Rice didn't do it during the Walsh era though...he did it when Seifert was the HC...vs. the Atlanta Falcons...to JJ Sotkes.
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
I remember a play where Montana was either in shotgun or he dropped back, Roger Craig stepped in front of him and Montana handed it off to him from behind (Roger's back was turned to Montana's )...if anyone remembers it...

I'd forgotten about that play until you made mention of it...
I don't know the actual name of the play, I called it the Wrap-Around-Draw play.
Can't remember the first time (year-wise), or which team Walsh used it against.

I think it was around the goal line and they actually scored on it. Man I wish I could see this play again, I remember them replaying it a bunch and the commentators were in awe of the play.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by zozell:
What was the sickest, most bad ass trick play, gimmick play, wild cat offense play or anything else along those lines that you remember seeing Bill Walsh run? I know the entire WCO was something new that had never been seen before, so we know he was an innovator in that regard, but was there anything that just stood out to you as a cool trick play he ran?

Anything crazy like Montana and Young on the feild together? Direct snaps to RB's? Fake field goals, fake punts etc?

I am old enough (31) to remember watching games back then, but I was a youngin so while I remember that time, I don't remember specific games, plays etc.

Can you guys remember any? Maybe provide a youtube link if possible?

Trick play? Gimmick? Wild Cat?

Do any of these sound like something a well respected Hall of Fame Coach with three Super Bowl Rings would do?

Outside of a wide receiver reverse and a rare flea flicker, Walsh didn't deviate from the system with glitter. More importantly, they didn't need to.

That is perhaps my favorite play of all time. Steve-o has always been my favorite player, and that play is a big part of that.
Share 49ersWebzone