LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Question for the Old Timers about Trick Plays with Walsh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What was the sickest, most bad ass trick play, gimmick play, wild cat offense play or anything else along those lines that you remember seeing Bill Walsh run? I know the entire WCO was something new that had never been seen before, so we know he was an innovator in that regard, but was there anything that just stood out to you as a cool trick play he ran?

Anything crazy like Montana and Young on the feild together? Direct snaps to RB's? Fake field goals, fake punts etc?

I am old enough (31) to remember watching games back then, but I was a youngin so while I remember that time, I don't remember specific games, plays etc.

Can you guys remember any? Maybe provide a youtube link if possible?
Originally posted by zozell:
What was the sickest, most bad ass trick play, gimmick play, wild cat offense play or anything else along those lines that you remember seeing Bill Walsh run? I know the entire WCO was something new that had never been seen before, so we know he was an innovator in that regard, but was there anything that just stood out to you as a cool trick play he ran?

Anything crazy like Montana and Young on the feild together? Direct snaps to RB's? Fake field goals, fake punts etc?

I am old enough (31) to remember watching games back then, but I was a youngin so while I remember that time, I don't remember specific games, plays etc.

Quick Slant and designed pass plays to the RB
Who you callin Old Timer
In the early years -- yes -- but not so much in the later years. We simply didn't need any sort of trickery then. We were the biggest, baddest team in the NFL. We just blew people away week in and week out.

But -- yes -- I do distinctly remember a trick play that he used in preseason no less! It was his first year -- 1979 -- and we kept hearing reports about this vaunted offense -- but Walsh refused to unveil it during preseason.

At any rate -- we were getting blown out of the water by the Seahags of all teams -- when Walsh finally got frustrated by getting pushed around and called a reverse to the tight end.

Nobody had ever seen a tight end reverse before. It was brand spanking new. I can't remember the name of the tight end to be honest -- but I can tell you this much:

He scored easily.
Nice! Keepem comin guys...
I vaguely remember Walsh splitting Montana wide and running Freddie Solomon at QB once or twice. And he was the first to stick a Guard in the backfield as a lead-blocker (Angus Formation) with Guy McIntyre.

But overall I'd say Walsh wasn't huge on gimmicks.
That wasn't ole Bills style, when I think back maybe a reverse Taylor with Taylor putting up a wobbly pass to Rice or Harry Sydney tossing a Half Back Pass?
Walsh called a flee flicker for 15 yards in their first Superbowl. Other than that maybe some reverses. However, you could have called his whole offense at the time (WCO) a trick offense.
[ Edited by vermonator on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
That wasn't ole Bills style, when I think back maybe a reverse Taylor with Taylor putting up a wobbly pass to Rice or Harry Sydney tossing a Half Back Pass?

I think Rice maybe threw a pass or two out of a reverse formation. But I don't have a distinct memory of it.

The WCO was a living, breathing thing of beauty during its lifespan during the Walsh years. He was constantly revising stuff to keep defenses off guard -- and he always seemed to push the right buttons.

Trust me -- the WCO ran by Walsh during his final year in 1989 looked nothing like the WCO he introduced in 1979.
Originally posted by zozell:

Trick play? Gimmick? Wild Cat?

Do any of these sound like something a well respected Hall of Fame Coach with three Super Bowl Rings would do?

Outside of a wide receiver reverse and a rare flea flicker, Walsh didn't deviate from the system with glitter. More importantly, they didn't need to.

• KYBrodie70
  • Info N/A
Walsh would spring the double-reverse almost once a game (especially when he had Jerry Rice). Early on, Walsh would also employ the double-reverse pass with Freddie Solomon throwing the ball.
Watch Russ Francis trick play at 4:10 of this video:

Russ Francis
Originally posted by highwayone:

Russ Francis

Wow. good lookin pass...
Originally posted by highwayone:

Russ Francis

Good stuff.

-9fA
Squib Kick - during the 1st superbowl.

During the superbowl week Ray wershing was slightly injured, he noticed when his short kicks bounces on the rug that it went in all kinds directions and the returner had all sorts of problems fielding the kicks.

So, he used it during the game. Didn't matter if it was the superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone