LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

The Game Of Smith's Career?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Twister68:
Do know which QB is this?

- This 1st round choice is in his mid-20's, has never lead his team to the playoffs
- Has a good young wide receiver, a very good TE and a great RB
- His team is 4-5 this season

My take is that everyone will come into this game looking prove something. The niners want to prove they didn't blow their #1 pick in 05. Rodgers wants to prove they did. Smith wants to prove that he's as good a choice as Rodgers would have been. Hell, McCarthy is probably even hoping to prove that he's the best head coach to come out of Nolan's staff.

Ultimately I see all parties leaving this game with feelings of regret. I think Rodgers will play better than Smith. But I think the rest of the Niners will play better than the rest of the Packers. And both the Niners and Rodgers will go to bed sunday night thinking about what could have been.
  • TFSP
Alex out playing Aaron to me means, not turning the ball over in any fashion, and getting a win. I give a damn about stats. I don't care about how many touch downs and yards each guy gets, because, when that early Sunday game is over, for the rest of that Sunday, I'm going to be drunk, and I want to be a happy drunk! All I care about is the win column.

This is the season of Smith's career. If he folds for the entire season, which he's not on track to do so, but if he does, bye bye.
It's a big game for the 49ers and Alex Smith
Originally posted by Mister49:
Not that there's anything wrong with being a mormon!!

Alex Smith isnt Mormon.......
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Twister68:
Do know which QB is this?

- This 1st round choice is in his mid-20's, has never lead his team to the playoffs
- Has a good young wide receiver, a very good TE and a great RB
- His team is 4-5 this season

There are at least two right answers: Alex Smith and Jay Cutler. The latter is the All World young QB. The same guy who threw 5 picks against us. The one who was a steal for the Bears, a franchise QB, the savior of the Bears.

Alex Smith will never be as good as Manning or Brady but he can be a good NFL player.

What makes me sad is that many fans of his team bash him day after day. Give the guy a chance, he just beat the All World young QB and certainly has not more offensive help than Cutler.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by Mister49:
Not that there's anything wrong with being a mormon!!

Alex Smith isnt Mormon.......

I was just kidding bro! It was just a reference to him coming outta Utah like Steve Young..But i'm aware he's not a mormon...
And before im corrected again,i know Steve Young went to BYU,which IS in Utah!
Originally posted by prime21:
I think this game is extremely important to the growth of Alex, we've watched Alex go through his ups and downs with this team, and we've seen Rodgers take the number one spot from an aging legend, If we lose, do we regret not drafting a young Rodgers instead of Smith? I dont know, but if Smith plans to eventually be a premier QB in this league, he had better start showing signs. In the words of Coach Singletary "I WANT WINNERS!"

every game is the biggest game ever for Alex Smith right now. he has 7 more games to prove himself and after this week it will be 6 then 5 and so on. he is once again trying to prove he is the 9ers franchise qb every game is big.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
I think this game is extremely important to the growth of Alex, we've watched Alex go through his ups and downs with this team, and we've seen Rodgers take the number one spot from an aging legend, If we lose, do we regret not drafting a young Rodgers instead of Smith? I dont know, but if Smith plans to eventually be a premier QB in this league, he had better start showing signs. In the words of Coach Singletary "I WANT WINNERS!"

every game is the biggest game ever for Alex Smith right now. he has 7 more games to prove himself and after this week it will be 6 then 5 and so on. he is once again trying to prove he is the 9ers franchise qb every game is big.

I agree with this...good luck Alex (Having said that)....GO 9ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more important to me the 49ers win this sunday....& every sunday after that
[ Edited by Nes49 on Nov 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM ]
It's not like Rodgers has done anything spectacular either. Who knows how bad he would have been if he were thrown into the same situation Smith was.

The offense will score some points with a comination of Gore and Smith passing. Smith will start to get into a groove and the stout 49ers defense will slow the packers offense. Then Singletary and Raye will go into a shell riding a 3 point lead giving the packers 2 min and 38 seconds left on the clock in the 4th quarter to drive down the field on the 49ers prevent defense.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Agreed. Regardless the remainder of the season is his last tryout for this team. I believe he has to beat the Jaguars, the Cards, The Lions and the Rams to have a shot to be on this squad next year. Note I didn't mention the Packers, Seahawks, and Eagles on the road.

These home games should be no prob and the Rams on the road, well...that should be a snap anyway. If he cannot then A) We will have a pretty crummy record and B) the 49ers better figure something out ASAP. I am not rooting against him, merely a spectator but I do want the team to win and if he can't WIN then love ya, but See ya.
It's a very important game, a win and we hold on to playoff hopes.
Really do hope we win.

If Alex goes at least 6-4 as a starter this season, that'll tell me he's good enough to keep and build around as we look to further improve this team next season. Alex going 6-4 as a starter means we'd finish 9-7 -- A winning record. Though, whether that would get us into the playoffs or not, who knows.
Yup its an important game for him. But so was the one when he replaced Hill, and the Colts game. This game is more of a controversy than anything in my opinion. We have what we have, no sense grinding it to the point it becomes pure idiocy.
Share 49ersWebzone