Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm afraid of what Merril Hodge said about Alex Smith on the radio.

When asked by Murph: "What do you think about Alex Smith? Does he have it to become a starting QB in the NFL?"

Hodge: "No"

He goes on further to say that Alex is inconsistent. He said there are plays set in games where that formation pre-determines a specific type of defense and he is having trouble with executing those plays consistently. These are plays that are practiced and everything works out in the game as the play is designed in practice, yet Alex still has trouble with these types of plays.

Hodge is one VERY credible dude when it comes to breaking down film. Let us hope he is wrong.

Breaking down film and guessing what will happen with a players future are 2 different things

But breaking down film and determining how a play has played is very justifiable. By the way Alex has played up to this point, Hodges' points were very accurate. Alex has trouble with the simplest of plays, even when they work as designed. Remember, nonfunctional? Well, these are plays that turn out as designed meaning the way he practiced them. He needs to be more consistent with these or we don't know how long it may take him to develop. You must draw a line somewhere in terms of length of development.

Do you concider a new OC every year of his career "development"

That has been taken into consideration which is why I was intrigued with what Merril Hodge said. The "basic" plays, as Hodge said, Alex has been inconsistent on. These are plays that pan out in the game as they are practiced. These are plays where it's predictable what look the defense will give you and where you are supposed to throw. It's not that he's crapped out, it's that he's been inconsistent and Hodge said consistency is a fundamental determination of how a player performs.

Hill wasn't all that great but he was consistent in what he did. Alex makes a good decision here but then an errant one there or a good throw here but follows it up with a few bad decisions.

That may come with more experience, let us hope, but his accuracy has been an issue. You can call him 60+ percent accurate but I'm talking about very open throws he is missing. To add, we aren't exactly "airing" it out for him to decrease his percentage either. He is making "safe" throws and still missing too often.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
no
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Matt Barrows interview with Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy all but admits that they were wrong about how they brought in Alex and that Rodgers benefitted from sitting. Which some of us thinks makes sense and some call an "Alexcuse". Whatever.

Interview

He's been sitting for two seasons now, and is in his 5th year of the NFL. So at this point, all that is irrelevent for judging how he is playing this season.

sitting for 2 years yes, same OC no.

fail

Ah, there is always something, huh?

Well, whatever. I really hope he does well. I am tired of no offense with the 49ers. It is not at all fun to watch them flounder every week. I am rooting for him. But I still think he is about C- when we need a solid B to be a playoff contender in the not so challenging NFC West. If he does not look like a B by the end of the season, my fan wishlist is going to be for the team to turn over every rock to find another starter, instead of telling us again to be patient while they develop a guy they drafted six seasons prior.
Matt Barrows interview with Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy all but admits that they were wrong about how they brought in Alex and that Rodgers benefitted from sitting. Which some of us thinks makes sense and some call an "Alexcuse". Whatever.

Interview

He's been sitting for two seasons now, and is in his 5th year of the NFL. So at this point, all that is irrelevent for judging how he is playing this season.

fail

Well, whatever. I really hope he does well. I am tired of no offense with the 49ers. It is not at all fun to watch them flounder every week. I am rooting for him. But I still think he is about C- when we need a solid B to be a playoff contender in the not so challenging NFC West. If he does not look like a B by the end of the season, my fan wishlist is going to be for the team to turn over every rock to find another starter, instead of telling us again to be patient while they develop a guy they drafted six seasons prior.

I think he will be the starter next year as well, I think we have bigger issues that the team will address before they spend another high pick on one of the very mediocre QB's coming out in this upcoming draft.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Interview

fail

I think he will be the starter next year as well, I think we have bigger issues that the team will address before they spend another high pick on one of the very mediocre QB's coming out in this upcoming draft.

I haven't been following the league situation, so I have to claim ignorance...but what I am wishing for is a veteran upgrade so they can improve right away, not another rookie crap shoot.

Interview

fail

I agree currently he is playing at a C level. If you look in the past posts from me in this thread you will see that I gave his performances thus far a C. You should also note that even if the team had Peyton Manning or Tom Brady they to would be performing at a C level with the pathetic attempt the OLine puts out. I am in no way saying he will be a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but I am saying that I believe that if the OLine issue can be fixed then yes Smith can and will be the QB we expected him to be.
D-
Shout out to all the Smith fans! Embarrassing!

It's a QB's world in today's NFL

He's lower than Russell!!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

I'm glad you find it so funny that you laugh at the guy QBing your team. Pathetic.

How many times you plan on posting that today?

never heard of the guy therefore I wouldn't really consider him a credible source. The jury is still out on Smith.

That's pretty bad if Smith is at the bottom, of the bottom. Pretty much he's saying Smith is the worst starting QB in the league right now.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

That's pretty bad if Smith is at the bottom, of the bottom. Pretty much he's saying Smith is the worst starting QB in the league right now.

I am pretty sure this guy is a clown. How can you label a guy a bust on what a total of 2 seasons and a few games

never heard of the guy therefore I wouldn't really consider him a credible source. The jury is still out on Smith.

It's in alphabetical order btw

its ok if any1 acually believes that then they obviously have no clue about football so im asuming hes saying hes a bust after leading a talentless team to a 7-9 record