There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
C.

Better than the old Alex but not where we would want him to be yet.

Well said.

He's played well enough to keep his starting role for the rest of the season, but there is room for improvement.

-9fA
Originally posted by ZRF80:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I gave him a low B because he is functioning successfully in the system up to this point and in the system that is being presented to him. I know the reigns are pretty tight around him thus far and we're running an entirely new offense. We didn't work on the variational spread that we're running now in training camp and he has had little to no time with receivers.

I graded 11 QB's at an A level and 3 F's. One of the A grades went to McNabb but I would give Andy Reid a D for coaching(never runs the ball). One of the F grades went to Kerry Collins who played miserably for a playoff team and quite frankly killed their chances for the playoffs.

The grade should be based on QB's functioning within the system they're given. I would have also given Shaun Hill a B because he functioned well within the system we were trying to run at the time.

I haven't seen Alex Smith show the inability to move the chains. Aside from staring down his receivers he is doing very well. He is reading coverage with a B rating except for Tennessee. In that game he would have graded out a D for lack of awareness. I gave him a B in the Bears game, an A in the Texans game, and a B in the Colts game.

Oh, and coaching up to this point I give a C.

Granted, this is just my own opinion and I'd be happy to hear anyone(with a football brain) who has opposing thoughts.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
I think we all oversimplify, generalize, and overanalyze. We as fans can never see the big picture, can't we just give all this a break. The only relevant debate is Hill vs Smith, and debate is over for now.

Let's analyze Smith and offense more holistically when the season is over.
Based on how hes doing behind a rated D, and thats being generous, offensive line, and on how our playcalling is everywhere.. Alex gets a B-

Now if your just judging off stats, then Alex gets a C
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I gave him a low B because he is functioning successfully in the system up to this point and in the system that is being presented to him. I know the reigns are pretty tight around him thus far and we're running an entirely new offense. We didn't work on the variational spread that we're running now in training camp and he has had little to no time with receivers.

I graded 11 QB's at an A level and 3 F's. One of the A grades went to McNabb but I would give Andy Reid a D for coaching(never runs the ball). One of the F grades went to Kerry Collins who played miserably for a playoff team and quite frankly killed their chances for the playoffs.

The grade should be based on QB's functioning within the system they're given. I would have also given Shaun Hill a B because he functioned well within the system we were trying to run at the time.

I haven't seen Alex Smith show the inability to move the chains. Aside from staring down his receivers he is doing very well. He is reading coverage with a B rating except for Tennessee. In that game he would have graded out a D for lack of awareness. I gave him a B in the Bears game, an A in the Texans game, and a B in the Colts game.

Granted, this is just my own opinion and I'd be happy to hear anyone(with a football brain) who has opposing thoughts.

That's kind of a high grade for coaching on the O side of the ball?

Good luck with your last line, in NT!!!!
Originally posted by BHulman:

I saw some replays of the Bengals and Steelers in the fourth quarter just now. The Bengals brought the heat and Big Ben couldn't get his feet set. As a result, he made bad throws. I remember that Super Bowl a couple of years ago: it was really the first time I could remember that I saw Brady under duress for an entire game and he didn't look like Tom Brady. An offensive line is going to play a big part in how a QB looks. Am I saying that Alex is comparable to Ben and Brady? No, but what I am saying without adequate protection they don't look like themselves either.

I don't know if Smith will shine if this line improves. I am a little worried that he still seems to hesitate and not anticipate. But I do know that the offensive line of the Niners hasn't really helped the throwing game of the Niners for many years. I do know that Alex can do some intriquing things. He can make all of the throws, hit receivers and do things with his feet. It just seems that some of you want him him to fail. Yet if he can succeed this would be the best thing possible for the Niners. Here is to hoping he does.

man z is the biggest hater on this forum always has been
Oh lordy, how these Alex Smith threads always turn out..

What I always see from those who use the term "Alexcuse" as a retort to those who cite the well documented adversity Alex has gone through have a condition where they think a QB is responsible for about 95% of the offense.

And all that other "stuff", the coaching, the running game, the O-line, the Wide Receiver play, the playcalling, the consistency of the team makeup, etc., that's only about 5% of the offense..

Well I'm just going to say that it's more than 5%, and more than 50%. And the 49ers have been quite bad in just about every single area of that other "stuff" since Alex has been here. Now could Alex have been better? Sure! There have been other QBs that have done better in bad situations. Am I convinced that Alex is the future of the 49ers at QB? No I'm not.

But the 49ers have essentially provided the blueprint on how to bust a high draft-pick quarterback with all the changes and the horrible play at critical positions. I mean he was completely annihilated into a 2-year hiatus, and that might've been actually a good thing because of how bad the niners have been. And this year, what has been good about our offense? Davis for sure, and Crabtree has been pretty good for a rookie who missed TC, but beyond that everything is just as bad or worse than the last few years!

I give him a C for the past couple games, but for what he's had to work with, it's tough to judge him. He's had no time to throw, the running game has stunk for the most part and there have been alot of mistakes made by the WRs that have resulted in INTs. What I am sure of is that Alex has improved quite a bit since we last saw him before the injury, and it's clear he's going to improve even more.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

That's kind of a high grade for coaching on the O side of the ball?

Good luck with your last line, in NT!!!!

I was rating coaching on all 3 phases. Offensively, and it pains me to say this, I'd give Raye a very low D but that is without knowing what is going on behind closed doors and without having access to the players.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Oh lordy, how these Alex Smith threads always turn out..

What I always see from those who use the term "Alexcuse" as a retort to those who cite the well documented adversity Alex has gone through have a condition where they think a QB is responsible for about 95% of the offense.

And all that other "stuff", the coaching, the running game, the O-line, the Wide Receiver play, the playcalling, the consistency of the team makeup, etc., that's only about 5% of the offense..

Well I'm just going to say that it's more than 5%, and more than 50%. And the 49ers have been quite bad in just about every single area of that other "stuff" since Alex has been here. Now could Alex have been better? Sure! There have been other QBs that have done better in bad situations. Am I convinced that Alex is the future of the 49ers at QB? No I'm not.

But the 49ers have essentially provided the blueprint on how to bust a high draft-pick quarterback with all the changes and the horrible play at critical positions. I mean he was completely annihilated into a 2-year hiatus, and that might've been actually a good thing because of how bad the niners have been. And this year, what has been good about our offense? Davis for sure, and Crabtree has been pretty good for a rookie who missed TC, but beyond that everything is just as bad or worse than the last few years!

I give him a C for the past couple games, but for what he's had to work with, it's tough to judge him. He's had no time to throw, the running game has stunk for the most part and there have been alot of mistakes made by the WRs that have resulted in INTs. What I am sure of is that Alex has improved quite a bit since we last saw him before the injury, and it's clear he's going to improve even more.

Touche.

It seems that our offense performs very well out of the spread, even when the spread contains two tight ends. We should be in this formation for 85% of the game considering our line is weak and our QB simply reads the defense better in this formation. Not only that but Gore is operating in space on runs and becomes an effective outlet. There are many spread variations but I guess my main point is we are rarely effective our of the eye or any of our 'heavy' formations.
I'd say a C-/D+.

Personally, I don't think the light is ever going to turn on for Smith. I just don't see it happening. If he does, great... but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree with your grades.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
I'd say a C-/D+.

Personally, I don't think the light is ever going to turn on for Smith. I just don't see it happening. If he does, great... but I'm not holding my breath.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
I'd say a C-/D+.

At least you seem to have somewhat of an open mind. That's a lot to ask around here most of the time.
I am one of his biggest critics and I have to say he is playing better than in years past but he still grades out to an F-. He may not be playing like the worst of ALL time (anymore) but he still aint playing better than most 2nd or 3rd stringers in the league. The pining for mediocrity is the cancer that has made us the glorious laughing stock that we have become. 3 cheers for not the worst QB in 75 years!!! Accidental playoffs or bust!!!

Dirty

So if you're teaching a class and you have 3 MENSA members in it you will only give an A to the people who match them?
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
I rated Smith a "C". I think that was a very generous rating. For those that say most of the interceptions were on the WR, balls being tipped by the wide receiver are usually because they are thrown too high. This is a Smith trait. I don't think we have the answer for QB available at this time. Smith will be lucky to get three more wins. If Hill came in, he would probably get one or two more. Only because he would be "up" and outplay his abiliies for the first two or three games. I like him, but he isn't the future either. Maybe good to keep as the backup to whoever is the starting QB next season. I don't think it will be Smith, however, any thing can happen. If Smith would suddenly "get it" I would be real happy. I have been a fan since a couple of years before the Montana period and those wins are the most important thing for us fans. I will always hope we win, no matter who is QB.