Not a member? Register Now!

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I gave him a B by using LOGIC....what kind of chart are you using to not give him a B?

here's a lesson for you.

GIVEN: Smith has the worst OL in football, 2 backup tackles STarting, 2 Horrible Guards, NO time to throw......and still has 6 td's and ONLY 6 int's is great. PUT BRADY, MANNING, and you other great qb's behind OUR OL, they would not do much better.

this concludes the lesson

What a joke. Your "lesson" is flawed because Rodgers is playing with a WORSE offensive line and is putting up better numbers. So if Rodgers can put up great numbers with a worse oline than ours, then what would Brady and Manning do behind our piece of s**t line ?

Lesson over...........

You compare a guy that was brought into the NFL in an ideal situation with someone that was thrown into the grinder, with a different OC every single year, on a worse team. Your logic fails you once again. Hill is done bro, get over it. The only way he ever starts again for the niners is injuries. But you know more than the coaches making the decisions...right?

As I stated above, why do you use Hill as a standard to compare Smith. Everyone's acknowledged that Hill isnt the future; I dont think anyone thought that for one second. He was only a bridge until we could find the next legit guy. You guys think that Smith is the future. So use someone that has credentials when measuring him up. Why Hill ?

Because you keep bringing up Hill. In every thread that you have posted something negative about Smith, you compare Hill to him, saying you'd rather have Hill. I do not know who to compare him to, I haven't seen him top out yet. I do not claim that he will be the next great niner QB. I have seen improvement and the mistakes he is making are mistakes that come from lack of playing time and no longer from bad mechanics or panic. If I had to rate him on his play, I would have to give him an incomplete. Regardless, the fact remains that Smith is the starter for the foreseeable future, maybe even next year. We have to get the line straight no matter who the quarterback is.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by backontop:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I gave him a B by using LOGIC....what kind of chart are you using to not give him a B?

here's a lesson for you.

GIVEN: Smith has the worst OL in football, 2 backup tackles STarting, 2 Horrible Guards, NO time to throw......and still has 6 td's and ONLY 6 int's is great. PUT BRADY, MANNING, and you other great qb's behind OUR OL, they would not do much better.

What a joke. Your "lesson" is flawed because Rodgers is playing with a WORSE offensive line and is putting up better numbers. So if Rodgers can put up great numbers with a worse oline than ours, then what would Brady and Manning do behind our piece of s**t line ?

Lesson over...........

You compare a guy that was brought into the NFL in an ideal situation with someone that was thrown into the grinder, with a different OC every single year, on a worse team. Your logic fails you once again. Hill is done bro, get over it. The only way he ever starts again for the niners is injuries. But you know more than the coaches making the decisions...right?

As I stated above, why do you use Hill as a standard to compare Smith. Everyone's acknowledged that Hill isnt the future; I dont think anyone thought that for one second. He was only a bridge until we could find the next legit guy. You guys think that Smith is the future. So use someone that has credentials when measuring him up. Why Hill ?

because it is clear you are upset that Hill isn't the starting QB anymore.

As Ive said multiple times, I dont wat Hill as starter. As in 2007, when Hill came in and played well..........everyone started making excuses that Hostler changed the playbook and opened up the offense, which he didnt do for Smith/Dilfer. I dont want to hear this crap again. Alex is flushing himself down the toilet right before our eyes. In 3 games so far, he threw 3 INTs in potential game winning drives to help us lose, and the last game.........our coaching staff didnt dare let him throw the ball when he needed to. I think that says enough about what the confidence level in him is.......

you say you don't want Hill as the starter but it is clear you are still upset he got benched over the better option in Smith.

No Im upset that people still think Smith can lead us to a championship. I think he's wasted 4 years for this franchise already, and i dont want a solid defensive unit and a good TE/RB tandem to go to waste. I dont want Ninerbrass to waste precious time waiting for the kid to develop, meanwhile our good players continue to age and get past their prime. I dont want star players like Willis and Gore to get disenchanted and decide to move on to better teams where they have a chance to win. This is what upsets me. We could have gone a long way this season. Unfortunately, we put all our marbles into the Hill/Smith basket. For Hill, I can understand because he came off a strong season towards the end of 2008. But we already knew what to expect from Smith, yet we decided not to address the issue in the offseason, and now look whats happened ? We went from 3-1 heading for division champs to holding on to dear life for a wildcard berth, and in between we've lost to two average to poor teams....

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

As Ive said multiple times, I dont wat Hill as starter. As in 2007, when Hill came in and played well..........everyone started making excuses that Hostler changed the playbook and opened up the offense, which he didnt do for Smith/Dilfer. I dont want to hear this crap again. Alex is flushing himself down the toilet right before our eyes. In 3 games so far, he threw 3 INTs in potential game winning drives to help us lose, and the last game.........our coaching staff didnt dare let him throw the ball when he needed to. I think that says enough about what the confidence level in him is.......

you say you don't want Hill as the starter but it is clear you are still upset he got benched over the better option in Smith.

No Im upset that people still think Smith can lead us to a championship. I think he's wasted 4 years for this franchise already, and i dont want a solid defensive unit and a good TE/RB tandem to go to waste. I dont want Ninerbrass to waste precious time waiting for the kid to develop, meanwhile our good players continue to age and get past their prime. I dont want star players like Willis and Gore to get disenchanted and decide to move on to better teams where they have a chance to win. This is what upsets me. We could have gone a long way this season. Unfortunately, we put all our marbles into the Hill/Smith basket. For Hill, I can understand because he came off a strong season towards the end of 2008. But we already knew what to expect from Smith, yet we decided not to address the issue in the offseason, and now look whats happened ? We went from 3-1 heading for division champs to holding on to dear life for a wildcard berth, and in between we've lost to two average to poor teams....

You seriously blame the bolded on Smith? Did you not see the ATL and Texans game? If Hill were still the QB we would end the season 3-13.

Smith can't lead the team to a championship until the OLine situation is fixed. No QB in the league could bring this team to a championship with this OLine. But hey I guess that is Smith's fault too.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

OK, so you don't like Hill. You don't like Smith. What other options do we have? Don't tell me you want to start Davis.

I dont want to start anyone but Smith. I havent said that we should bench him. Im just giving my analysis on how he's played. Some posters gave him a B, and I just wanted to know what exactly has he done to warrant that grade, especially if Favre/Manning/Brady/Brees get an A. The response I got was that it wasnt his fault, and I got multiple excuses. So I cited examples where he got good play calling (coach), decent time from the oline, and open receivers yet he still made mistakes. Apparently, people feel offended by the truth....

The thing is, you have to look at the situation. Favre, Manning, Brady, and Brees all are in IDEAL situations to succeed. Then you have guys in an ideal situation, but don't get A's, guys like Romo, for example.

Let's say Manning throws for 4,500 yards. He gets an A.

Let's say we draft Bradford and he throws for 2,900 yards in his rookie season. Does that mean since he's 1,600 yards away from catching Manning, he should get a C or a D? You have to look at the situation. If a rookie QB throws for 2,900 yards, I'd consider that a pretty good season, maybe worthy of an A or a B.

The same thing holds true for Smith. He hasn't played in years, has a new OC, no protection, not much WR help, etc. So if you factor all that in, I'd say he's doing a decent job. Trust me, you put Brees on this team, you aren't going to see that much difference.

If I would rate Alex, I'd give him a B-/C+. The most important thing is that he has the potential to improve his grade. It's pretty impressive that he's been able to come right in and take charge of the offense like he has (comparing him to Hill). I mean, Alex's first GAME...check that...Alex's first HALF of football this year was better than any of Hill's full games, halves, quarters, etc.

With Hill, there's no improvement. He was regressing. Most importantly, the guy is going to be 30 years old next season. Again, I hate to keep comparing him to Hill, but the fact of the matter is that he's the guy who he replaced, and so it's important how he compares with him. If he's better than the guy he's replacing, what else can you ask for? We have nobody on our roster right now that's better than Smith, so all the hating and whining really is pointless until next season.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

OK, so you don't like Hill. You don't like Smith. What other options do we have? Don't tell me you want to start Davis.

I dont want to start anyone but Smith. I havent said that we should bench him. Im just giving my analysis on how he's played. Some posters gave him a B, and I just wanted to know what exactly has he done to warrant that grade, especially if Favre/Manning/Brady/Brees get an A. The response I got was that it wasnt his fault, and I got multiple excuses. So I cited examples where he got good play calling (coach), decent time from the oline, and open receivers yet he still made mistakes. Apparently, people feel offended by the truth....

you keep bringing up INT's. WR's is open and then decides to tip the ball 10 ft in the air. How is that Smith's fault again?

The ball was tipped because the receiver was covered. If anything, it couldve been called a pass interference on the defender. Why was Morgan mauled ? Because Smith stared him down and let the defenders collapse. Therefore, you end up:

A) ball tipped because receiver is being heckled.

B) ball being INT, because there are multiple defenders around knowing that Smith is going in that direction.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

You seriously blame the bolded on Smith? Did you not see the ATL and Texans game? If Hill were still the QB we would end the season 3-13.

Smith can't lead the team to a championship until the OLine situation is fixed. No QB in the league could bring this team to a championship with this OLine. But hey I guess that is Smith's fault too.

Yes, I blame Smith for those 2 losses. Not completely, but he was still a factor. As for Hill, thats my point. I understood why they brought him back as starter, but I dont see why we didnt look for a viable backup. Sure, if Hill was always a ? as starter, why not find a suitable replacement if he went down. Why go for someone that has failed miserably everytime he's gotten a shot to play ? And thats my beef.

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Here you go again with your wild assumptions and exaggerations. Smith has only played in 34 games...not four seasons by a long shot. You assume we were headed for a division championship with Hill...really...I mean really...do you honestly believe that? Listen man, the guys that know a lot more about football then either of us put the best player out there. In case you do not remember Hill was not even able to move the ball when he finally got pulled, not only that, but his lack of arm was killing the running game. We were facing stacked fronts consistently, that is why he had to go.

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

you keep bringing up INT's. WR's is open and then decides to tip the ball 10 ft in the air. How is that Smith's fault again?

The ball was tipped because the receiver was covered. If anything, it couldve been called a pass interference on the defender. Why was Morgan mauled ? Because Smith stared him down and let the defenders collapse. Therefore, you end up:

B) ball being INT, because there are multiple defenders around knowing that Smith is going in that direction.

you say to buddy. 4 of the 6 INT's have come off of tipped passes by the WR's not the defender. Someone needs to let these WR's know this is football not volleyball.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

The thing is, you have to look at the situation. Favre, Manning, Brady, and Brees all are in IDEAL situations to succeed. Then you have guys in an ideal situation, but don't get A's, guys like Romo, for example.

Let's say Manning throws for 4,500 yards. He gets an A.

Let's say we draft Bradford and he throws for 2,900 yards in his rookie season. Does that mean since he's 1,600 yards away from catching Manning, he should get a C or a D? You have to look at the situation. If a rookie QB throws for 2,900 yards, I'd consider that a pretty good season, maybe worthy of an A or a B.

The same thing holds true for Smith. He hasn't played in years, has a new OC, no protection, not much WR help, etc. So if you factor all that in, I'd say he's doing a decent job. Trust me, you put Brees on this team, you aren't going to see that much difference.

If I would rate Alex, I'd give him a B-/C+. The most important thing is that he has the potential to improve his grade. It's pretty impressive that he's been able to come right in and take charge of the offense like he has (comparing him to Hill). I mean, Alex's first GAME...check that...Alex's first HALF of football this year was better than any of Hill's full games, halves, quarters, etc.

With Hill, there's no improvement. He was regressing. Most importantly, the guy is going to be 30 years old next season. Again, I hate to keep comparing him to Hill, but the fact of the matter is that he's the guy who he replaced, and so it's important how he compares with him. If he's better than the guy he's replacing, what else can you ask for? We have nobody on our roster right now that's better than Smith, so all the hating and whining really is pointless until next season.

No, I totally disagree. You're trying to give Smith an escape route by saying he's more like Bradford than Brees. Smith was drafted in 2005....I repeat, in 2005 ! He's had plenty of time to learn the game of football. He's sat on the bench and watched, which gives you ample time to learn the game. He's had ample time in practice to work on his mechanics, and he's played as starter.......so he knows the speed of the game. This isnt a rookie getting his feet wet. This is supposedly a seasoned veteran with over 2 seasons as starter under his belt, and 2 seasons of watching tape from the bench. You think by this time, he'd have a feel for the game and not stare down receivers, throw dumb INTs, and have his coaching staff lose confidence in him against a poor frnachise (Bears). Am I seeing something you guys arent ?

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

you say to buddy. 4 of the 6 INT's have come off of tipped passes by the WR's not the defender. Someone needs to let these WR's know this is football not volleyball.

Wasting your time trying to reason with someone that houses an unreasonable hate for Smith.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Here you go again with your wild assumptions and exaggerations. Smith has only played in 34 games...not four seasons by a long shot. You assume we were headed for a division championship with Hill...really...I mean really...do you honestly believe that? Listen man, the guys that know a lot more about football then either of us put the best player out there. In case you do not remember Hill was not even able to move the ball when he finally got pulled, not only that, but his lack of arm was killing the running game. We were facing stacked fronts consistently, that is why he had to go.

Funny, those same guys dont want Smith to have the ball in his hands when the game's on the line. Ironic, isnt it ?
  • B650
  • Veteran

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Yes, I blame Smith for those 2 losses. Not completely, but he was still a factor. As for Hill, thats my point. I understood why they brought him back as starter, but I dont see why we didnt look for a viable backup. Sure, if Hill was always a ? as starter, why not find a suitable replacement if he went down. Why go for someone that has failed miserably everytime he's gotten a shot to play ? And thats my beef.

You're starting to lose it bro. You're going to blame Smith for the Falcons game? He didn't even play. What, was he holding the clipboard wrong? Let's hold Shaun Hill accountable for this pathetic play, please. He's responsible for the loss against the Falcons. He's responsible for the loss against the Texans. Hill went 3-3. Alex is 1-2. If Alex was playing the Seahawks and Rams just like Hill, we'd have the same results. Unfortunately, he hasn't. He's played 3 pretty good teams in a row. What's even worse for Hill is that he didn't really contribute to the win against the lowly Rams. The offense put up 14 points in that game. We had a 7-0 lead at the half, and that was a result of a special teams TD.

I don't know how else to say it.

Hill
is
not
an
NFL
starting
QB

Let it go, just let it go. Smith is the guy now. Whether he's the next Peyton Manning or not doesn't really matter right now. He's an improvement over the guy he replaced, and we're out of options.

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Funny, those same guys dont want Smith to have the ball in his hands when the game's on the line. Ironic, isnt it ?

All that says is that they trust the defense more than the offense. He has the ball in his hands every single snap that isn't a wildcat by the way.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Why does this happen with only our receivers, an no one else ? Must be coincidence. Whats even more glaring is its only happening with Smith. Why werent there any tipped passes when Hill was throwing ? Oh, I get it. Smith throws like Favre. His balls are too uncatchable. But wait. Minnesota doesnt have the best receivers either, but those guys dont seem to be having trouble with Favre's darts. Hmmmm........I smell conspiracy, dont you ?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
He is completing 64% of his passes which is better than his 57% carear average. He needs to cut down on interceptions and make the team believe in him

But we will see if he is the future or if he will be better on another team someday