Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by BHulman:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I saw some replays of the Bengals and Steelers in the fourth quarter just now. The Bengals brought the heat and Big Ben couldn't get his feet set. As a result, he made bad throws. I remember that Super Bowl a couple of years ago: it was really the first time I could remember that I saw Brady under duress for an entire game and he didn't look like Tom Brady. An offensive line is going to play a big part in how a QB looks. Am I saying that Alex is comparable to Ben and Brady? No, but what I am saying without adequate protection they don't look like themselves either.

I don't know if Smith will shine if this line improves. I am a little worried that he still seems to hesitate and not anticipate. But I do know that the offensive line of the Niners hasn't really helped the throwing game of the Niners for many years. I do know that Alex can do some intriquing things. He can make all of the throws, hit receivers and do things with his feet. It just seems that some of you want him him to fail. Yet if he can succeed this would be the best thing possible for the Niners. Here is to hoping he does.

The difference is that Brady and Big Ben have both shined when their lines are doing well. Smith has not. The 2 picks he threw on the final drives against Tennessee (worst ranked defense) werent throws under pressure where he had to get the ball out. They were just bad throws. The INT he threw against HOU to end the game wasnt a pressured throw...just a bad read by him. I dont think its fair to use Brady, Roethlisberger, and Smith in the same sentence because Smith has never done anything to prove he can play like them........

The pick against Houston was thrown in a collapsing pocket. Let's be fair or there is really no way to evaluate.

If you want to play "fair", then you can acknowledge that the line gave him plenty of time on that play to make something happen. The pocket didnt collapse right off the bat. Not mention you can see on the screen that he had a receiver open on an out route.

Both throws into coverage with the pocket giving him time to make a play.

Doesnt seem Brady-like to me............

Really? So Brady has never thrown an INT when he's had enough time?

I'm sorry, but the way people argue on here makes me think that the 49ers have the dumbest fans in the league.

Im sorry, but Im not going to excuse Alex because Brady also throws INTs. The OP used Brady and Roethlisberger as "standards" by which to compare Smith. Yes, he didnt say Smith was as good as them, but he said that given the time by the oline, those QBs could make things happen, whereas poor oline play caused them to lose games. I responded by demonstrating that Alex has LOST us games despite having plenty of time to throw. Do Brady and Big Ben throw big INTs when it counts ? Sure they do. But for every INT they throw that costs their team a game, they make 10 good ones that help their teams win games. Can you say the same for Smith ? Yeah, I didnt think so......

No, you can't. Why don't we all do an all-out comparison though? Brady's OL and his WRs: how do they compare with ours? How about Manning's? Big Ben's? How about their OCs? Do they take the ball out of their hands or allow them to make plays?

I'm not saying Smith is anywhere near any of the QBs I've mentioned, but he has a lot going against him. He's making small strides though. Remember, he's only 25 years old.

All I know is that I'd rather throw for 286 yards and lose by 7 than watch Shaun Hill's snail-like offense put up 100 yards of passing with no turnovers. It's painful to watch. At least Smith moves the ball. If only he can stop throwing as many INTs, we have ourselves a QB.

What's it going to take for Shaun Hill to be an effective QB? Steroids? How can he improve? He's too limited to be a starter in this league, so right now, we're stuck with Smith.

Ah, yes. The eternal excuse for Alex Smith. Lets see. You used:

A) He's only 25 years old
B) no supporting cast
C) coordinator

Same s**t Ive been hearing since the guy was drafted. BTW, why do you guys always use Hill as a standard for comparing Smith ? This isnt a "lets compare Smith to Hill" thread. If Smith is the future for us, shouldnt you guys be using someone a little more "legit" to compare Smith to ?
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I saw some replays of the Bengals and Steelers in the fourth quarter just now. The Bengals brought the heat and Big Ben couldn't get his feet set. As a result, he made bad throws. I remember that Super Bowl a couple of years ago: it was really the first time I could remember that I saw Brady under duress for an entire game and he didn't look like Tom Brady. An offensive line is going to play a big part in how a QB looks. Am I saying that Alex is comparable to Ben and Brady? No, but what I am saying without adequate protection they don't look like themselves either.

I don't know if Smith will shine if this line improves. I am a little worried that he still seems to hesitate and not anticipate. But I do know that the offensive line of the Niners hasn't really helped the throwing game of the Niners for many years. I do know that Alex can do some intriquing things. He can make all of the throws, hit receivers and do things with his feet. It just seems that some of you want him him to fail. Yet if he can succeed this would be the best thing possible for the Niners. Here is to hoping he does.

The difference is that Brady and Big Ben have both shined when their lines are doing well. Smith has not. The 2 picks he threw on the final drives against Tennessee (worst ranked defense) werent throws under pressure where he had to get the ball out. They were just bad throws. The INT he threw against HOU to end the game wasnt a pressured throw...just a bad read by him. I dont think its fair to use Brady, Roethlisberger, and Smith in the same sentence because Smith has never done anything to prove he can play like them........

The pick against Houston was thrown in a collapsing pocket. Let's be fair or there is really no way to evaluate.

If you want to play "fair", then you can acknowledge that the line gave him plenty of time on that play to make something happen. The pocket didnt collapse right off the bat. Not mention you can see on the screen that he had a receiver open on an out route.

Both throws into coverage with the pocket giving him time to make a play.

Doesnt seem Brady-like to me............

Really? So Brady has never thrown an INT when he's had enough time?

I'm sorry, but the way people argue on here makes me think that the 49ers have the dumbest fans in the league.

Im sorry, but Im not going to excuse Alex because Brady also throws INTs. The OP used Brady and Roethlisberger as "standards" by which to compare Smith. Yes, he didnt say Smith was as good as them, but he said that given the time by the oline, those QBs could make things happen, whereas poor oline play caused them to lose games. I responded by demonstrating that Alex has LOST us games despite having plenty of time to throw. Do Brady and Big Ben throw big INTs when it counts ? Sure they do. But for every INT they throw that costs their team a game, they make 10 good ones that help their teams win games. Can you say the same for Smith ? Yeah, I didnt think so......

No, you can't. Why don't we all do an all-out comparison though? Brady's OL and his WRs: how do they compare with ours? How about Manning's? Big Ben's? How about their OCs? Do they take the ball out of their hands or allow them to make plays?

I'm not saying Smith is anywhere near any of the QBs I've mentioned, but he has a lot going against him. He's making small strides though. Remember, he's only 25 years old.

All I know is that I'd rather throw for 286 yards and lose by 7 than watch Shaun Hill's snail-like offense put up 100 yards of passing with no turnovers. It's painful to watch. At least Smith moves the ball. If only he can stop throwing as many INTs, we have ourselves a QB.

What's it going to take for Shaun Hill to be an effective QB? Steroids? How can he improve? He's too limited to be a starter in this league, so right now, we're stuck with Smith.

Ah, yes. The eternal excuse for Alex Smith. Lets see. You used:

A) He's only 25 years old
B) no supporting cast
C) coordinator

Same s**t Ive been hearing since the guy was drafted. BTW, why do you guys always use Hill as a standard for comparing Smith ? This isnt a "lets compare Smith to Hill" thread. If Smith is the future for us, shouldnt you guys be using someone a little more "legit" to compare Smith to ?

The reason you continue to hear about those issues is because guess what? They still have not been addressed. Call me crazy but isn't the definition insane something along the lines of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result? Just a thought.
Originally posted by elguapo:

I gave him a B by using LOGIC....what kind of chart are you using to not give him a B?

here's a lesson for you.

GIVEN: Smith has the worst OL in football, 2 backup tackles STarting, 2 Horrible Guards, NO time to throw......and still has 6 td's and ONLY 6 int's is great. PUT BRADY, MANNING, and you other great qb's behind OUR OL, they would not do much better.

this concludes the lesson

What a joke. Your "lesson" is flawed because Rodgers is playing with a WORSE offensive line and is putting up better numbers. So if Rodgers can put up great numbers with a worse oline than ours, then what would Brady and Manning do behind our piece of s**t line ?

Lesson over...........

You compare a guy that was brought into the NFL in an ideal situation with someone that was thrown into the grinder, with a different OC every single year, on a worse team. Your logic fails you once again. Hill is done bro, get over it. The only way he ever starts again for the niners is injuries. But you know more than the coaches making the decisions...right?
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by backontop:

I gave him a B by using LOGIC....what kind of chart are you using to not give him a B?

here's a lesson for you.

GIVEN: Smith has the worst OL in football, 2 backup tackles STarting, 2 Horrible Guards, NO time to throw......and still has 6 td's and ONLY 6 int's is great. PUT BRADY, MANNING, and you other great qb's behind OUR OL, they would not do much better.

What a joke. Your "lesson" is flawed because Rodgers is playing with a WORSE offensive line and is putting up better numbers. So if Rodgers can put up great numbers with a worse oline than ours, then what would Brady and Manning do behind our piece of s**t line ?

Lesson over...........

Does Rodgers OC and HC go into a shell every time something goes wrong or the team is up by 4 pts?

Doesnt it make you wonder why they go into that shell ? It's not like Smith threw multiple game ending INTs to lose the game...........geez, I wonder what they were thinking.

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Does Rodgers OC and HC go into a shell every time something goes wrong or the team is up by 4 pts?

Doesnt it make you wonder why they go into that shell ? It's not like Smith threw multiple game ending INTs to lose the game...........geez, I wonder what they were thinking.

so when the team was up by 1 and 4 points going into a shell for what reason again?
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

You compare a guy that was brought into the NFL in an ideal situation with someone that was thrown into the grinder, with a different OC every single year, on a worse team. Your logic fails you once again. Hill is done bro, get over it. The only way he ever starts again for the niners is injuries. But you know more than the coaches making the decisions...right?

As I stated above, why do you use Hill as a standard to compare Smith. Everyone's acknowledged that Hill isnt the future; I dont think anyone thought that for one second. He was only a bridge until we could find the next legit guy. You guys think that Smith is the future. So use someone that has credentials when measuring him up. Why Hill ?

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

As I stated above, why do you use Hill as a standard to compare Smith. Everyone's acknowledged that Hill isnt the future; I dont think anyone thought that for one second. He was only a bridge until we could find the next legit guy. You guys think that Smith is the future. So use someone that has credentials when measuring him up. Why Hill ?

because it is clear you are upset that Hill isn't the starting QB anymore.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

so when the team was up by 1 and 4 points going into a shell for what reason again?

Sing and Raye, being ultraconservative, still opened up the game for Hill when it counted. They gave him an opportunity to win it with his arm. Did it always work out ? No..by far. But they still gave him a shot. Smith's had 2 opportunities to finish games since he became starter. He flopped both times at the end. You can see why Sing made sure he wouldnt do it again..........

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Sing and Raye, being ultraconservative, still opened up the game for Hill when it counted. They gave him an opportunity to win it with his arm. Did it always work out ? No..by far. But they still gave him a shot. Smith's had 2 opportunities to finish games since he became starter. He flopped both times at the end. You can see why Sing made sure he wouldnt do it again..........

Smith has 6 INT's and 4 of those are on the WR and there pathetic attempt at catching the ball. Is it Smith's fault that the WR tipped the ball 10 ft in the air? Just face it Hill isn't the starting QB again and he won't be unless Smith gets hurt. Even then I feel they will sign someone and have them start over Hill in that case.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

As Ive said multiple times, I dont wat Hill as starter. As in 2007, when Hill came in and played well..........everyone started making excuses that Hostler changed the playbook and opened up the offense, which he didnt do for Smith/Dilfer. I dont want to hear this crap again. Alex is flushing himself down the toilet right before our eyes. In 3 games so far, he threw 3 INTs in potential game winning drives to help us lose, and the last game.........our coaching staff didnt dare let him throw the ball when he needed to. I think that says enough about what the confidence level in him is.......

• B650
  • Veteran

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

As Ive said multiple times, I dont wat Hill as starter. As in 2007, when Hill came in and played well..........everyone started making excuses that Hostler changed the playbook and opened up the offense, which he didnt do for Smith/Dilfer. I dont want to hear this crap again. Alex is flushing himself down the toilet right before our eyes. In 3 games so far, he threw 3 INTs in potential game winning drives to help us lose, and the last game.........our coaching staff didnt dare let him throw the ball when he needed to. I think that says enough about what the confidence level in him is.......

OK, so you don't like Hill. You don't like Smith. What other options do we have? Don't tell me you want to start Davis.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Smith has 6 INT's and 4 of those are on the WR and there pathetic attempt at catching the ball. Is it Smith's fault that the WR tipped the ball 10 ft in the air? Just face it Hill isn't the starting QB again and he won't be unless Smith gets hurt. Even then I feel they will sign someone and have them start over Hill in that case.

Sorry, I dont buy "it was the receivers fault" for INTs. You might as well blame God for all I care. If your QB throws it, it's his fault. Doesnt matter whether God, the defender, receiver, fan in the crowd, coach, or a flying bird just happened to tip it. Nince try though....

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

you say you don't want Hill as the starter but it is clear you are still upset he got benched over the better option in Smith.
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

OK, so you don't like Hill. You don't like Smith. What other options do we have? Don't tell me you want to start Davis.

I dont want to start anyone but Smith. I havent said that we should bench him. Im just giving my analysis on how he's played. Some posters gave him a B, and I just wanted to know what exactly has he done to warrant that grade, especially if Favre/Manning/Brady/Brees get an A. The response I got was that it wasnt his fault, and I got multiple excuses. So I cited examples where he got good play calling (coach), decent time from the oline, and open receivers yet he still made mistakes. Apparently, people feel offended by the truth....

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

I dont want to start anyone but Smith. I havent said that we should bench him. Im just giving my analysis on how he's played. Some posters gave him a B, and I just wanted to know what exactly has he done to warrant that grade, especially if Favre/Manning/Brady/Brees get an A. The response I got was that it wasnt his fault, and I got multiple excuses. So I cited examples where he got good play calling (coach), decent time from the oline, and open receivers yet he still made mistakes. Apparently, people feel offended by the truth....

you keep bringing up INT's. WR's is open and then decides to tip the ball 10 ft in the air. How is that Smith's fault again?
Share 49ersWebzone