LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Let Alex play next year till McCoy is ready to take over, then be rid of our wasted #1 pick('');
[ Edited by tbyrdc3 on Nov 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM ]
Originally posted by tbyrdc3:
Let Alex play next year till McCoy is ready to take over, then be rid of our wasted #1 pick('');

No thanks
HEY LOOK!!!!

...it's a bell curve.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I saw some replays of the Bengals and Steelers in the fourth quarter just now. The Bengals brought the heat and Big Ben couldn't get his feet set. As a result, he made bad throws. I remember that Super Bowl a couple of years ago: it was really the first time I could remember that I saw Brady under duress for an entire game and he didn't look like Tom Brady. An offensive line is going to play a big part in how a QB looks. Am I saying that Alex is comparable to Ben and Brady? No, but what I am saying without adequate protection they don't look like themselves either.

I don't know if Smith will shine if this line improves. I am a little worried that he still seems to hesitate and not anticipate. But I do know that the offensive line of the Niners hasn't really helped the throwing game of the Niners for many years. I do know that Alex can do some intriquing things. He can make all of the throws, hit receivers and do things with his feet. It just seems that some of you want him him to fail. Yet if he can succeed this would be the best thing possible for the Niners. Here is to hoping he does.

People want him to fail so we can finally move on.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I saw some replays of the Bengals and Steelers in the fourth quarter just now. The Bengals brought the heat and Big Ben couldn't get his feet set. As a result, he made bad throws. I remember that Super Bowl a couple of years ago: it was really the first time I could remember that I saw Brady under duress for an entire game and he didn't look like Tom Brady. An offensive line is going to play a big part in how a QB looks. Am I saying that Alex is comparable to Ben and Brady? No, but what I am saying without adequate protection they don't look like themselves either.

I don't know if Smith will shine if this line improves. I am a little worried that he still seems to hesitate and not anticipate. But I do know that the offensive line of the Niners hasn't really helped the throwing game of the Niners for many years. I do know that Alex can do some intriquing things. He can make all of the throws, hit receivers and do things with his feet. It just seems that some of you want him him to fail. Yet if he can succeed this would be the best thing possible for the Niners. Here is to hoping he does.

People want him to fail so we can finally move on.

can we not move on if he succeeds?
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
C

He's doing alright but nothing that I'm drooling about. He shows signs of getting better but at times he looks like the same old Smith. The OL isn't helping one bit either + Raye so that's why I'm giving him a C.

He needs to show he can take this team and win a game against a GOOD team, regardless of our s**tty OL and our idiot of OC. Franchise QB's do it all the time when facing adversity, I would love for him to do that.

This
Originally posted by luv49rs:
F

How can you give him an F? He hasn't done any worse than Hill has, he's completing 64% of his passes, has a higher yards per completion, and is moving the chains better. This just seems like pure hatred to me. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't set the NFL on fire yet, but I think he atleast deserves a D. I gave him a C. He had 1 good game(Houston), 2 ok games (Chi, Indy), and in his bad game(TN) he still had 286 yards and 2 TDs, he just screwed up with turnovers.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by luv49rs:
F

How can you give him an F? He hasn't done any worse than Hill has, he's completing 64% of his passes, has a higher yards per completion, and is moving the chains better. This just seems like pure hatred to me. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't set the NFL on fire yet, but I think he atleast deserves a D. I gave him a C. He had 1 good game(Houston), 2 ok games (Chi, Indy), and in his bad game(TN) he still had 286 yards and 2 TDs, he just screwed up with turnovers.

some people have a hatred for Smith so strong that they refuse to believe he is capable of doing anything other than failing. It is sad really when you think about it
  • TDking876
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by B650:
Another Smith thread.

yeah incase u havnt noticed he has been a pretty big deal.

• TDking876
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by tbyrdc3:
Let Alex play next year till McCoy is ready to take over, then be rid of our wasted #1 pick('');[/quo

C in my book. The more he starts the better he is going to be. Breakout game against the Pack this week!!!

Yes I'm on the Alex bandwagon!!!
  • ZRF80

The difference is that Brady and Big Ben have both shined when their lines are doing well. Smith has not. The 2 picks he threw on the final drives against Tennessee (worst ranked defense) werent throws under pressure where he had to get the ball out. They were just bad throws. The INT he threw against HOU to end the game wasnt a pressured throw...just a bad read by him. I dont think its fair to use Brady, Roethlisberger, and Smith in the same sentence because Smith has never done anything to prove he can play like them........

my thoughts exactly. most people don't take that into consideration when they pass judgment on Smith or any struggling QB for that matter. whether Smith will perform like the Brady's and the Mannings of the world once he has a decent line to actually give him time to go through his progressions is yet to be seen. But from what I've seen when Smith actually has time he does a pretty good job.

The difference is that Brady and Big Ben have both shined when their lines are doing well. Smith has not. The 2 picks he threw on the final drives against Tennessee (worst ranked defense) werent throws under pressure where he had to get the ball out. They were just bad throws. The INT he threw against HOU to end the game wasnt a pressured throw...just a bad read by him. I dont think its fair to use Brady, Roethlisberger, and Smith in the same sentence because Smith has never done anything to prove he can play like them........

Worst ranked pass defense due to both of their starting CB's being out for most of the season (Finnegan & Hood) they were starting against us. Not defensing Smith or anything just saying.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone