There are 242 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Exactly... But, the O-line does not make a QB elite; that's all I'm saying. The QB must do that on his own.

Well we will never have an Elite QB until we have a solid OLine so why is everyone crying for Smith's head on a plate?

Have you watched this kid play? He's still staring down receivers, has problems seeing the safety, getting the play off in time, seeing the entire field, decision making, etc...

I, for one, am not impressed with his play and when you're talking about the what have you done for me lately league; 6 losses out of his last 7 starts doesn't inspire much confidence. Especially when a lesser talented QB (Hill) has been able to get us 4 wins out of his last 7 games with the same O-line and team talent.

yes I have seen him play. I have seen him play better than he had in the past and with him only 3 games back from being out of football for 2 years I will wait to make a verdict on Smith. Hill didn't get those 4 wins the defense did. When the defense couldn't get it done we lost and why you ask? Because Hill is a career 3rd string QB and nothing more.

You do know Hill was a career 3rd stringer for five years and has had more success starting than Smith. You do know Smith has been here for 5 years and he's been beaten out by two "career 5 year" 3rd stringers. Smith has still more to prove in his 5th year than what this 3rd stringer for 5 years has done.

You also know that saying Smith has improved isn't saying much. I mean if it is, then Hill has improved 10-fold over his 3rd string career.
  • Mex49
What does it matter? He is starting until he gets hurt or replaced next year. Deal with it.
Originally posted by Mex49:
What does it matter? He is starting until he gets hurt or replaced next year. Deal with it.

right!

I wouldn't bet on it. If he tanks the next two or three games .. we could have a QB carousel. Singletary DOESN"T have patience when it comes to failure. We've already seen a lot of that.

... and if it seems like the season is about to go down the drain, we're even likely to see Nate Davis behind the helm just to see if he can do any better.

And why not? He needs to see what he's got in his QB's and make the necessary preparations for the upcoming draft. Will he need or not need a QB? .. and what point in the draft does he select one? First, Second .. Third Selection?
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

I wouldn't bet on it. If he tanks the next two or three games .. we could have a QB carousel. Singletary DOESN"T have patience when it comes to failure. We've already seen a lot of that.

... and if it seems like the season is about to go down the drain, we're even likely to see Nate Davis behind the helm just to see if he can do any better.

And why not? He needs to see what he's got in his QB's and make the necessary preparations for the upcoming draft. Will he need or not need a QB? .. and what point in the draft does he select one? First, Second .. Third Selection?

lol The same Nate Davis that's been practicing as a DB on the scout team? Dude's a dyslexic rookie man, throwing him in there would get him killed.

Smith starts the rest of the season and if he's good enough he'll be the starter next year with Nate D backing him up.
I really liked the play of Davis in preseason but it would probably be best for him to be brought along slowly.
I can't believe people actually want to see Nate Davis take over this team. Who next? Battle? Robinson? Vick? HA!

sorry don't plan on Smith being taken out even if he tanks the next 2 games. He will be the starter for the remainder of the season.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
I can't believe people actually want to see Nate Davis take over this team. Who next? Battle? Robinson? Vick? HA!

I don't agree that Davis should replace Alex any time soon, but if the point comes when the season is lost, why not?

Who is it going to hurt to see the rookie play? There are plenty of quarterbacks who have played in their rookie year and haven't ended up with damaged psyche's or physical disabilities.

Nate will make plenty of mistakes, sure, but if the season is behind us, than why the heck not get him some experience? Hopefully its not debatable that Nate Davis has looked better in the time he has played then any other rookie quarterback we have had in a LONG time (with the possible exception of Smith, because he was pretty good in the pre-season in his rookie year). Yes, he only played in the pre-season, so therefore, if the season is lost, why on earth would we not want to give him some experience and see what he can do in the regular season?

Obviously, Singletary will not do it until we are mathematically out of the playoff picture.

sorry don't plan on Smith being taken out even if he tanks the next 2 games. He will be the starter for the remainder of the season.

and Singletary can kiss his job good bye....and if this is indeed the case.....he would deserve it...and I'm a Singletary fan.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

and Singletary can kiss his job good bye....and if this is indeed the case.....he would deserve it...and I'm a Singletary fan.

The Hill supporters coming out under their rocks now invading all the threads...

• ZRF80
Originally posted by B650:

The Hill supporters coming out under their rocks now invading all the threads...

Ummm, we're Niner supporters. And we want the best players on the field at all times. Im sorry that you cannot see that Smith is not one of them...

STOP FOLLOWING ME

but is it not true.... if Sing goes out like Nolan...betting all his cards on Alex if Alex is tankx these next few games????.... Young Jed would have a reason to fire the guy... I mean he did say on camera that last year was the last year our season ends early.
  • B650
  • Veteran

STOP FOLLOWING ME

but is it not true.... if Sing goes out like Nolan...betting all his cards on Alex if Alex is tankx these next few games????.... Young Jed would have a reason to fire the guy... I mean he did say on camera that last year was the last year our season ends early.

He did say that, but I think he realizes that the way things were headed with Hill at QB, our season would've ended in November, not December. The bottom line is that you could argue it either way. You could say Jed could fire Singletary if he leaves Hill in there, or you could say Jed could fire Singletary if he puts Smith in there. I don't think the lack of a QB on this team should have anything to do with Singletary's job security.
[ Edited by B650 on Nov 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM ]

STOP FOLLOWING ME

He did say that, but I think he realizes that the way things were headed with Hill at QB, our season would've ended in November, not December. The bottom line is that you could argue it either way. You could say Jed could fire Singletary if he leaves Hill in there, or you could say Jed could fire Singletary if he puts Smith in there. I don't think the lack of a QB on this team should have anything to do with Singletary's job security.

exactly! Singletary won't get fired for putting the best QB option we have on the team under center. If he would have left Hill as the QB he might as well have just quit because he would have been fired for sure!
Share 49ersWebzone