LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Do Fans Have a Say....

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do Fans Have a Say....

I just find it a little odd. We complain about offensive production. Hill is benched. Smith starts to make throws. WE complain to reporters and in chat forums, then reporters complain that Sing isnt opening up the offense. Sing does, more INT's (whether deflections or not doesn't matter), then cohen turns right around and asks. Hey why did you open it up more. To which Sing looks at him like he's fresh bait, and asks him are you serious, you got to be kidding.

So i mean of course not a ton of input cuz we arent on the field, in the locker room or make any of the plays.

But i wonder, in a way are our voices heard. What do you guys think?
no
[ Edited by valrod33 on Nov 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM ]
I don't think we have a "Say" but I do feel fans are heard by the coaches and player more than in the seventies or eighties, the explosion of Sport talk radio in the eighties and the invention of the internet have given the fan more ways to communicate with players, coaches and ownership.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Our voices are heard, but most of the fans are clueless and I think teams understand that. Just read some of the posts on this forum and you'll see what I mean.

Teams aren't going to decide what to do or not to do based soley on what fans want, but I think the bottom line is that without the fans, there is no NFL, so we do have some impact. The fans and reporters put pressure on the team sometimes. Look at Singletary. He got frustrated at one point, saying something to the effect of, "You asked me why I didn't do it. Now I do it, and you're asking me why I did it."

In short, I believe we do have a say, but it isn't a very big say.
No...and it is a good thing seeing as how the average fan don't know jack about the game. We are lucky to have as many here as we do that can actually talk football with knowledge consisting of more than Madden.
God I hope not!
Not in this market.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If fans have a say then that means the coach has no balls.
I hope they don't listen to us because 99% of us don't know what the hell we are talking about or else we would have their job.
Yes, but only in the sense that we as fans can decide whether or not we agree with the team's direction by choosing if we want to spend our money on tickets and merchandise.

Aside from that, fans do not and should not have any say whatsoever.

Good question, i am not really sure if we are heard or not but in case if we are, that is pretty scary. Imigane a coach having to make a decision based on what the fans think, that is pretty scary. a coach should be more knowlegable than any fan, or he should not be coaching
I wonder if the fans in Green Bay have a say since they own the team.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Good question. Do they have shareholder meetings where they have input I wonder?
Depends on the franchise

Browns fans meet with owner Lerner, say 'he wants to win'

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Die-hard Browns fan Mike Randall made sure he put on his Sunday best for his important meeting with team owner Randy Lerner.

He wore a giant plastic dog bone hat.

The season-ticket holder, aka "Dawg Pound Mike," one of the best known members of Cleveland's rabid bleacher section of fans, spent two hours on Tuesday meeting with Lerner, who stepped away from a turbulent week and his busy schedule for the visit.
Randall and his friend, Tony Schafer, have been encouraging others to stay out of their seats for the opening kickoff of Cleveland's next home game on Nov. 16 to protest the Browns' futility. The fans were scheduled to spend 30 minutes with Lerner but ended up staying much longer.

"It was great," Randall said. "How many owners would spend two hours meeting with two fans? None."

Randall said Lerner was receptive to their ideas for improving the Browns' game-day experience at Cleveland Browns Stadium and even tossed out a few of his own. Randall, who has met Lerner several times, came away impressed with the owner's passion and determination to get the Browns turned around.

"He's doing everything he can to improve the Browns," Randall said. "He wants it to happen — now."

Lerner's meeting with the fans came less than 24 hours after general manager George Kokinis was removed from his job, the latest upheaval for a franchise that has made the playoffs just once since 1999 and is on its fourth head coach in 10 years.

The camera-shy Lerner has yet to address the circumstances surrounding Kokinis' departure.

Randall said Lerner liked the fans' idea for displaying some of the team's championship banners and retired jersey numbers inside the stadium. Lerner also seemed unaware of the strict security measures in place at the stadium, a zero-tolerance policy that has upset some Cleveland fans.

"He's a fan, just like us," Randall said. "He wants what's best for Cleveland and I believe him. He wants to win."

Randall said he and Schafer are going forward with the "Brown out" protest despite their meeting with Lerner. They will consider canceling it if Lerner agrees to speak to Browns fans, who walked out by the thousands during the second half of a recent home loss to Green Bay.

Randall said he presented Lerner with a quote from Theodore Roosevelt that he felt best summed up his desire to have Browns fans heard.

"It says, 'In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing,"' Randall said. "Randy liked that. We're doing something. So is he."

Link
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Good question. Do they have shareholder meetings where they have input I wonder?

I think as 'owners' they get to vote who gets on the board of directors to make operational decision. Otherwise, they would have to send out a letter every time a football decision is made. Those cheese heads don't have enough brains for that
Share 49ersWebzone