There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex with an offseason as the starter

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by smileyman:

I've been a big Alex Smith supporter and I think he has had a tough time of it, but for him it's this year or bust.

And you know this how??? Maybe next year there are some key FA moves and draft picks that solidify the OLine and essentially finally giving him time to throw the ball with out having to run for his life.

Steve Young said about the game that perception is reality. As of now the perception about Alex Smith wavers between "bust" and "almost a bust". I don't know of anyone who is ready to anoint him the QB of our future. Alex is going to have to make dramatic improvements (a 300 yard passing game sometime soon will help) to show that he's the one.

If he doesn't even those fans who are supportive of him will be calling for him to be released, and I think by that point the coaching staff will be ready to cut him loose.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I've tried to give Smith the benefit of the doubt, esp since he got such an unfair intro to the NFL, but there are some undeniable facts that the Smith apologists refuse to acknowledge. After all these years, he still has some glaring problems that seem only minimally improved only:
He continues to stare down receivers.
He often fails to see open receivers or throws to them too late.
His accuracy is still inconsistent.
Those last 2, even when he has adequate time.
His pocket presence is lacking.
And, most importantly of all, he seems to lack that "instinct" or "it factor" that all top-tier QB's have. This alone would prevent him from getting to that elite level.
Even aside from the injuries, he's had plenty of time to work on those things that are correctable. He's a cerebral Qb whose strength is playing by the book, but not necessarily off the cuff. These next 7 games should tell us a bit more, and for his sake, I hope it's positive.

He continues to stare down receivers – this has dramatically improved. Isolated incidence rather then regular occurrence as has been the case historically.

He often fails to see open receivers or throws to them too late – this is more of a timing issue. It is not uncommon for a good QB to have timing issues. If this does not improve by the end of the season then we can say that this is a real problem.

His accuracy is still inconsistent – I am not sure just what your problem is here. This is the one area that I would say has really improved (not great yet but major improvement) He has had many throws that have been perfect. His completion percentage has greatly increased. This is the main area that I think Alex has improved.

Those last 2, even when he has adequate time – time is a luxury that our Oline has not given Alex. He has done a decent (not great) job of buying more time with his legs (something that Hill really struggled with).

His pocket presence is lacking – This is an area that I agree has been lacking. While greatly improved from a couple of years ago, he has had moments where he looks comfortable while other times he appears lost and skittish.

And, most importantly of all, he seems to lack that "instinct" or "it factor" that all top-tier QB's have – I think that this is something that I have seen a great improvement on. He is not at a Bret Farve or Peyton Manning level yet, but I have seen improvement. His teammates seem to be rallying around him and I think that he has grown up a lot. Question is has it been enough. Does he have enough leadership to put the team on his back and make great things happen? That is something that time will only tell. It is so hard to judge a QB after only a couple of starts. By the end of the season we will have a better idea of what he really has.

Even aside from the injuries, he's had plenty of time to work on those things that are correctable – I disagree here completely. If he was a true #1 pick (pro ready out of the gate) I would agree. I don’t think that he was worthy of a #1 pick and therefore is in need of time to progress. Additionally, his progression was hampered by management. That said, we can’t wait around hoping he will develop. He must produce by years end or we need to move on.

He's a cerebral Qb whose strength is playing by the book, but not necessarily off the cuff. These next 7 games should tell us a bit more, and for his sake, I hope it's positive – I agree with you here 100%. These next games will give us a better picture of what we have in Alex. I personally think it is useless to bash him and hate on him at this point. In a couple of months if he does not produce/drastically improve, then the bashing will be more justified. Right now it is all speculation based upon ones perception.

Now this is how debates should be handled. Point by point and no insults. You make good observations and we just interpret the facts differently. I'm still not convinced the new and admittedly improved Alex is improved enough, esp in the consistency arena, whether it's staring down or looking off, accurately hitting his target or timing his throws. At times, he's dead on, and others you wonder where the ball was supposed to be and if the fault was the receiver's route running. It's a teeter totter ride sometmes and I'm looking forward to the day (if it comes) when we feel we can truly count on Alex. It probably won't happen this season, but I'd like the signs to point in that direction by season's end.

Reasoned argument about Alex Smith? Banhammer!

OK I support Smith and hope he will be the long term starter. But if he struggles for the rest of the year, what are our options?

We can spend a round 1 pick, but with the current crop I suspect that we don't end up with a day 1 starter. Or even a year 1 starter.

So we need a starter for '10, and maybe '11 as well. Davis is a project who may or may not. And half of the zone want to cut Smith at the end of the year.

Or do we pick up another Dilfer in FA?

I've been a big Alex Smith supporter and I think he has had a tough time of it, but for him it's this year or bust.

And you know this how??? Maybe next year there are some key FA moves and draft picks that solidify the OLine and essentially finally giving him time to throw the ball with out having to run for his life.

Steve Young said about the game that perception is reality. As of now the perception about Alex Smith wavers between "bust" and "almost a bust". I don't know of anyone who is ready to anoint him the QB of our future. Alex is going to have to make dramatic improvements (a 300 yard passing game sometime soon will help) to show that he's the one.

If he doesn't even those fans who are supportive of him will be calling for him to be released, and I think by that point the coaching staff will be ready to cut him loose.

I don't care how many yards he passes for. If he gets us wins, he's our QB IMO. If he doesn't, he better show a ton of improvement, but wins are the most important thing. Troy Aikman never passed for more than 3400 yards in a season, never averaged more than 230 yards per game, and had a career average of under 200 yards a game. But he's a HOFer and a 6 time pro bowler because he won. Even Steve Young averages 196 yards per game for his career, of course part of that's because of the fact that he sucked his first few years in the league and he had no help on bad teams in TB.

I think if we make the playoffs than he's our QB for sure. Otherwise yeah he better throw for hella yardage, but he almost had 300 vs Tenn and we lost anyway so I don't even see how 15 yards more matters? It's just a number.
Agree...but what bothers me is Singletary's impression that our OL's playing well, especially Baas, Rachal and Snyder. I got it he's the head coach and wants to sound positive, but as a group, our OL's struggled all season. I'm hoping they offer Pashos a contract...when healthy, he's a good OT. They also need to draft at least one top OT and OG. Alex will definitely benefit from more work with the starters...all things considered, I think he's done pretty well so far.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Let's just get one thing straight. Can we stop with the, Alex hasn't played for so many years or Alex just needs time with the new weapons...

It is his 5th year.

Shaun Hill rode the bench for 5 years so should we say he needs two years as a starter to get his arm back into it? No one said that!

Alex is improving his stats, which is good but it all comes down to wins. He needs to show something NOW because his contract is not very long and our front office and coaches will need to make a decision this offseason to committ to this kid who has only one year left and hasn't shown much or to instal Nate Davis into the plans or to draft a new one.

Alex doesn't have much time so he better produce wins fast because he's playing against some crappy teams...crappy teams...remember that was the reason why Shaun Hill has a winning percentage. Well, it's Alex's turn so let us see if he can do what Hill did after 5 years of sitting. However, Alex has an advantage, he only sat out 2 years.

Brotha cool, i new ur smith hatin ass was out there. Nah, just messin wit ya brotha. I look at it like this, the main problem with our fans, is they want to include, and exclude certain details to meet their mindset. And thats all fine and good, but i do love it when those that know football, that work for the game, play the game, commentate on the game, and handle most interviews, INCLUDE all the facts that even you yourself admit too.

I mean he played after rattay, started full season, went 2-1 (now from 06-07, damn his best season, like any rookie, then started 2-1. Ok now from there injured almost 2 years.

My issue Cool is why are you still talkin bout Hill brotha. U were one of many drinkin the HIll coolaid from last season till now, and i have looked for a few HIll fans on game days like crzy, brotha Afrik, PRIMET, and a few others. And maybe not you, but they only come out, when there's a missed pass, overthrow, or etc. when it's something good, very minimal.

Even i remember when Hill was first pulled, on the real we couldnt even find you for a few days. lol.

I just say, This thread is Alex, offseason, starter. Maybe we can keep it on that subject, cuz Hill is no more:)

And the worst case is Smith comes back next year, and he and Davis battle, that is only if he struggles in the remainding games. I mean s**t dont ya'll finally wanna see continuity. Or do most of you just cant let go of your personal bias, and follow the team regardless if you like all the personnel decisions or not.

Well Smith has been struggling for the past couple games, so yea - I'd like to see the most physically gifted QB on our roster in Davis get a shot at the starting gig.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Let's just get one thing straight. Can we stop with the, Alex hasn't played for so many years or Alex just needs time with the new weapons...

It is his 5th year.

Shaun Hill rode the bench for 5 years so should we say he needs two years as a starter to get his arm back into it? No one said that!

Alex is improving his stats, which is good but it all comes down to wins. He needs to show something NOW because his contract is not very long and our front office and coaches will need to make a decision this offseason to committ to this kid who has only one year left and hasn't shown much or to instal Nate Davis into the plans or to draft a new one.

Alex doesn't have much time so he better produce wins fast because he's playing against some crappy teams...crappy teams...remember that was the reason why Shaun Hill has a winning percentage. Well, it's Alex's turn so let us see if he can do what Hill did after 5 years of sitting. However, Alex has an advantage, he only sat out 2 years.

Brotha cool, i new ur smith hatin ass was out there. Nah, just messin wit ya brotha. I look at it like this, the main problem with our fans, is they want to include, and exclude certain details to meet their mindset. And thats all fine and good, but i do love it when those that know football, that work for the game, play the game, commentate on the game, and handle most interviews, INCLUDE all the facts that even you yourself admit too.

I mean he played after rattay, started full season, went 2-1 (now from 06-07, damn his best season, like any rookie, then started 2-1. Ok now from there injured almost 2 years.

My issue Cool is why are you still talkin bout Hill brotha. U were one of many drinkin the HIll coolaid from last season till now, and i have looked for a few HIll fans on game days like crzy, brotha Afrik, PRIMET, and a few others. And maybe not you, but they only come out, when there's a missed pass, overthrow, or etc. when it's something good, very minimal.

Even i remember when Hill was first pulled, on the real we couldnt even find you for a few days. lol.

I just say, This thread is Alex, offseason, starter. Maybe we can keep it on that subject, cuz Hill is no more:)

And the worst case is Smith comes back next year, and he and Davis battle, that is only if he struggles in the remainding games. I mean s**t dont ya'll finally wanna see continuity. Or do most of you just cant let go of your personal bias, and follow the team regardless if you like all the personnel decisions or not.

Well Smith has been struggling for the past couple games, so yea - I'd like to see the most physically gifted QB on our roster in Davis get a shot at the starting gig.

Actually the team has been struggling, the offensive line is just plain bad, so the offense is not going to be good no matter who is taking the snaps.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

It is his 5th year.

Actually the team has been struggling, the offensive line is just plain bad, so the offense is not going to be good no matter who is taking the snaps.

I think most will actually agree that the offensive line play has made some strides over the past few weeks - The difference is that defenses now have some tape to study of Smith and he is suffering as a result.

Im sorry but the kid just isnt capable of operating a NFL style offense IMO and Im simply interested to see whether Davis can so we know whether or not we are going to need to grab another QB in next year's draft.
If he doesn't show improvement by the end of the season then he will never be a NFL QB IMO.
man listen , i want to see him have a great performance vs the packers that gets us to 5-5 , i dont wanna hear about no stinking off season, he is a 5 year pro now and he is healthy( yea yea , 4 different coordinators , injuries , blah ,blah) THIS IS THE BATTLE OF THE 2005 DRAFT QB i want him to show mr rogers , us niner fans , and the world that he is the better QB on Sunday and more importantly, WE GET BACK TO .500 and the playoff race!!

It is his 5th year.

I think most will actually agree that the offensive line play has made some strides over the past few weeks - The difference is that defenses now have some tape to study of Smith and he is suffering as a result.

Im sorry but the kid just isnt capable of operating a NFL style offense IMO and Im simply interested to see whether Davis can so we know whether or not we are going to need to grab another QB in next year's draft.

You need to go check out oldman9ers thread about OL blocking and QB, he breaks it down and the numbers back up that the line is indeed not playing well at all. If Smith had nothing the coaches wouldn't have him in there, and if you cannot see that the kid is not the same as before, you should pay closer attention. We aren't going to grab another QB in the draft next year, we have to fix the line first or it won't matter who is getting sacked.

It is his 5th year.

You need to go check out oldman9ers thread about OL blocking and QB, he breaks it down and the numbers back up that the line is indeed not playing well at all. If Smith had nothing the coaches wouldn't have him in there, and if you cannot see that the kid is not the same as before, you should pay closer attention. We aren't going to grab another QB in the draft next year, we have to fix the line first or it won't matter who is getting sacked.

It is not that he can not see the difference, it is that he refuses to see the difference because like many others he is blinded by his pure hatred for Smith. It really is a sad thing to see. Yea I understand that guy isn't exactly a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady but he is what 3 games back from a 2 year injury.

It is his 5th year.

We definetely need to get this o-line taken care off this offseason.
Originally posted by tohara3:

It is his 5th year.

You didn't know? The QB makes the OLine. Well that is what some people think around here.
Originally posted by tohara3:

It is his 5th year.

You didn't know? The QB makes the OLine. Well that is what some people think around here.

Tell that to GB and NE. Brett Favre leaves a team that went to the NFC Championship game and they can't even make the playoffs next year. In fact, the year after, their offensive line is now dismal.

He goes to the Jets and gets them rolling until he gets hurt. Now the Jets suck bad.

Drew Bledsoe was always one of the most sacked QBs in the league but Brady takes over and makes the team look great. Romo takes over and their OL begins to work wonders.

Confidence in the QB is HUGE when it comes to how a team plays, including the OL.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM ]
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
If Alex doesn't show huge improvement this season, he needs to be gone in the offseason. I don't care how he does it. He has to really show something and not necessarily 300 yard games that people are calling for. He need several wins. The wins are the only thing that counts. If it is a 300 yard game or huge running game or mostly some of both, only the results matter. A 500 yard passing game doesn't mean much if it ends in a loss. Hill came in and won for the most part with the same Oline and same receivers as those he followed. I think he is a good backup, but probably can't start on a regular full season basis. Smith has the same people for the most part. He was supposed to be able to make all the throws and get it down the field and get into the endzone. Isn't happening. We picked up Crabtree, a plus and lost players. It'sfootball. Hill didn't get it done this season and Alex isn't either. I want wins. Don't care who the Q.B. is if we win. Go Niners.