LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Our team speed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
This team certainly could use some more speed in the secondary (especially at S), at RB and in the return game.

I think losing Kory Sheets was a huge mistake by Scotty actually......he could be helping this team right now. They could have had him on the roster but have him deactivated until he was needed. That is what Miami is doing now and they have Brown and R Williams playing.

I have not been at all impressed with Glen Coffee, despite the struggles of the offensive line. Not fast nor particularly elusive...just not special in any way.

Agree with the Coffee assessment, though our lackluster run blocking has also made Gore look bad at times. He may be adequate as a power runner in a real power running offense. But he's a power runner that runs into his own lineman for now.
Definetely agree that strong safety needs upgraded with speed. We really need a speed guy in return game!
SLOW
Like a team of SNAILS.
I would say we are set on blend, we need to play on mix or frappe!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Speed isn't our problem. Was Jerry Rice a burner? How about John Taylor? Roger Craig? Dwight Clark?
  • bret
  • Veteran
We have speed receivers in Brandon Jones and Jason Hill, but the staff prefers blockers at receiver.

We definitely lack a speed threat at running back--not that Gore can't go the distance--but someone who can beat defenders to the edge would definitely help.

But more importantly, we lack speed in the o-line. After Staley and Heitman we are SLOW. And that's why we can't run; and that's why we can't pass block. Hasn't Scotty learned yet? Speed kills!

He seems to understand this when he's choosing in the first round: Davis, Willis, Lawson, and Staley all have great speed. But he's gotten caught up in beefy guards who can't pull and can't stop stunts and blitzes because they can't keep up.

He seems to have had the same bias about defensive backfield: Reggie Smith's rap was that he was too slow for coverage. That was also Goldson's rap; and Michael Lewis'; and even though Clements posted good 40 times, his rep was as a tough physical back, not a quick coverage back.

I hope the philosophy changes. Because I think it is a big part of what is keeping the team from getting to the next level.
Originally posted by bret:
We have speed receivers in Brandon Jones and Jason Hill, but the staff prefers blockers at receiver.

We definitely lack a speed threat at running back--not that Gore can't go the distance--but someone who can beat defenders to the edge would definitely help.

The pile of ooze in the OC chair does not help. There are no running plays except HB Dive. There are limited to no 3-sets and 4-sets of WRs
Share 49ersWebzone