LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 131 users in the forums

What do you guys think of the job Manusky has done as our defensive coordinator?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do you guys think of the job Manusky has done as our defensive coordinator?

He's had our defense playing very well against some damn good offenses in the first 8 games. Our defensive stats will improve with the weaker second half schedule.
Manusky is doing a great job. If our offensive coaches could match his game planning, preparation, and play calling duing the games, the Niners could be sitting at 7-2 or better. The Niners lost too many games they shouldn't have and the defense is not to blame.
It's interesting to look at how Billie Davis is doing in Arizona and Nolan is doing in Denver. Davis sucked here. So did Nolan. Yet, both look much better where they are now. What do they have now that they didn't have before? 2 things, imo. A competent offense and a pass rusher. That is all.

Davis in Zona has several good players on D that can rush the passer. Look at what Nolan is doing in Denver with Dr. Doom-ervil. Davis has an explosive offense with Warner and company that take the pressure off the D and look at how well McDaniels has done with the Denver offense.

Look at the Niners. Pass rusher? Nope. Smith is our best by far, but beyond him, we got nothing. Offense? Our offense is nothing short of incompetent. If this is the offense that Singletary wants, he is incompetent to choose an NFL offense. Period.

Looking at the Niners D and its DC in light of those things, I think Manusky has done a pretty good job. If we had a pass rusher--a disruptor, a backfield terror (Dockett, Wilson, Dumervil)--the D would be even better than it is now. If we had an offense a little more sophisticated than a JV Highschool team--allowing the D to play with a good lead for once--the D would be even better. He still has issues covering the TE, but overall, Manusky is pretty good.

Besides, if you're considering another DC, keep in mind how embarrassing Singletary's search for an OC was--it was a Raider-like train wreck. I don't want him looking for a DC.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fzrdave:
For what he has to work with, I think he's doing an above average job.
Personally I believe he has done a tremendous job as many have said also. If only the GM would supply him a pass rush this D would be top 5. Team's can barely run on us but the pass D has been CACA for a long time now. Í really miss this guy...

B+
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
B+

I'm with you on your grade, if he gets a pass rush flowing the B+ will turn into an A real fast
Since the DBs are carrying a pass defense on a team with a top 5 run defense...we would be scary with a pass rusher.

Honestly, it's worth the money to acquire one if at all possible.
  • B650
  • Veteran
He's good, but we need to stop trying to give games away in the 4th quarter. What's the point of playing amazing defense the entire game, only to go to a prevent on the final drive and let the opposing team march down the field on us?

Our whole mentality has to change. On offense, we have to go for the kill instead of being satisfied with a 2-point lead. On defense, we still have to be aggressive, even if we have a lead and it's the final drive. If we keep playing the way we played against Chicago, we'll end up 6-10. Blame it on the coaches.
I think Greg Manusky has done an outstanding job. Especially when you consider the lack of help the defense has received from the offense. (the 3 and outs, penalties, turnovers...) I'm most impressed by how our DBs have performed! Guys such as Shawntae Spencer, Dashon Goldson, and Tarell Brown have done very well.

Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Personally I believe he has done a tremendous job as many have said also. If only the GM would supply him a pass rush this D would be top 5. Team's can barely run on us but the pass D has been CACA for a long time now. Í really miss this guy...

Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by fzrdave:
For what he has to work with, I think he's doing an above average job.

I think that is a fair assessment.

At times, this D looked unstoppable but at other times, it looked lost and confused - that cannot all be pinned on coaching but some game to game consistency would be nice...Indy to Tennessee comes to mind.

Agree. Hope he is around for a few more years.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What can he do? Our offense sucks. The game is on him in every time.

That is because that is how Singletary wants it
Manusky has done such a good job that he will be lost as a hc within the next 2 seasons. i would be surprised in fact if he wasn't given a job this year.
the one thing i don't like is the prevent (us from winning) D that we play at the end of games when we have the lead. it burned us vs Min (that favre throw really hurt us) and gave us a scare last Thursday.
I have to agree that he has done an above average job considering the talent he has a nd the lack of any consistent pass rush. I don't see him getting a head coaching job somewhere else until we are a top 5 defense. IMHO
Share 49ersWebzone