LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

QB Talk, updated...article; Hill/Smith Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Make of it what you will from MattM. And by the way, for all stat lovers, it speaks for itself i say. Smith aint doin all that bad as most want him to be and i hope it puts an end to all that Nate Davis mess. At least until the end of the season.

Who will be the 49ers' starting quarterback in 2010?

Of course, that's impossible to answer with seven games remaining in the season, but the quarterback on the roster who has the best chance of being the team's "quarterback of the future" is the man who is also the 49ers' quarterback of the present.

Alex Smith will get the chance to prove, once and for all, he is the answer. He has made good strides in some areas in his three starts. He was a 54.4-percent passer entering this season. In his 14 quarters of play, Smith has completed 64.8 percent of his attempts.

He has been better than Shaun Hill in three important areas, including completion percentage (Hill completed 56.1 percent). Smith has also averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt, compared to Hill's 6.1 yards. And Smith has been sacked once every 12.2 attempts, while Hill was sacked once every 8.6 attempts.
Where Hill was better than Smith is in the turnover department. Hill threw two picks in 155 attempts, while Smith has tossed six interceptions in 122 throws. But the 49ers justify that disparity - in most circumstances - as plays that were, uh out of his hands.

It is clear in speaking with 49ers sources that Hill does not figure into the team's plan as a starter again. The organization likes him as a backup, but not as a starter.

As for Nate Davis, the No. 3, he is nowhere near ready to enter a regular-season game. The club knows nothing more about him now than it did at the end of training camp because he simply does not get any practice time. The 49ers spend their practice time during the season preparing for the upcoming opponent. The starter gets all the first-team reps, while the backup remains sharp mostly with reps for the scout team. I've seen Davis play far more snaps as a scout-team defensive back than I've seen him line up behind center since the regular season started. He is a project who needs a lot of work during a full offseason to see if he can function in something more than an abridged version of the offense.
Who cares , Alex is the QB of this team .

You know i made this thread so people would say Hill is over. and Davis WILL NOT PLAY for the rest of the season. Alex is the QB of this team for the Rest of the year. But u know what, in another thread, i'd be damned if people still talkin bout bringin in Hill, and puttin Davis in. So it honestly aint gonna matter what the hell we say. Have an opinion about the situation you feel me, but stop bringin in other players if they dont factor into this season. But we cant even do that.
Originally posted by eastie:
My reasoning for including this is to close 3 doors;

1. Forget about HIll, he WILL only be the backup, and starter never again, so we shouldnt even be worried bout Him anymore.

2. Smith will finish the rest of the season out. Like Matt M said, and I agree, I dont like any of the QB's next year to come to San Fran. IMO, we'd finally have the same quarter back and OC for more than a year. Wow, will it finally happen?

3. Exclude Davis at all this season. Lets stop putting up threads about Davis comin in, him doing this, what about that. Leave Davis right where the hell he is and let him actually be trained the right way. I say he doesnt even see the field as a backup until next year.

All in all, it should be easier now, To just focus on the remaining games left. Stop all the hate, Accept s**t the way it is for the season, and if you are a true 9er fan, not just a smith, or hill, or gore, or vd fan. Then for the rest of the year we should be supporting EVERY player on the team. Because like Sing said, in his eyes, which are the only ones that matter now, he puts the best players on the field. And i think we are moving in the right direction.

This!

Ditto.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by eastie:
My reasoning for including this is to close 3 doors;

1. Forget about HIll, he WILL only be the backup, and starter never again, so we shouldnt even be worried bout Him anymore.

2. Smith will finish the rest of the season out. Like Matt M said, and I agree, I dont like any of the QB's next year to come to San Fran. IMO, we'd finally have the same quarter back and OC for more than a year. Wow, will it finally happen?

3. Exclude Davis at all this season. Lets stop putting up threads about Davis comin in, him doing this, what about that. Leave Davis right where the hell he is and let him actually be trained the right way. I say he doesnt even see the field as a backup until next year.

All in all, it should be easier now, To just focus on the remaining games left. Stop all the hate, Accept s**t the way it is for the season, and if you are a true 9er fan, not just a smith, or hill, or gore, or vd fan. Then for the rest of the year we should be supporting EVERY player on the team. Because like Sing said, in his eyes, which are the only ones that matter now, he puts the best players on the field. And i think we are moving in the right direction.

This!

Ditto.

Agreed, except I think that if Smith plays incredibly bad to where we know without a shadow of a doubt he won't be part of our future, we should play Davis the final 2 weeks of the season to see how he looks in real action.

I don't envision this happening though, so I think Smith will be our starter for the remainder of the season.
[ Edited by B650 on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM ]
voices of reason are few and quiet in stature. lets see how long it lasts.......
Share 49ersWebzone