LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Receivers catching hard thrown balls vs Bad passes by the QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Alex Smith doesnt have an arm like Brett Favre's, so Im not buying this "he throws too hard for the receivers to catch" excuse.

I think the difference is that Manning completes most of his passes, so when one of his receivers makes an incredible highlight reel type catch, it just stands out. Im sure for every miracle catch Wayne makes during a game, he drops or misplays another 2 or 3. It's just not noticed because Peyton does such a good job of getting the ball to his receivers.

On the other hand, most of Alex's plays are either miscues or 3 yard outs that go for no Yacs. So when he darts one past 15 yards, and his receivers cant make that miracle catch between 3 defenders, it just makes Niner fans look for reasons to blame the receiver. Truth be told, the ball should have never been thrown there in the first place OR Smith should not have stared his receiver down while the defenders closed in on the WR.

That's a bulls**t argument. We don't throw the ball enough per game to allow our receivers to drop passes. Your saying that Alex, who's at 65% completion percentage for the year, doesn't complete enough of his passes per game so his receivers don't expect hard passes? Uh? Or are you saying that we don't pass enough deep as a team, so when we do the defense has 3 guys on any of our WR's? WTF are you even talking about?

There's no one on the team that would catch this pass (probably no one who could pass it either). Don't tell me Crabtree can, dude missed the entire training camp and that is probably why he drops easy slant routes for first downs. You think the receivers should have excuses from fans when you give none to Alex? ... Sure dude, you believe that.

I called it. Nobody on our team would catch that. And + 1 to your post as well.
It seems like when one of these situations occur in games, we always blame our Quarterback (usually Alex Smith), saying that he threw a horrible pass, no accuracy, etc.

In this Patriots v. Colts game, I seen Reggie Wayne make a ridiculous grab, and Garcon make another. Our receivers seem to drop these type of plays, even tip them up for interceptions (ie the Titans game). IMO you always blame the receivers when this s**t happens because if the ball is catchable, they gotta make a play for it or make sure it falls. A lot of people here seem to blame the QB, but the QB's job is to get the ball to their receivers, not to throw a perfect pass every god damn time.

also did u see the time they were getting easily 3+ seconds in the pocket compared to our s**tty o line
Well you know what i got a good one then. And no excuses for s**t.

Gage, a rookie receiver for Indy, yesterday. Had a pass thrown to him deep, almost just like the one smith threw to Crabtree that was picked off.

And just like the smith play, the long ball was underthrown by Manning himself.

However, the end result had me laughing my ass off. Now on that play, the ball was underthrown, but surprisingly, the WR jumped higher than the defender, and being that he had to almost reach over, and in front of the CB, it was pass interference. Aint that some s**t. And no int, in which the defender definitely could have picked it off if the WR slipped, and not jumped. And even the announcers said that it was an interference call because the WR went up in the air. So then that had me thinking bout our pass, and had he not slipped, just like yesterdays underthrow, it may have resulted in a Pass interference or at least just an incomplete pass.

So like i say every week, im watchin tons of unnamed and rookie recievers, dive, one handed catches, qb's darting the ball between 2 and 3 defenders, and the WR making sure there wasnt an interception by the way they catch or either deflect the opposing back from catching the INT. It's like some of us expect our WR's to just stay in one place and magically the ball is thrown perfectly into their hands. Without jumping, diving, or even moving huh.

If tons of WR's can make their QB look good, by catching bad balls that if i remember Jerry Rice once said about a WR's ideals, and the main thing he said is, if the ball comes in an area, where regardless of what moves you have to make in order for the ball to be caught, then it should be), then why cant our WR's.

You wanna see what a receiver should look like then watch, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Johnson, and a few others. Let me know if they miss tons of underthrown, overthrown, or behind passes. s**t i dont even remember the last time either of these men were covered by at least 2 defense members in the secondary, and they still make plays. Even Johnson between 3 defenders, and then scored a TD.

Some of us say Hillexcuses, alexcuses, well how about we stop with the WRexcuses.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Both QBs & WRs need to work on their timing & then.....it will be beautiful....
  • dj43
Alex Smith doesnt have an arm like Brett Favre's, so Im not buying this "he throws too hard for the receivers to catch" excuse.

I think the difference is that Manning completes most of his passes, so when one of his receivers makes an incredible highlight reel type catch, it just stands out. Im sure for every miracle catch Wayne makes during a game, he drops or misplays another 2 or 3. It's just not noticed because Peyton does such a good job of getting the ball to his receivers.

On the other hand, most of Alex's plays are either miscues or 3 yard outs that go for no Yacs. So when he darts one past 15 yards, and his receivers cant make that miracle catch between 3 defenders, it just makes Niner fans look for reasons to blame the receiver. Truth be told, the ball should have never been thrown there in the first place OR Smith should not have stared his receiver down while the defenders closed in on the WR.
Did you see the NE/Indy game last night? Manning had some terrible throws. At one point, he threw three in a row that made Shaun Hill's arm look good.
When i played Ball the coaches always preached that if you touch it you should catch it. they didnt want us putting up half ass attempts at catching a pass. They would rather have us let the ball go by then to tip it up for grabs.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Our WR's tip the ball up into the air so it can be intercepted.

and let me guess, that's Coach Sing, Coach Raye, and the Yorks' fault, with a little bit of McCloughan thrown in for good measure...

You are a good guesser!
I'm just pointing out that the niners Wr's aren't gonna be making catches that Wayne is b/c they aren't that good. I'm not blaming anybody for anything
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I'll say it again.

Garçon also dropped two balls in this game.

Yeah.

The difference is, their receivers get 7 looks per game, with our offensive game-plan ours are lucky to get 3 max a night. We need to make every catch we can or else Bill Cosby goes back into Jello commercial mode. lol

They saw Cutler was sucking. They called off the dogs. It worked.

he still threw for over 300 yards. The team got very lucky.

That's a bulls**t argument. We don't throw the ball enough per game to allow our receivers to drop passes. Your saying that Alex, who's at 65% completion percentage for the year, doesn't complete enough of his passes per game so his receivers don't expect hard passes? Uh? Or are you saying that we don't pass enough deep as a team, so when we do the defense has 3 guys on any of our WR's? WTF are you even talking about?

There's no one on the team that would catch this pass (probably no one who could pass it either). Don't tell me Crabtree can, dude missed the entire training camp and that is probably why he drops easy slant routes for first downs. You think the receivers should have excuses from fans when you give none to Alex? ... Sure dude, you believe that.

Damn, I wish our WRs could do that.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

They can. The problem is our QB can't get them the ball, for a variety of reasons.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

And people called me crazy by saying that the WR's were at fault for the 4 out of the 5 INT's that Smith has thrown. And that is just it, the WR's are not attacking the football in the air. They are just waiting for it to get to them so they can play volleyball with it.
Share 49ersWebzone