There are 241 users in the forums

Receivers catching hard thrown balls vs Bad passes by the QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought everything was Bush's fault. Oh wait, that's Obama's mantra.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Alex Smith doesnt have an arm like Brett Favre's, so Im not buying this "he throws too hard for the receivers to catch" excuse.

I think the difference is that Manning completes most of his passes, so when one of his receivers makes an incredible highlight reel type catch, it just stands out. Im sure for every miracle catch Wayne makes during a game, he drops or misplays another 2 or 3. It's just not noticed because Peyton does such a good job of getting the ball to his receivers.

On the other hand, most of Alex's plays are either miscues or 3 yard outs that go for no Yacs. So when he darts one past 15 yards, and his receivers cant make that miracle catch between 3 defenders, it just makes Niner fans look for reasons to blame the receiver. Truth be told, the ball should have never been thrown there in the first place OR Smith should not have stared his receiver down while the defenders closed in on the WR.

That's a bulls**t argument. We don't throw the ball enough per game to allow our receivers to drop passes. Your saying that Alex, who's at 65% completion percentage for the year, doesn't complete enough of his passes per game so his receivers don't expect hard passes? Uh? Or are you saying that we don't pass enough deep as a team, so when we do the defense has 3 guys on any of our WR's? WTF are you even talking about?

There's no one on the team that would catch this pass (probably no one who could pass it either). Don't tell me Crabtree can, dude missed the entire training camp and that is probably why he drops easy slant routes for first downs. You think the receivers should have excuses from fans when you give none to Alex? ... Sure dude, you believe that.

Alex Smith doesnt have an arm like Brett Favre's, so Im not buying this "he throws too hard for the receivers to catch" excuse.

I think the difference is that Manning completes most of his passes, so when one of his receivers makes an incredible highlight reel type catch, it just stands out. Im sure for every miracle catch Wayne makes during a game, he drops or misplays another 2 or 3. It's just not noticed because Peyton does such a good job of getting the ball to his receivers.

On the other hand, most of Alex's plays are either miscues or 3 yard outs that go for no Yacs. So when he darts one past 15 yards, and his receivers cant make that miracle catch between 3 defenders, it just makes Niner fans look for reasons to blame the receiver. Truth be told, the ball should have never been thrown there in the first place OR Smith should not have stared his receiver down while the defenders closed in on the WR.

Excuse me? Alex completed 70% of his passes this week. I think that counts as "most." -- If you try to say, "Oh whatever, it was dink and dunk" to try and take the focus of the falsity you just stated, it wouldn't change the fact that he completed his passes and virtually every one of them was right on the money on Thursday.

Short passes are often the only thing our line provides time to complete. In addition, when the big plays aren't there, Smith has been taking what the defense has been giving. That's efficient QBing, and what I'd want him to do.

Method isn't saying "never blame Alex for an interception" -- He's saying, "Other players are making plays on balls that our guys never seem to make, and could be helping to avoid interceptions."

It's that simple.

I sure hope if Alex puts together some fine performances for the rest of the season, you'd discontinue the nitpicking over anything less than a flawless performance from the guy. I mean geeze, there was virtually nothing other than the deep shot to talk down on the guy for. You saw Manning throw two deep balls that didn't work out tonight because they weren't on the money. Those INT's happen. Let that go, at the very least.
Originally posted by Method:
It seems like when one of these situations occur in games, we always blame our Quarterback (usually Alex Smith), saying that he threw a horrible pass, no accuracy, etc.

In this Patriots v. Colts game, I seen Reggie Wayne make a ridiculous grab, and Garcon make another. Our receivers seem to drop these type of plays, even tip them up for interceptions (ie the Titans game). IMO you always blame the receivers when this s**t happens because if the ball is catchable, they gotta make a play for it or make sure it falls. A lot of people here seem to blame the QB, but the QB's job is to get the ball to their receivers, not to throw a perfect pass every god damn time.

That's funny. Garçon also dropped two balls in this game.

That's a bulls**t argument. We don't throw the ball enough per game to allow our receivers to drop passes. Your saying that Alex, who's at 65% completion percentage for the year, doesn't complete enough of his passes per game so his receivers don't expect hard passes? Uh? Or are you saying that we don't pass enough deep as a team, so when we do the defense has 3 guys on any of our WR's? WTF are you even talking about?

There's no one on the team that would catch this pass (probably no one who could pass it either). Don't tell me Crabtree can, dude missed the entire training camp and that is probably why he drops easy slant routes for first downs. You think the receivers should have excuses from fans when you give none to Alex? ... Sure dude, you believe that.

I'll say it again.

Garçon also dropped two balls in this game.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I'll say it again.

Yeah.

The difference is, their receivers get 7 looks per game, with our offensive game-plan ours are lucky to get 3 max a night. We need to make every catch we can or else Bill Cosby goes back into Jello commercial mode. lol
i like this post!!

im a QB, and I think Alex is doing a pretty good job, and I see the reason for the INTs. I posted this in another thread, but we ALL know by now that you can say maybe 2-3 of the INTs were NOT completely on the QB. you take 3 away and in 14qts Alex has 6tds and 3ints, not bad.

Heres the thing, when the ball touches your hand you HAVE to catch the ball, NO blaming the QB. EVEN if its a tough grab, you expect your WR to make play, its not ALWAYS gonna be on the money. Alex is doing alot better this season, but still shows inconsitency. But for the most part, hes completeing 64% of his passes, and his guys are dropping or we're missing on 3-4 more a game..

Bottom line is Alex is trusting his WRs, so when he sees Crabs on an island with a DB, hes gonna throw it there. We all want to see the ball on time and on the money, but the WR still is expected to make a play on the ball.. Timing will come, we are still learning and adjusting the game plan week by week
no excuses for drop balls....thats what u r paid to do...to catch the ball!

I'll say it again.

Yeah.

The difference is, their receivers get 7 looks per game, with our offensive game-plan ours are lucky to get 3 max a night. We need to make every catch we can or else Bill Cosby goes back into Jello commercial mode. lol

They saw Cutler was sucking. They called off the dogs. It worked.

I'll say it again.

Yeah.

They saw Cutler was sucking. They called off the dogs. It worked.

This post is about WR's and QB's not about our OC or gameplan, I shouldn't have said that.

What I meant to say was that since we don't pass so often every game, the drops account for much more, same with the interceptions.

[ Edited by Method on Nov 15, 2009 at 23:34:28 ]

Our WRs aren't dropping passes. The balls that have been picked off are balls that NO WR in the NFL is going to catch. Not even Randy Moss. How in the hell can someone tell me that the first 2 picks in the Tenn game would have been caught by players on any team? What about the pick at Indy? That ball was so far in front of Crabs that there's no way in hell you could have expected him to do any different. The INT in the Chicago game was an under thrown ball. You're asking Crabtree to make a ridiculous play by stopping, coming back to the ball and knocking it away. Sure it's been done...but does that mean it's probably going to happen? No.

Why doesn't anyone talk about the INT that got called back b/c of some random defensive penalty? How about the pass that dropped out of the d-linemen's hands? (Both of these from the Chicago game)

I don't think people realize this simple point...THAT'S HOW INTERCEPTIONS HAPPEN! There's no magic to it. Somehow balls get picked off right? This is how. When the QB is late or inaccurate, deflections will happen. The only INT that is even somewhat reasonable to question is the 3rd one against the Titans (and of course the Texans one). Even then, the ball was late and the DB smashed the WR when the ball arrived. It's a 50/50 player and it didn't go our way. Who's fault is it? The QBs for being late with the ball.

Isn't it funny how whenever Alex becomes the QB, our WRs suddenly start dropping passes? LOL. This has happened so often. Remember against the Raiders in the preseason everyone was mad at Morgan on that super high pass that got picked off? SAME s**t! If you aren't accurate, deflections are going to happen.

Now with all this being said, I'm still behind Alex and think he's going to get better. Just keep the offense open and his timing will improve as the season progresses. We'll see less and less of these throws.
^^The bold and this...

rythym, chemistry, and confidence.
THe Reggie Wayne game winning TD catch wasn't that badly thrown. It wasn't a bad throw at all, Peyton put it there for his receiver to go get it. The balls Alex throws are different though. He usually throws them too high when the receivers are running full stride.

It's bad enough trying to catch an overthrown ball. Trying to jump and catch while in the middle of your stride is ridiculous.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Last time I checked none of the Niners Wr's are no where close to being on Reggie Wayne's level. And yhis season. Garcon has out performed niners entire WR corp. It's a talent issue.

I disagree. I don't think its a talent issue. The niners receivers have enough talent but I think its a chemistry issue. How many times has MAnning throw that type of ball to Wayne and his recivers in practice. Alex had limited snaps all year and Crabtree came in late. there is no way they put in enough work together to know what the other is going to do by any means. Morgan has been disappointing all year and J. Hill has been out of the lineup until recently. With offense Chemistry is everything. A good defense can gel pretty quickly but an offense needs a couple of years of continuity together.

it is not Alex's fault we just benched a future HOFer. Our WRs are not stepping up

Can we please fire Sullivan now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
THe Reggie Wayne game winning TD catch wasn't that badly thrown. It wasn't a bad throw at all, Peyton put it there for his receiver to go get it. The balls Alex throws are different though. He usually throws them too high when the receivers are running full stride.

It's bad enough trying to catch an overthrown ball. Trying to jump and catch while in the middle of your stride is ridiculous.

I would think after being together for as long as Manning and Wayne have they've developed some chemistry? Alex hasn't had that luxury. Peyton knows what he is going to do and Wayne knows what Manning is thinking.

Crabtree and Alex can have this if the 49ers don't do something stupid like yank him or draft a QB. We have all the tools now they only need to be sharpened.
Share 49ersWebzone