LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

Receivers catching hard thrown balls vs Bad passes by the QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It seems like when one of these situations occur in games, we always blame our Quarterback (usually Alex Smith), saying that he threw a horrible pass, no accuracy, etc.

In this Patriots v. Colts game, I seen Reggie Wayne make a ridiculous grab, and Garcon make another. Our receivers seem to drop these type of plays, even tip them up for interceptions (ie the Titans game). IMO you always blame the receivers when this s**t happens because if the ball is catchable, they gotta make a play for it or make sure it falls. A lot of people here seem to blame the QB, but the QB's job is to get the ball to their receivers, not to throw a perfect pass every god damn time.

[ Edited by Method on Nov 15, 2009 at 18:00:27 ]
Originally posted by Method:
It seems like when one of these situations occur in games, we always blame our Quarterback (usually Alex Smith), saying that he threw a horrible pass, no accuracy, etc.

In this Patriots v. Colts game, I seen Reggie Wayne make a ridiculous grab, and Garcon make another. Our receivers seem to drop these type of plays, even tip them up for interceptions (ie the Titans game). IMO you always blame the receivers when this s**t happens because if the ball is catchable, they gotta make a play for it or make sure it falls. A lot of people here seem to blame the QB, but the QB's job is to get the ball to their receivers, not to throw a perfect pass every god damn time.

Bruce Lee, never carried a gun
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Bruce Lee, never carried a gun

Before you report me to Kolohoe, or the other Omnipotent, Omniscent Moderators, my point with that reply is simply this:

Simplicity trumps all

Receivers should catch balls that receivers should catch

[ Edited by wysiwyg on Nov 15, 2009 at 18:10:11 ]
Last time I checked none of the Niners Wr's are no where close to being on Reggie Wayne's level. And yhis season. Garcon has out performed niners entire WR corp. It's a talent issue.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Last time I checked none of the Niners Wr's are no where close to being on Reggie Wayne's level. And yhis season. Garcon has out performed niners entire WR corp. It's a talent issue.

The players Alex is throwing to aren't as good as the ones Peyton and Tom are, so Alex should get blamed for bad passes while the other two are praised when their receivers catch the hard ones?

Uh...

I disagree. I don't think its a talent issue. The niners receivers have enough talent but I think its a chemistry issue. How many times has MAnning throw that type of ball to Wayne and his recivers in practice. Alex had limited snaps all year and Crabtree came in late. there is no way they put in enough work together to know what the other is going to do by any means. Morgan has been disappointing all year and J. Hill has been out of the lineup until recently. With offense Chemistry is everything. A good defense can gel pretty quickly but an offense needs a couple of years of continuity together.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran

Josh Morgan last year would go up and attack the ball, it was the first time in about five years that we had seen a receiver do that....
Everyone on our team just needs to make a big play when they have the chance.
Our WR's tip the ball up into the air so it can be intercepted.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

and let me guess, that's Coach Sing, Coach Raye, and the Yorks' fault, with a little bit of McCloughan thrown in for good measure...

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

and let me guess, that's Coach Sing, Coach Raye, and the Yorks' fault, with a little bit of McCloughan thrown in for good measure...

All of those are at fault plus the WR's themselves.
Maybe after catching the soft and cuddly passes from Hill. Smith's passes seems like it came from Dan Marino. Our WRs just need time to adjust.

OK, enough Hill bashing. I think it's just a timing issue. Our receivers need to look early for the ball after the break. Don't expect a perfect pass every time. With this O-line they are lucky to get a ball thrown their way from Smith.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Maybe after catching the soft and cuddly passes from Hill. Smith's passes seems like it came from Dan Marino. Our WRs just need time to adjust.

OK, enough Hill bashing. I think it's just a timing issue. Our receivers need to look early for the ball after the break. Don't expect a perfect pass every time. With this O-line they are lucky to get a ball thrown their way from Smith.

This.
Originally posted by E-49er:

I disagree. I don't think its a talent issue. The niners receivers have enough talent but I think its a chemistry issue. How many times has MAnning throw that type of ball to Wayne and his recivers in practice. Alex had limited snaps all year and Crabtree came in late. there is no way they put in enough work together to know what the other is going to do by any means. Morgan has been disappointing all year and J. Hill has been out of the lineup until recently. With offense Chemistry is everything. A good defense can gel pretty quickly but an offense needs a couple of years of continuity together.

the sad thing is our offense never gets to build chemistry because we always ship our QB off if they dont perform. it is going to take time for alex to build chemistry and get confident with his recievers the problem is he probably doesnt have that much time to get this offense clicking. its a shame really because i think the kid has talent were just not going to see it as a 49er
  • ZRF80
Alex Smith doesnt have an arm like Brett Favre's, so Im not buying this "he throws too hard for the receivers to catch" excuse.

I think the difference is that Manning completes most of his passes, so when one of his receivers makes an incredible highlight reel type catch, it just stands out. Im sure for every miracle catch Wayne makes during a game, he drops or misplays another 2 or 3. It's just not noticed because Peyton does such a good job of getting the ball to his receivers.

On the other hand, most of Alex's plays are either miscues or 3 yard outs that go for no Yacs. So when he darts one past 15 yards, and his receivers cant make that miracle catch between 3 defenders, it just makes Niner fans look for reasons to blame the receiver. Truth be told, the ball should have never been thrown there in the first place OR Smith should not have stared his receiver down while the defenders closed in on the WR.
Share 49ersWebzone