There are 248 users in the forums

Have Alex call his own plays? Why not?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The guy hasn't played the last two years. He lost his starting position to not very good quarterbacks, so it is very questionable on whether he can be a winning NFL quarterback. He got back in the lineup this year because the previous starter was not getting it done, so he was next in line.

So now all of a sudden he is Peyton Manning, and should run the offense? LOL, that is not reality, and it aint gonna happen.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
The guy hasn't played the last two years. He lost his starting position to not very good quarterbacks, so it is very questionable on whether he can be a winning NFL quarterback. He got back in the lineup this year because the previous starter was not getting it done, so he was next in line.

So now all of a sudden he is Peyton Manning, and should run the offense? LOL, that is not reality, and it aint gonna happen.

Two years? He had 193 attempts in 2007, albeit his arm felt like it was falling off for 110 of those.

Also, he never lost his job as Starting Quarterback. He was injured for most of 2007 and all of 2008.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Two years? He had 193 attempts in 2007, albeit his arm felt like it was falling off for 110 of those.

Also, he never lost his job as Starting Quarterback. He was injured for most of 2007 and all of 2008.

OK, on that note, I fully expect Singletary & Raye to fully trust him to call the plays starting next week. Yeah, I am sure they started talking about that right after the last press conference after the Bears game when they scored ten points, and the coach said "I think Alex managed the game".

I can easily see how one could assume that really meant, "We think Alex is so good now, that we are just going to let him call the plays".

And be serious. He lost his starting job twice...to JTO & Shaun Hill. Reality. It really did happen. They said there would be competition, because he was not good enough to be a clear choice for starter.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, Ceadder, i would hope that alex had some input, which brings up an interesting question. Does anyone really know for sure that our qBs have ANY input during the week? If so, it must be dang little, because the run,run,pass,punt has sure been used to the utmost. YOu know, jimmyrae actually started last game with pass, pass, run and it went well. Then after using it once he went back to his RRPP, and never used that successful series again...or if he did, it wasn't used much. What happened? Was that one time Pass/ pass /run--- first down/, put in to keep the fans happy? Because after that i don't recall seeing it again. Anyway, anyone know for sure about QB input into weekly game plan?

Your guess is as good as mine PDoc. I was ecstatic when the very FIRST play from scrimmage was a Pass down the siedlines to Crabtree. Hell I'm pretty sure we got jobbed on the call, but it was a Win and I won't care about bad calls on a Win.

Now imho, I think the reason that we went away from that was because the next series the Bull Fighters started on the Line. And rather than getting Alex killed and in effect our season, they chose to be more conservative instead of using some well timed screens and delays to keep them honest. Which again is my opinion, but that LONE delay had em on their heels and then we never went back to it. Not even a FAKE delay to the Option.

Right now though the problem is the Line and Raye not being comfortable with the personnel on the field. I hope that we continue to see improvement going into next season or it could be the longest two years ever. Rip Van Winkle would think 20 was a catnap compared to these 2.

~Ceadder

OK, on that note, I fully expect Singletary & Raye to fully trust him to call the plays starting next week. Yeah, I am sure they started talking about that right after the last press conference after the Bears game when they scored ten points, and the coach said "I think Alex managed the game".

I can easily see how one could assume that really meant, "We think Alex is so good now, that we are just going to let him call the plays".

And be serious. He lost his starting job twice...to JTO & Shaun Hill. Reality. It really did happen. They said there would be competition, because he was not good enough to be a clear choice for starter.

We could have had Joe Montana and dumb ass Martz would have still started JTO. Singletary went with Hill over Smith because he said he knew what he had in Hill and Smith was more of a mystery. Hill was the safer bet, so again no Smith didn't lose the starting job.
Originally posted by backontop:

We could have had Joe Montana and dumb ass Martz would have still started JTO. Singletary went with Hill over Smith because he said he knew what he had in Hill and Smith was more of a mystery. Hill was the safer bet, so again no Smith didn't lose the starting job.

This sure sounds like a lot of spin doctoring. I get it now. You are a fan of the player.

No, I'm afraid JTO would be riding the bench if the 49ers already had an established good starting QB, who was healthy when Martz came here.

And I guess being a fan of the player, you don't like the harsh phrase of "losing his starting job". OK, if it makes you feel better, I will also pretend Alex was still the starter when the "safer bet" was out there playing in those games.

This is good enetertainment, so keep it coming. You all should know enough about the 49ers that even if Mr. Joe Montana himself was still playing here still, even he would not be calling the plays.
Originally posted by backontop:

This sure sounds like a lot of spin doctoring. I get it now. You are a fan of the player.

No, I'm afraid JTO would be riding the bench if the 49ers already had an established good starting QB, who was healthy when Martz came here.

And I guess being a fan of the player, you don't like the harsh phrase of "losing his starting job". OK, if it makes you feel better, I will also pretend Alex was still the starter when the "safer bet" was out there playing in those games.

This is good enetertainment, so keep it coming. You all should know enough about the 49ers that even if Mr. Joe Montana himself was still playing here still, even he would not be calling the plays.

Smith wasn't healthy when Martz was here. Sorry I am a fan of the team not players. If Montana himself were here I bet he would show enough to the coaches to prove that he could indeed call the plays. A pop warner coach can call better plays than Raye. But like you said I am just a fan of the player I think the more clear response from you should have been "I am one of the Smith haters and even if he won the super bowl he would still be a bust"
Shout out to all the Smith fans! Embarrassing!

It's a QB's world in today's NFL

He's lower than Russell!!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Shout out to all the Smith fans! Embarrassing!

It's a QB's world in today's NFL

He's lower than Russell!!

I just saw this post in another thread.....Wierd!!!

he called his plays for a whole drive and that drive was a TD so so far hes 1/1

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

he called his plays for a whole drive and that drive was a TD so so far hes 1/1

I don't buy that. It may have been half the drive because I saw Alex looking to the sidelines and act as if he was listening in his helmet for the first part.
Share 49ersWebzone