There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Have Alex call his own plays? Why not?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Alright, how many of you think jimmy rae has done a fabulous job? How about bigMIkes game plan of "run the ball first"? Has jimmy rae called the kind of games you think we should have played. Has bigmike? Has the GM stepped in and said," hey guys, our O stinks. Our OL is crappy.?" Nah. Could alex call a game worse than jimmy rae(JR)? Anybody think he could call a game worse? Man i don't. So what in the heck is there to lose with alex calling his own plays?

History: recent helmet failures caused alex to have to call his own plays, and it was a 2 min drill besides. How'd it go? It went well, as long as alex was making the calls.
More History: It took alex half the time to finish college that it took me. He actually finished in 2 yrs (economics i think), and stayed a third yr to play, basically. So the kid is smart. Is he smarter about the O than bigmike or JR? I don't know, but right now, i would sure like to find out. Our O is bad, but our playcalling is worse. Last game we start off setting up the run with passes. Works great , then JR doesn't do it again for most of rest of game, and that sucks...it's stupid too.

So let JR, bigmike , hell, scot if he wants, do the game plan during the week, but include alex, get his input, so everybody knows what the plan is for the weekend. But come gametime, let alex call his plays. If HC wants first 15-25 plays scripted, that's fine, but alex should know them in advance, which means they get in on time, and if the D set is wrong, allow him to check off.

Here's several things that WOULDN'T happen if alex calls his own plays:
1) no more delay of game penalties, because plays didn't get in on time. This would save us 2-3 penalties/game.
2) No more 2 timeouts/ game, sometimes per half, waiting for the plays to get called in. Let's face it. JR may not call a good game, but by gum he sure is slow about it.
3) By not having to wait for plays, (which gives the OL no confidence in what is going to happen) if alex steps up to the line, he can check down. What's even better, he can do so because he has time, in that the OL was setup 10 with 10 seconds to go on the 24 sec clock. JUst use Peyton as an example.
4)Run, run, 3rd and long, pass, incomplete, punt.

Alex is smart enough, like every other player on the team to know that frank is our meat and gravy. But he can't run when the HC says we are gonna run and run.. and then run somemore. Frank averages about 2.1 yds in those conditions. But if alex passes, passes, then he can pass or run on third if we don't have a 1st down already. But this incredibly lame idea of bigmikes and JRs of run, run , pass, punt...how could alex POSSIBLY call a worse game than that ? Well, he couldn't.

i say, let the kid call his own game, and give him a voice during the game planning during the week. Have we tried it yet? Heck no. Well, no time like the present.

Oh, you don't like that? Well, heck, let's just stick with bigmike and JR, since they have the O working so well...at what, 30th or 31st in the league?

Big mike isn't fearful of change. Here's his chance to really improve an otherwise horrible O. Does he have the cojones to do it?

Alex call his own plays? hmm!! very good ur idea! i said sure! I think, Steve Young was call his own plays right?! i think that! then Alex can do it his own call plays! let's go alex mofo!
One last time: could alex really call a worse game than jimmyrae? i don't know, but i don't think so. What is the harm in trying? It cannot get worse.
Calling plays, and making them, are two different things.

He is now 1-7, and that win was a 119yrd performance with NO TDs.
Smith aint nothing till he wins 3, maybe 4 in a row and looks good doing it, and most importantly; does not throw an INT late in the 4th or lose the game as he has done with a game killing INT with nearly no time to go..

I just don't get nut huggin going on for Smith, he hasn't proved anything except he is slightly better than before the injury and 1.5 years of not playing..

I don't get it.

Can't we just wait and see before we deliver him from his sins of playing suckas* for years??

I'm all for him doing what it takes to really be considered topflight, but he has let the team down too many times to call him "cured" after miserable outings, except of course for "THE 2nd HALF" game. Even then, he lost the game on the INT with a minute to go at the 38. No one seems to want to bring that up, people just want to talk about the 3 td's, never mind he lost it..

Hey man.. Go Alex, free Alex to call his own plays! But if they would, he damn well better make them..
according to gwen knapp's article they are still "grooming" alex smith, whether they want to admit it or not...
  • jcs
  • Veteran
JCS and Dniner, just one question: do you really believe Jimmy rAe and big mike know what they are doing on O? You really think alex could call a worse game? Big mike wants to run,run, run with an O line that can't block. HOw could alex do worse? If we do as you fellows suggest, we know what to expect, and it is pathetic. What in the world is wrong with letting the guy out there who knows his OL can't block , calling the game? At the very least, i would certainly give him a shot at it for a couple games, anyway. Really, how can he do worse? WE should be 3-6 right now because last play of game, cutler hit mike lewis in the numbers, and the TE was open to his outside shoulder. Our O was pathetic. Generally when things are bad, one tries different things to see if the ship can be righted. We won't beat GB or anybody else with the O we have now. Why in the world not take a chance on alex?

Do i know or think he can do it? Heck, i don't know. I do know that jimmy rae's calls are losers for us. We don't get to play cutler again 3 times this yr. We have to have a functioning O , and right now we don't. What harm is there, what downside is there to letting someone else call the plays, who after being hammered for 3 weeks, may have an idea of what to call that succeeds. I don't get you guys who just say no, unless you expect jimmyrae to have an epiphany...and somehow, i just think that isnt' in the cards. And think of all the delay of game penalties we avoid, plus all the T.O.s we don't have to call because the plays came in late...again.

if our O plays the rest of the season like this we lose on out. We can't beat SEa, AZ, the rams, GB...heck nobody with our current O. And it all starts with the OC, and before that the HC...so far, they aren't getting it done. Try something different, which has a shot at working.

Alex has a hard time reading defensive blitz's...if he called his own plays everything would end in a checkoff to Gore. He just doesn't seem that "aware" of what's going on when he plays.
  • Mex49
Have you been writing your own prescriptions Doc? Those oxy's can be trouble
I think the chances of that are something like a gazillion to one against it. Singletary and Raye are trying to develop trust in Alex...and based on their conservative nature, I don't see them allowing Alex to call his own plays this year. First he's got to prove his overall worth to them...then more responsibility will come. In their eyes, he hasn't earned the right to "be his own man" yet.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Has he ever done this? What makes you think he's even capable?

I'm gonna say, NO!

hes done it once when his helmet wasnt working and he got a TD nice 20 yd pass jimmy raye wouldve never called that play
Originally posted by hcniner64:
Was it ever confirmed that in fact smith called his own plays during that two minuet drill or was it just speculated because he tapped his helmet?

Actually I believe that it was confirmed. At least one of the Matts' confirmed it.

~Ceadder
JCS and Dniner, just one question: do you really believe Jimmy rAe and big mike know what they are doing on O? You really think alex could call a worse game? Big mike wants to run,run, run with an O line that can't block. HOw could alex do worse? If we do as you fellows suggest, we know what to expect, and it is pathetic. What in the world is wrong with letting the guy out there who knows his OL can't block , calling the game? At the very least, i would certainly give him a shot at it for a couple games, anyway. Really, how can he do worse? WE should be 3-6 right now because last play of game, cutler hit mike lewis in the numbers, and the TE was open to his outside shoulder. Our O was pathetic. Generally when things are bad, one tries different things to see if the ship can be righted. We won't beat GB or anybody else with the O we have now. Why in the world not take a chance on alex?

Do i know or think he can do it? Heck, i don't know. I do know that jimmy rae's calls are losers for us. We don't get to play cutler again 3 times this yr. We have to have a functioning O , and right now we don't. What harm is there, what downside is there to letting someone else call the plays, who after being hammered for 3 weeks, may have an idea of what to call that succeeds. I don't get you guys who just say no, unless you expect jimmyrae to have an epiphany...and somehow, i just think that isnt' in the cards. And think of all the delay of game penalties we avoid, plus all the T.O.s we don't have to call because the plays came in late...again.

if our O plays the rest of the season like this we lose on out. We can't beat SEa, AZ, the rams, GB...heck nobody with our current O. And it all starts with the OC, and before that the HC...so far, they aren't getting it done. Try something different, which has a shot at working.

Yeah, I think he would be worse.

Yeah, I think J-Raye knows what he's doing on O (but not so much with Sing).
We haven't allowed qb's to call their own plays in like, forever. I guess they figure that an Offense Coordinator is smarter.
Bali niner, "nut hugging"? I just want to know if the kid can play or not. It is evident that neither he or shaun can play behind an OL that can't block(that's no surprise). So, i'm just saying, give him a shot. Worst thing that can happen is that he's no better than jimmy rae. And if he fails, then we just go back to JR's run/run/pass/ punt.

JCS, yes he does have a hard time reading blitzes, but if JR keeps calling run,run, pass, punt---every time we get the ball, wouldn't you expect any qb to have trouble reading blitzes---because everyone in the stadium, and that includes their D, knows what is coming.

Mex, yeah, have to fess up to it. I reach for the oxys right after jimmyrae's 4th consecutive series or run, run, pass, punt. Wash it down with Ripple, too. The OC calling is enough to make one drink Maalox instead of milk.

Corva, yup, chances may even be 2 gazillion to one against alex succeeding, and yes, he has to prove his overall worth to HC and OC. But if Chrysler is designing a new car and the plans are flawed, how is the car ever going to run properly? All i'm talking about is a short trial, maybe a couple quarters, maybe a couple games. HOw can we possibly expect alex to do well with a HC who telegraphs we are gonna run, and an OC who calls run, run, pass , punt? How can alex or Colt McCoy , or any other qb behind our phantom OL succeed, when the OL is just hash?

Incidentally, if alex got the chance to call his own plays and flopped, then i would say go ahead and look for another qb. I'm NOT an alex fan or detractor. I just want to know if the kid can play or not. And frankly, i am amazed more of you aren't curious enough to know the same thing.

We all know the OL can't run or pass block, at least w/ our predictable run, run, pass, punt O scheme. Okay, let's see w/ a different O scheme, alex's own, if he can succeed. IF he can't , then we need to be looking for another qb.

Right now, 5 yrs after alex first arrived, i have no idea if alex is "IT' or not. Where's your curiousity, guys? Let's find out. The alternative is to fix the OL, and it is obvious that isn't happening before the end of the season. Give the kid every opportunity to succeed, and if he doesn't, then we gotta go elsewhere at qb. On a team that already needs 3 starting OLinemen, getting a qb also is going to be impossible. Give him a shot...give him a shot.

I just don't see the downside in this, other than showing up bigmike's game plan and jimmyrae's playcalling.
I just don't see the downside in this, other than showing up bigmike's game plan and jimmyrae's playcalling.

Slow down there turbo. You DID suggest that they INCLUDE Smith in the game planning. Right? So it wouldn't be showing ANYONE up.

And on that note I would think that ALL teams include their QBs' in the game planning phase using film to break down the opposing Defense. Right?

If we aren't... well that explains a helluva lot of what's wrong with our Offense besides the OLine of course.

~Ceadder
Well, Ceadder, i would hope that alex had some input, which brings up an interesting question. Does anyone really know for sure that our qBs have ANY input during the week? If so, it must be dang little, because the run,run,pass,punt has sure been used to the utmost. YOu know, jimmyrae actually started last game with pass, pass, run and it went well. Then after using it once he went back to his RRPP, and never used that successful series again...or if he did, it wasn't used much. What happened? Was that one time Pass/ pass /run--- first down/, put in to keep the fans happy? Because after that i don't recall seeing it again. Anyway, anyone know for sure about QB input into weekly game plan?
Smith's weekly input: 'We need a second more from the line so I can throw the ball, Raye'

Raye: 'We are working on all aspect of the offense....Have you tried buying watches for those guys Alex. Especially that youngster Rahcel'