LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Barrows "49ers resigning Franklin, 50-50"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
let em go if we spend one of our first for mount cody.
but we would have to decide before the draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Oh well there's always Hampton or Wilfork.
It sure would be nice if the NFL would swap the draft and FA dates. If we could have the draft first, then FA, we could save ourselves the trouble of signing the Brandon Jones'.

That being said, I wouldn't overpay for Franklin. Haynesworth had a great year last year in Tennessee but hasn't done much of anything in Washington this year. Its always the same ol song and dance. Contract year rolls around and the player has a pro bowl year, then gets a contract and doesn't do anything else. I hope we concentrate on resigning Patrick Willis(and paying him what he deserves).
I rather just resign him so it's one less thing we have to worry about. He was solid last season too.
franchise him 4 one year and see how he plays.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
It sure would be nice if the NFL would swap the draft and FA dates. If we could have the draft first, then FA, we could save ourselves the trouble of signing the Brandon Jones'.

That being said, I wouldn't overpay for Franklin. Haynesworth had a great year last year in Tennessee but hasn't done much of anything in Washington this year. Its always the same ol song and dance. Contract year rolls around and the player has a pro bowl year, then gets a contract and doesn't do anything else. I hope we concentrate on resigning Patrick Willis(and paying him what he deserves).

Great point. Have the draft first, see what you have then you can get what you need from FA.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
If he leaves and we can't sign a replacement we then simply move back to the 4-3. We have the Dline depth to make that move.
Originally posted by jcs:
If he leaves and we can't sign a replacement we then simply move back to the 4-3. We have the Dline depth to make that move.

If we moved to a 4-3, I'd move Soap back inside and start Ray Mac at DE. I love me some Ray Mac!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Sopoaga at NT would be just fine, I don't think there would be much of a drop off and than let Balmer start at LDE. We will be okay either way, I still think Franklin will stay with the 49ers though.

Franchise tag his azz if he wants to test the market.

him up
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Sopoaga at NT would be just fine, I don't think there would be much of a drop off and than let Balmer start at LDE. We will be okay either way, I still think Franklin will stay with the 49ers though.
Sopo played NT in the preseason against the other team's #2 and #3's. If he is anywhere close to a starting-quality NT, he would have dominated those backup-level O-linemen he played against. In those games, Sopo didn't even play well at NT, let alone dominate.

Sopo at NT would be a significant drop-off.

I think Franklin will be a Niner next year. If it comes to it, I think we'll use one of the tags to keep Franklin. Wilfork will be too expensive. I could see us go after an under-rated NT like Pickett or Bannan.
Originally posted by DownSouth:

Sopo played NT in the preseason against the other team's #2 and #3's. If he is anywhere close to a starting-quality NT, he would have dominated those backup-level O-linemen he played against. In those games, Sopo didn't even play well at NT, let alone dominate.

I think Franklin will be a Niner next year. If it comes to it, I think we'll use one of the tags to keep Franklin. Wilfork will be too expensive. I could see us go after an under-rated NT like Pickett or Bannan.[/quote

I think we our 55 mil under cap and Wilfork is a safer bet IMO if he hits the market.
Originally posted by DownSouth:

I think Franklin will be a Niner next year. If it comes to it, I think we'll use one of the tags to keep Franklin. Wilfork will be too expensive. I could see us go after an under-rated NT like Pickett or Bannan.

Soaps played NT late in 2007 and played very well. Pre-season? our whole defense played terrible in pre-season.

Actually, I'm hoping Hampton or Wilfork will make it easier to sign Franklin.
Share 49ersWebzone