LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Barrows "49ers resigning Franklin, 50-50"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hopper:
I keep hearing the he's only playing well because it's a contract year argument.

But isn't it possible he's playing well because Singletary and Manusky simplified the whole defense?

I think Franklin said he was playing one gap now, I don't know if that's true for every play, but If he's only responsible for one-gap he sure is shutting it down. He's also demanding a lot of double teams lately. So is J.Smith. Pretty awesome. I have changed my mind from my previous post in this thread.

Sign Him! 4 years 16 million with 8 million guaranteed!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
If we lose Franklin, screw it, and can't get a possible upgrade (Wilfork maybe?), screw it, go 4-3.

And get a new DC too?

That was more frustration talking than anything.

Thinking of all the 3-4 teams, in the league, I think we have a good shot at resigning him, unless some team tries to break the bank.

Some 3-4 team will overpay for Franklin. Good 3-4 NTs, even one gappers are hard to find. Franklin has definitely made himself a lot of money with his play this year. That said, I hope we do resign him but not all costs. Hopefully he wants to stay and something can be agreed to that works for both sides.
If we lose Franklin, screw it, and can't get a possible upgrade (Wilfork maybe?), screw it, go 4-3.

And get a new DC too?

Thinking of all the 3-4 teams, in the league, I think we have a good shot at resigning him, unless some team tries to break the bank.

i don't think any 3-4 teams will go after him. he is kind of a pointless NT in most 3-4 schemes(unless they play him as a DE)

i think a cover 2 team would be more of a threat.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

And get a new DC too?

i don't think any 3-4 teams will go after him. he is kind of a pointless NT in most 3-4 schemes(unless they play him as a DE)

I really hope you're joking. Plenty of teams(3-4 especially) will be trying sign Franklin if he reaches FA.

[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:43:24 ]

And get a new DC too?

I really hope you're joking. Plenty of teams(3-4 especialy) will be trying sign Franklin if he reaches FA.

um really?

how many 3-4 teams do you know that run a 1-gap technique with their NT?
meh. i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. He's been invisible up till this season.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

And get a new DC too?

I really hope you're joking. Plenty of teams(3-4 especialy) will be trying sign Franklin if he reaches FA.

um really?

1 gap or 2 gap, The Niners have a top 5 run defense. You seriously don't think our NT who's plugging up the middle isn't going draw plenty of interest?

And get a new DC too?

um really?

1 gap or 2 gap, The Niners have a top 5 run defense. You seriously don't think our NT who's plugging up the middle isn't going draw plenty of interest?

nope. because he was horrible in a 2 gap. he started playing really well when sing took over and we switched to the 1 gap. and most of the 3-4 teams have smart front offices that will remember that and avoid him.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

And get a new DC too?

um really?

nope. because he was horrible in a 2 gap. he started playing really well when sing took over and we switched to the 1 gap. and most of the 3-4 teams have smart front offices that will remember that and avoid him.

3-4 teams aren't the only teams that will pursue him. I guarantee a team like the Colts who can't stop the run would take Franklin in a second.

And get a new DC too?

um really?

3-4 teams aren't the only teams that will pursue him. I guarantee a team like the Colts who can't stop the run would take Franklin in a second.

Originally posted by tn9er:
They always manage to play GOOD in that last year of their contract..

Is it him playing good or is it the talent around him?????

franklin's possibly the 2nd best player on our defense this season. he's first with the most run stops, he has 2 sacks (which is ridiculously hard for a nose tackle), and an interception (must i say anymore ?). if he chooses not to return at the end of the season, our D will definitely hurt next season.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by tn9er:
They always manage to play GOOD in that last year of their contract..

Is it him playing good or is it the talent around him?????

franklin's possibly the 2nd best player on our defense this season. he's first with the most run stops, he has 2 sacks (which is ridiculously hard for a nose tackle), and an interception (must i say anymore ?). if he chooses not to return at the end of the season, our D will definitely hurt next season.

i disagree. i do think there would be a drop off, but not that significant. it is much easier to get those stats when you do not have to hold the point covering 2 gaps.

And get a new DC too?

um really?

If it's an uncapped season any team that makes it to the divisional rounds will have severe restrictions on signing free agents. They can't sign anyone for over 5 mil, and they can only sign as many people as they lose in FA.

I said this before in a previous thread look for KC to be the number one threat. Pioli wants to run the 3-4 and they desperately need a NT. If Wilfork is off the market Pickett and Franklyn will be next on his list.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

And get a new DC too?

um really?

Pretty much told me all I need to know about you.

Can't say I'm surprised considering you think a NT who's played at a pro bowl level won't draw much interest.

And get a new DC too?

um really?

Pretty much told me all I need to know about you.

Can't say I'm surprised considering you think a NT who's played at a pro bowl level won't draw much interest.

well you don't get what i am laughing about?

okay look at the comment that you 1st quoted me on.
Share 49ersWebzone