There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Barrows "49ers resigning Franklin, 50-50"

Some of you have been wondering about Aubrayo Franklin's contract status. Franklin is in the final year of his contract, and he does not seem to be interested in an extension. He wants to see what he can fetch on the open market. He picked a good game - national television - to have his first career interception. What are the 49ers' chances of re-signing him? Put it at 50-50 ...
He's really played well this year. If we don't get him back, we're going to take a step back.

Balmer hasn't really shown anything and the Evans signing on the DL has been a bust.

Has anybody noticed that Ron Fields has played pretty well after he left?
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
I hope we resign him, and if not we have to hope wilfork hits the FA market. Losing a stout NT after all these years of subpar play at the position would be a huge regression for the defense.
I wouldn't want to spend alot. He is close to 30 & playing for that last contract so not sure what he will do after this season.
If we lose Franklin, screw it, and can't get a possible upgrade (Wilfork maybe?), screw it, go 4-3.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If we lose Franklin, screw it, and can't get a possible upgrade (Wilfork maybe?), screw it, go 4-3.

And get a new DC too?

Wot? Just like that?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
We need to save all of our money for Patrick Willis
I think he may be a one year wonder, at 29 and with only one good proven season in the NFL, I would not give hm a big long term deal. Maybe franchise him and sign him to the 1yr tender to avoid paying him a big SB? I think we can move Soaps or Balmer to NT and I think with Soaps at NT there wouldn't be much of a drop off.

I also wouldn't be suprised if Franklin tests the open market and finds out most if not all teams will be warry of giving him a big contract when he only had one good proven, NFL season in his 8 yr NFL career.

Of course there is always a team who overpays for a guy and gets bitten....
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
They always manage to play GOOD in that last year of their contract..

Is it him playing good or is it the talent around him?????

[ Edited by tn9er on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:01:40 ]
i have little problem with letting him go. we still need to improve, and we should have a 2-gap NT, vince wilfork would be great or if somehow casey hampton hits the market(i doubt it). and if we do lose franklin i think sopoaga will do just fine playing a 1-gap NT.
It'd be great if we could keep him around, but if he leaves I'm not going to sweat it. We developed him into the player he is. I would not be surprised if we let him walk and develop another NT. I am confident the staff can make the call on NT, they took a backup and made an All-pro.
We already need to get a (or a couple) better pass rushers...Looking for another NT would be a little rough. Good ones are not easy to come by. He is a big part of our run defense being as good as it is
I keep hearing the he's only playing well because it's a contract year argument.

But isn't it possible he's playing well because Singletary and Manusky simplified the whole defense?
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

And get a new DC too?

That was more frustration talking than anything.

Thinking of all the 3-4 teams, in the league, I think we have a good shot at resigning him, unless some team tries to break the bank.