There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree's effect on the team/franchise thus far

let's examine Michael Crabtree's effect on the team since he signed.

on the field i think it's obvious he provides us with someone that can consistenly get open on the outside, beat his man on the point of attack, and shows great hands and star potential at the position.

it's debatable whether or not he had a negative impact on the locker room when he was given a starting spot right away. I think he has handled the situation as good as you can ask for and guys like Morgan publically responded to it very well.

I wonder how B.Jones/J.Hill/A.Battle/I.Bruce took it and if it caused any ill will towards the coaching staff from any of the players.

One of the things I feel has gone ignored is the fact that his insertion into the offense causes almost as big of an adjustment as Alex Smiths arrival does on the offense as a whole.

I think it makes it easier on him having Smith at QB and the team going to a more wide open or spread approach

Overall I think he has been about as good and came more prepared to play than we could have hoped for. The 49ers finally have a #1 WR in Michael Crabtree, he will be a key to the playoff push if he isn't I'm afraid the holdout will be the main reason why.
I think the most positive thing that his arrival did was give Singletary a different perspective on our offense. It's forced him to re-think the smashmouth run run run offense that was not working to begin with. It got Alex Smith back into the saddle. It's shaken up our wide receiver depth chart. It's given Frank Gore a shot in the arm, since he's facing less 8 and 9 man fronts. There have been a lot of positives. The few miscues that he's had will get ironed out with one whole off-season with the team. If the Jets tampered with us, I hope they get penilized (sic) big time.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
I don't know if he has had such a great impact on the field. I say this because although he has had good catches with sometimes large positive gains; defers attention from vernon davis; and eases frank gore's load by lessening the amount of defenders in the box, he has also been responsible for a couple of turnovers. That being said, I am very excited about what he is going to do next week and the week after that right now I believe he has done as much damage as good.
IMO he has surpassed my expectations and can't wait to see what he does if/when we get an OL.
He definitely has it. Get an NFL quality o-line and then Crabtree can get open more often and rip up defenses. He will be a first down machine
IMO Hill, Battle, Bruce, and Jones knew up front Crabtree would be starting it was just a matter of when. It is apperent that Crabtree is still getting on the same page as Smiht.

What gives me hope is seeing what Crabtree can do with a training camp under his belt and working with are QB in the off season.
The play that was called incomplete early in the game was a thing of beauty. Not sure if any of the other wideouts make that catch. I don't know why they called it incomplete, it is pretty clear on replay it was a catch. Once he and Smith get their timing down, it will be really fun to watch.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
IMO he has surpassed my expectations and can't wait to see what he does if/when we get an OL.

and learns a playbook. And he's already gone through a QB change....

.............man, we don't have any consistency at all.
He has surpassed where I thought he would be by now. With more of a spread & aggressive attack the rest of the season he could finish in top 2 or 3 in Rookie of the Year voting.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm just glad he's on the team and playing along side his other teammates. These are the memories he'll never forget. That's what it's all about.
Originally posted by tohara3:
He has surpassed where I thought he would be by now. With more of a spread & aggressive attack the rest of the season he could finish in top 2 or 3 in Rookie of the Year voting.

Actually I was just looking at rookie WR stats and for someone who missed a few games he is not that far behind some of the top rookies who have played all the games.

1)Austin Collie-32 for 356yds
2)Johhny Knox-30 for 360 yds
3)Percy Harvin-28 for 369yds

14)Crabtree-18-215yds

At this pace he might either be right there or surpass these guys, especially if that $hitty OC decides to finally open it up. I am no Crabtree fan just yet but if he keeps playing like he has then I might forget that holdout nonesense. We may have a Rookie of the Year on our hands if he can make some big plays during our usual late season surge...
he has excellent hands and route running skills

still concerned about his break-away speed. Not sure if he can take one to the house or be a deep threat. So far, he looks like a possession WR.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
he has excellent hands and route running skills

still concerned about his break-away speed. Not sure if he can take one to the house or be a deep threat. So far, he looks like a possession WR.

Kind of like larry fitz?

true