LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Did Sing/McCloughan Plan This?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They have no plan. Just 2 idiots making it up as they go along. And hoping that a lot of the fan base is fooled by their antics. From the looks of these posts it appears a lot of people are fooled. So it is indeed working for them.

Originally posted by posterX:
They have no plan. Just 2 idiots making it up as they go along. And hoping that a lot of the fan base is fooled by their antics. From the looks of these posts it appears a lot of people are fooled. So it is indeed working for them.

I'm not fooled.

However,

I don't what I'm supposed to do

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

so I sit down

and I cry too

very poetic..."now go get your fuking shinebox"
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
Originally posted by TDking876:
Sing is doing his job the way it should be done. The best players play!!!!!! NO BS ABOUT BIG CONTRACTS!!!! HE WANTS WINNERS!!!!!

exactly

I'm very glad that when things aren't working, Singletary will change them up & not say put every week.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think it's just playing out the way everyone thought it woiuld. Nobody thought Hill would make it through the whole season and once Crabtree signed it was just a matter of time before they put Morgan in to play along side. It's just a natural progression, not a master plan.
Of course it was planned preseason. Its amazing that so many of you think that these coaches and management are just idiots and you joe armchair know it all. Wow do you plan things out in your life of course. Have you ever coached there is always players you want to develop and possible changes you aspire to if things dont go as origanally planed.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
The personnel changes this season seem to have a common pattern - suggesting a "planned" transition year for this team. Although no management team (Coach, GM, and Owner) could ever declare it publicly, it seems that the transition of personnel this year was at least given some fore-thought.

This also seems to fit with Sing's philosophy that there "are no rookies after training camp" - he doesn't wait for players to develop in practice like Nola - if they are supposed to be starters he gets them game experience and pressures them to perform now (although he has taken a different plan with Smith).

HILL to SMITH - it makes a lot of sense to start the more experienced or "heady" player at the start of the season to give the team the best chance to win early, but also to give Smith more time to get comfortable with the offense. Maybe this transition occurred a bit earlier than they planned, but there is a clear effort to bring Smith along slowly and build his confidence as if that was the plan all along.

RECEIVERS - Finding the starters among a young group. Season starts with their reliable starters Bruce, Battle, and Morgan filling it out. Bruce and Battle being phased out for more young talent. The wild card is Jones.

RUNNING BACK - They brought Coffee along pretty quickly, Robinson's time diminished.

DEFENSE - He put Spencer in over Bly, and was declaring that Tarrell Brown was starter caliber early. As soon as Clements was struggling and the season had progressed a bit, Brown got his chance.

Do you think it was an underlying plan or just coincidence??

COINCIDENCE.

If anything, I think this is a testament to the quality of players that Scot McCoulaghn has brought to the team. Here me out.

If ANY team was good enough at drafting quality players as your theory above would require, they would be winning all the time and not need to use the theory above.

On to the specific position "battles" you mentioned:

Smith vs Hill. I really thought Hill did a fantastic job last year. Well, that was also a different OC as well. Whatever the case, Hill wasn't cutting it this season. I think Smith has matured as a player and was able to be more effective this season. He's been making those short passes that have plagued him in the past. I think he's going to mature into a decent QB for us this year. He's younger and has more potential than Hill... and he's playing better than Hill. Obviously he should be the starter. Happy for him, regardless of my doubts.

Receivers.
MORGAN: At the end of last season I don't think anyone would argue that Morgan was going to be one of our top two receivers this season and had a big future with the team.
JASON HILL also showed a lot of potential but also needed some polishing.
BRUCE wasn't getting any younger and the team would be foolish not to play the younger guys and see if they were going to be a long term player for the team. He's gone after this season anyways.
JONES is a talented WR and played very good for the Titans, but as their #3. He saw an opportunity to be a starter in SF. So he signs a short term contact to play for us. If he left a 13-3 team that he was the #3 WR on... for a 7-9 "run first" team that he's the #3 (?) WR on... do you really think he's motivated to stay with us after his short contract is over? I don't think the 49ers should waste any time putting him on the field if he's not cracking the starting lineup. He's gone after this season. Mark my words.
CRABBY is wow. I've never seen a rook come in and play as well as he has. Holdout or not, he's going to be great for the team. And this "run first/middle/last" mentality will fade away so long as he's with the 49ers. He's also the reason that Jones expendable after this season.
BATTLE. I really like this guy, but he's older and injury prone. I'm not seeing him on this team much longer. He used to be Mr 3rd down for us too. I'll miss him anyways.

Defense:
SPENCER, one of the few players who came in before the Nolan era and still be with the team. He's really played well hasn't he? His lack of play time is a highlight on one of the many failures by Nolan.
BROWN... wasn't he one of the many CB's we kept on the roster last year? Obviously, young and talented. A lot of people here wrote him off after Payton Manning scorched him for a TD when he was thrown cold into a game as a rookie.
BLY/HARRIS/CLEMENTS: All good players who did good for this team (tuck the ball in Bly!) when we needed some FA's to come in and help. All good players and I'm happy to see that our younger guys are winning the starting job. That says a lot about our existing team and a long bright future for the position on the team as well.

A lot of young talented players were just mentioned. We never got to see a lot of them because Nolan preferred the older guys for whatever reasons he had. Singletary took over and started playing the younger guys. I think that action scored a lot of points for him with GM Scot McCoulaghn who was starting to get heat for not providing talented players. Well, I think that McCoulaghn has been vindicated. Obviously the younger guys that McCoulaghn drafted are good and they are winning starting jobs over talented and expensive FA's.

I'm not fooled.

However,

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

so I sit down

and I cry too

Welcome back Sabrason/Singfan...we almost missed your mindless banter.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I'm not fooled.

However,

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

so I sit down

and I cry too

Yep, I think you're right.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

I'm not fooled.

However,

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

so I sit down

and I cry too

I'm just a fan that thinks the Singletary hire was a tremendous mistake. Is that perspective allowed around here? You're a Vet so I value your input.

I'm not fooled.

However,

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

so I sit down

and I cry too

I'm just a fan that thinks the Singletary hire was a tremendous mistake. Is that perspective allowed around here? You're a Vet so I value your input.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion Sabrason, just remember your foolishness got you banned last time.

I'm not fooled.

However,

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

so I sit down

and I cry too

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion Sabrason, just remember your foolishness got you banned last time.

I think you are confusing me with other posters. However, judging from your posts, I guess that I share the same opinion as they do, or did. That shouldn't be a crime. I certainly don't consider it foolishness either. It does appear that it is the correct viewpoint.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Singletary is a pragmatic coach. If something isn't working, he's willing to make changes.

Wow...
If this was a plan.............

THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY PLAN ON GETTING A BETTER O-LINE.

I'm sorry for yelling. I don't care what changes have been made or were planned on being made.
Hill out, Smith in. Morgan out, Crabtree in. Bruce out, Morgan in. Battle out, J Hill in.

IT DOESN'T f**kING MATTER CAUSE THE O-LINE COULDN'T BLOCK A CANADIAN COLLEGE TEAM THIS YEAR.

[ Edited by AKfanster on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:36:25 ]
they need to plan a way to field a good oline
Share 49ersWebzone