LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

If this was your Offense how would you run it

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
West Coast Offense. Good enough for the SeaCocks, good enough for the FudgePackers. At least TRY to look like the great 49er teams; Crabtree on a slant, VDavis on a curl route, ASmith running headfirst for 22 yards...

We need to talk Steve Young out of retirement. That'll fix all of our problems, right? He's only 8 years older than Favre . . .

Nah, too old...

Funny thing is, Favre looks like he's 50 while Young looks like he's 30.

It's called HAIR COLORING.... Favre prefers to be natural. And BTW Favre does not look like 50.
I'd run some RB screens...we rarely do that, and I don't know why. They can help slow down the pass rush, and we all know our OL has no problem letting the opponent penetrate....

I'd also do some WR screens, w/Morgan and Crabtree. We don't utilize some of the athleticism our players have.

I'd use MRob in the wildcat...and/or the option. His athleticism hasn't been tapped other than on ST's, and that's a crying shame.

I'd put Vernon in the slot occasionally...he'd instantly create huge mis-matches.

I'd run the flea-flicker once in awhile...it's just another thing opponents would need to defend.
I would play to my offenses strengths. I have QB that is most comfortable in shotgun. I have alot of WRs at my disposal & Gore who is good when he gets some space. I would keep playing aggressive & not shut the offense down showing no confidence in them to finish a game for me.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
If this was MY Offense I would shoot myself in the head...

Actually I would put Staley in the RT slot because Sims held up pretty well against the Bears Defense.

Then I would still run the double T set to give myself an extra blocker in either Walker OR Davis.

Then I would Run Crabs and Hill down their throats with Morgan and Battle spelling them.

Run lots of crossing routes, screens, draws and delays to keep the Defense on their heels.

And THAT is what we should be running. Run Run Run is great great great, but if it doesn't get the Defense on their heels with this porous Line you're toast more often than you're golden.

~Ceadder

No, we arent football experts, but we DO know what works and what doesnt. ceadder and B650 have good points of what works for us. Wouldnt you know it, these plays take pressure off our line, as the defense is covering more than rushing the passer. Martz kind of shown us this last year, when Hill took over. There are some plays that should be altogether eliminated, as they are good, but not for us at all at this time. The run between tackles up the middle, the slow developing draw play, fullback option, that bubble screen as we call it, not to mention a few others. They all have the defense up front ready to charge. Not to mention Raye loves to call these at the damdest times, and turns them into drive killers. We do run well when the defense is loosened up.

We arent what are coach wanted us to be. Our coach wants to field a big, 300 pound plus, mauling aggressive linemen like Dallas and Miami, and run the ball at will. If that is the case, than this is where you start building, and evaluate for what your looking for. This should be in place before anything else. I sure wish we still had Justin Smiley, just for continuity. But after Nolan failed, Singletary and Scotty should once and for all get this taken care of next year, so we dont have to say these things about our weak line no more! Get a better line coach too!
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
I would play to my offenses strengths. I have QB that is most comfortable in shotgun. I have alot of WRs at my disposal & Gore who is good when he gets some space. I would keep playing aggressive & not shut the offense down showing no confidence in them to finish a game for me.

I agree with this in respect to THIS team. Get everyone comfortable and have Gore run on the outside sometimes. Seriously when was the last time we say him take a pitch?

In the long run my hope would be to return to the WCO. I struggle to think of a reason we have let our heritage slip away. It brought us success for two decades and is still a philosophy that produces. The beauty of the West Coast is that it could be adapted to whatever was required. We could have a time consuming version if that is the Coach's aim. A version that relies on the run if needs be.

Singletary once said that when playing the 49ers he always knew that someone was open. Didn't matter how they drafted a defensive scheme a 49er would get space and be open. I hope he remembers this.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fly15:
Bench A. Smith, put Nate Davis in. Tell K. Sheets that we're sorry, and bring him back. and ofcourse, mummy Raye would not be in the picture... then shotgun would b good

Oh what a great plan! You prove that we DO have NFL size talent here!!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No one posting here knows enough about pro football to make this kind of call. That is unless I am mistaken and we have some people posting here that have been in the NFL in some capacity or another.

If you dont know anything, just say so.
Plain and simple

strength of team
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Plain and simple

strength of team

exactly!...play to our strength!...
Raye seems to be opening up the offense as games progress and as Smith becomes more comfortable with the recievers. He is still not my pick but his game plan seems to be to allow development come as players grow and learn together...keeping in mind that the OL can't seem to hold up for more than two seconds.

Spreading out the D is the only way to keep the QB alive. This can be done by, as others suggest, screen plays, running out of the gun, planned QB rollouts, and then...given time, a few throws down the field.

By the end of the year I expect this offense to be much more effective and Smith to look like an NFL QB. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
spread the shiite out of the d. run shotgun at times. move alex in pistol formation. mix shiite up. no huddle the shiite out of the d. walk up to los and audile or pretend like i'm audibling. enough of this lets just run 10 straight times with a 4 point lead. bootlegs have worked before. do something outside of the norm that the whole entire NFL knows us of doing. dammit get it right.

Exactly, get our players out in space, especially GORE and create one on one match-ups. Get the D back on their heels and do a lil no huddle. I am in no way comparing Alex to Manning but I see Alex being successful in that type of O. He is the type that needs to get in a rythem and be in shotgun. Going from shotgun to under center I think screws him up. But this is all fantasy cuz unless Raye wakes his a$$ up we will go from running 10 times in a row to tight formation to not making an halftime adjustments to losing... Oh wait, we are already doing that...
Interestingly, the commentators, all of whom are ex-NL stars, all say the same thing 90% of the fans do. It is not that complicated and you can trust your eyes when you look at the same plays and schemes and philosophy game after game, season after season.

These acknowledged experts like the spread, want some plays to the outside, hate playing not to lose, clearly think Smith is indeed better than Hill, see that Smith works better out of the shotgun, see that he locks onto receivers and is too hesitant, see that the OL plays a lot better in the spread, sees that Gore runs a lot better out of the spread.

They seem to like Sing for many things, but question his emphasis on motivation over X's and O's. Raye clearly is thought of as too conservative, especially with a lead.

They do not seem to agree that Sing's offensive philosophy is realistic for this team and believe the play calling is too conservative.

The defense gets lots of praise and the DC does as well. I think most of those here feel this way as well.

That's what forum people say and that's what the commentators say. It is pretty clear. The question is will Sing and Raye go with what the strengths of this team obviously are, or will they not really let go of the nostalgic offense from days of yore.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Considering how bad our OL and QB have been, I would choose the conservative approach. The only way we can win is simple: Play good Defense, short passes to Davis and Crabtree, some screens to the TEs and Gore, and run, run, run. Although it doesn't look like it sometimes, but the SF coaches really knew what they were talking about in the beginning of the season when they said they are going to run the ball.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No one posting here knows enough about pro football to make this kind of call. That is unless I am mistaken and we have some people posting here that have been in the NFL in some capacity or another.

If you dont know anything, just say so.

I could engage in conjecture with you guys for fun, but it would be nothing more than that, I have never called plays in the NFL before...have you? By the way, I know how to properly punctuate, which seems to be beyond you. So don't get your panties in a bunch man, we are on the same side.
Share 49ersWebzone