LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

If this was your Offense how would you run it

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dugo
  • Veteran
We all have seen our offense struggle and have seen some bonehead play calling. What changes could be made to better the offense with the players we have now? Smash mouth football just ain't happen.The up your gut approach is getting spit back out by the other teams. Would the spread better suit this team offensively, or operating out of the shotgun with more mis-direction. Even a form of the WSO I think would fit us better. I like Sing not a big Raye fan. That said I don't believe either Sing or Raye uses what strengths this team has in order to try control the game and produce a win. How would any of you guys run this offense?
No one posting here knows enough about pro football to make this kind of call. That is unless I am mistaken and we have some people posting here that have been in the NFL in some capacity or another.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I like how we came out against the Bears. We passed efficiently. It probably would've resulted in a TD if Crabtree hangs on to that 3rd-down pass.

I also like how we ran the ball out of shotgun in the 4th quarter. I like the overall balance that we had in this game.

The only thing I would really change is the fact that we seem to come out aggressive, build a small lead, then go in a shell and start playing passively, not wanting our QB to lose the game in the 3rd and 4th quarters. This is the NFL. If you have that mentality, chances are you're going to lose.

We have to see what we have with Smith, so I say we should just remain aggressive throughout the entire game, lead or not. I'd like to see Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Davis, and Gore all out on the field at the same time. Spread them all out and let Alex find the open guy. Gore should also be able to run the ball this way because the defense isn't really expecting run. When we don't run, I'd make sure that on most plays, Gore is available as a safety valve for Smith so he doesn't panic and throw INTs. He can dump the ball off to Gore and let him do his thing.

I'd also like to see a lot more play-actions.
Jimmy Raye seems to have two playbooks. One for the gun-slinging that we saw in the first quarter, and the otehr for the super-conservative plays in the 3rd and 4th quarter. I would like to see a greater variety of plays, and more creative plays. How many times is Davis going to run the skinny post when they are in the red zone?
Play action, Play action, Play action. I dont think I have seen one play action in the last few games. Alot of teams run a play action on 2nd and short to go for the deep ball, we just waste the opportunity by running into a wall.
Originally posted by asakkings:
Play action, Play action, Play action. I dont think I have seen one play action in the last few games. Alot of teams run a play action on 2nd and short to go for the deep ball, we just waste the opportunity by running into a wall.

The bad thing about play action is that they take time to develop, sometimes our line doesn't give enough protection.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No one posting here knows enough about pro football to make this kind of call. That is unless I am mistaken and we have some people posting here that have been in the NFL in some capacity or another.

best...post...ever!!!!

Can we get this as our motto?

A lot of us played high school ball.

Played madden once or twice.

And play in the family turkey bowl once a year.

None of this qualifies us to run an NFL team.

However we have the right to say what we think should be done.
Doesn't mean we know what we are talking about.
From the tv camera angle WR's look open. From behind a collapsing line it looks way different.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Play action only works if you consistantly get 4+ yards per rushing attempt.

We are not there yet.
spread the shiite out of the d. run shotgun at times. move alex in pistol formation. mix shiite up. no huddle the shiite out of the d. walk up to los and audile or pretend like i'm audibling. enough of this lets just run 10 straight times with a 4 point lead. bootlegs have worked before. do something outside of the norm that the whole entire NFL knows us of doing. dammit get it right.
I would simply play to my teams strength. If my QB is best in the shotgun, then I`m putting him in the shotgun. If they are putting 8 in the box than I am audibling to 4 a wr set and spreading them out. Let them cover VD and Gore lined up at WR. A safety and LB? I will expose that match up all day till they take that 8th man out of the box. I wouldn't be this predictable soft offense. Id be aggressive with my play calling and play to win. Other than playing not to lose.

I'd throw screen passes to Gore a bit more then we do? We rarely ever use a screen pass and I'd throw in a bit more play action off the run, and I'd love to see them fake a run inside and pitch it outside to Gore.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
I'd throw screen passes to Gore a bit more then we do? We rarely ever use a screen pass and I'd throw in a bit more play action off the run, and I'd love to see them fake a run inside and pitch it outside to Gore.

We ran the screen once against the Bears and another time against the Titans. Both plays went for big yardage.

The problem is that:
1. it relies upon the defense bringing multiple defenders from the edge
2. there are only so many variations to the screen game

-9fA
I would ask Madden.
Originally posted by Crown:

Play action only works if you consistantly get 4+ yards per rushing attempt.

We are not there yet.

no we just need to set it up. i don't pretend to be an expert, but i know you need to set up the defense. right now that stupid morgan in motion run is primed for a play action, but will we ever use it again(probably not, it was succesfl once so it is put on the shelf)

also PA is meant to suck in the DEs, most of the time if the DEs don't bite on the fake the QB is dead.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Exactly. "In to the ground" would be the correct answer for the entire lot of us.
Share 49ersWebzone