LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

So, lets say that our o-line issues are solved, and we now boast one of the best offensive lines in the NFL in 2010.

Before we get to Alex, how is this going to happen?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by ZRF80:

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

What is funny is you misunderstood Z, he is on your side...he hates Smith too. His butt is sore because Hill failed and his antithesis is now starting.

Me =

With an ALL PRO offensive line all but the worst starting QBs in the NFL will be able to have good seasons. Add a premier back like Gore behind that line and it will almost certainly be even better.

With one of the best OL's in the NFL and Gore carrying the ball I think THE WORST Smith would do next year is 20 TDs, 16 INTs, 3,200 yards but I think it's more likely he'd have a few more TDs and a couple more hundred yards in that scenario.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
It's obvious that are o-line stinks (to say the least) at multiple levels. And Sing has acknowledged it, so we can assume that the problem will be addressed this offseason.

So, lets say that our o-line issues are solved, and we now boast one of the best offensive lines in the NFL in 2010.

Would you be willing to go into next season with Alex Smith as starter with Shaun Hill backing him up ? I mean, the majority of Smith supporters here think he is Montana reincarnate, and he only needs protection to excel and become a probowler.

In 2005, it was ok for him to suck because he was just a rookie and didnt have the supporting cast.

In 2006, it was ok because he didnt have the receivers, and despite having a great oline (and Gore breaking the Niner rushing record), he was still learning a new system under Turner.....so you couldnt blame him for not playing up to par.

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

In 2008, Alex was recovering from a shoulder injury. Cant blame him for that, so all the criticisms he got from guys like Martz, etc. are invalid. Anyways, why would we listen to Martz ? He doesnt know football, and thats why he's sitting at home today watching tv. Of course, you cant expect a guy recovering from injury to actually spend time LEARNING how to play the game. Thats expecting too much.

In 2009, we cant blame Alex, because coach Sing doesnt trust him enough. How can you showcase Smith's "Montanaish" arm when your coach decides to run the ball in the 4th quarter 9 straight times ? Clearly, Sing doesnt know football, and if he had half a clue, he would have let Alex throw his way to victory, kind of like what Hill did against Zona, Seattle, Minn (almost), and St.Louis. What Sing doesnt realize is that every week is a different story. Just because Smith threw 2 INTs on our 2 final drives against the worst ranked defense in the NFL (Tenn) last week doesnt mean he would have done the same against Chicago. If anything, chances are that Smith (if given the chance) would have thrown for 4 TDs at least and we wouldve crushed Chicago with a bigger margin.

With that said, IF our entire offseason is spent revamping the o-line, and we do succeed in it..........are you willing to give Smith another shot as starter next season ? And to show your confidence in Smith's ability, are you willing to give him that shot with Hill and Davis as are backups ?

Buddy, im not an A.Smith hater, but he SUCKS!!!! Give some credit to our OL, please. (rodgers has the worst OL and HE beat the cryboys) i had some hope after the texans game, but he seems to b the same old smith. He even had a chance to even the score and he blew it, AGAIN!!! hopefully he can prove me wrong, give Nate a chance....
Sure why not....he may be lights out with it! Now he wont think and just play!
Originally posted by fly15:
It's obvious that are o-line stinks (to say the least) at multiple levels. And Sing has acknowledged it, so we can assume that the problem will be addressed this offseason.

Would you be willing to go into next season with Alex Smith as starter with Shaun Hill backing him up ? I mean, the majority of Smith supporters here think he is Montana reincarnate, and he only needs protection to excel and become a probowler.

In 2005, it was ok for him to suck because he was just a rookie and didnt have the supporting cast.

In 2006, it was ok because he didnt have the receivers, and despite having a great oline (and Gore breaking the Niner rushing record), he was still learning a new system under Turner.....so you couldnt blame him for not playing up to par.

In 2008, Alex was recovering from a shoulder injury. Cant blame him for that, so all the criticisms he got from guys like Martz, etc. are invalid. Anyways, why would we listen to Martz ? He doesnt know football, and thats why he's sitting at home today watching tv. Of course, you cant expect a guy recovering from injury to actually spend time LEARNING how to play the game. Thats expecting too much.

In 2009, we cant blame Alex, because coach Sing doesnt trust him enough. How can you showcase Smith's "Montanaish" arm when your coach decides to run the ball in the 4th quarter 9 straight times ? Clearly, Sing doesnt know football, and if he had half a clue, he would have let Alex throw his way to victory, kind of like what Hill did against Zona, Seattle, Minn (almost), and St.Louis. What Sing doesnt realize is that every week is a different story. Just because Smith threw 2 INTs on our 2 final drives against the worst ranked defense in the NFL (Tenn) last week doesnt mean he would have done the same against Chicago. If anything, chances are that Smith (if given the chance) would have thrown for 4 TDs at least and we wouldve crushed Chicago with a bigger margin.

With that said, IF our entire offseason is spent revamping the o-line, and we do succeed in it..........are you willing to give Smith another shot as starter next season ? And to show your confidence in Smith's ability, are you willing to give him that shot with Hill and Davis as are backups ?

Buddy, im not an A.Smith hater, but he SUCKS!!!! Give some credit to our OL, please. (rodgers has the worst OL and HE beat the cryboys) i had some hope after the texans game, but he seems to b the same old smith. He even had a chance to even the score and he blew it, AGAIN!!! hopefully he can prove me wrong, give Nate a chance....

He might seem like the same ol Alex to the unobservant, but he definitely is not the same player we last saw as a starter. He is more confident, has better pocket presence, better footwork, and goes through his reads quicker.

By the way, you got suckered by Z, he hates Smith too...that was his attempt to be sarcastic because he thinks Hill was going to lead us to the promised land...

Rodgers did not beat the Cowboys, the Green Bay Packers did.

Not only that if you wanted to make the point that it was all about Rodgers in that game you'd be 100% wrong. He had a very average game and they had only scored a total of 3 points over the first 3 quarters. The GB offense was average at best yesterday, it was the GB defense that won that game.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Not only that if you wanted to make the point that it was all about Rodgers in that game you'd be 100% wrong. He had a very average game and they had only scored a total of 3 points over the first 3 quarters. The GB offense was average at best yesterday, it was the GB defense that won that game.

Ok, let me retype---THE GREEN BAY PACKERS won the game, and your right. But the guy did good, if smith was their QB they would of lost 4 sure!! and i care less if hes a good QB (rodgers) or not "but the cryboys lost" and thats what matters to me. Where i live, im the only one with a 9er jersey that has #15, the other 300 fans r wearing a blue n white jersey w a star on it--give me a break...

Ok, let me retype---THE GREEN BAY PACKERS won the game, and your right. But the guy did good, if smith was their QB they would of lost 4 sure!! and i care less if hes a good QB (rodgers) or not "but the cryboys lost" and thats what matters to me. Where i live, im the only one with a 9er jersey that has #15, the other 300 fans r wearing a blue n white jersey w a star on it--give me a break...

If Smith was their QB he would have been brought up right and not been thrown into the fire by a coach that should write a book on how to ruin a #1 draft pick. You are right about the important part though...the cowb***hes suck!
I don't want Alex Smith as a starter. Period.

In his 5 years he hasn't showed me anything to make me think I would want him to be the centerpiece of our franchise. I'd rather take my chances in the draft over and over again, until we do find that cornerstone.

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Damn, with all the hate we hear about Smith week in and week out. You'd never think it's 80% to almost 20% for bringin him back. Makes me wonder, who actually makes up that 20 %. I bet you half if not 75% of them are either HIll backers, or Smith Haters.

I don't see either one of these guys as the answer.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
I don't want Alex Smith as a starter. Period.

In his 5 years he hasn't showed me anything to make me think I would want him to be the centerpiece of our franchise. I'd rather take my chances in the draft over and over again, until we do find that cornerstone.

Good luck with that, because with this OC and OL, any QB we draft is going to be Alex Smith 2.0.

We might as well fix everything else around Smith and hope he develops into a good QB. It's possible to fix the OL and OC in one year, whereas a new QB is going to waste yet another 3 or 4 years. Regardless, even if we DO draft a new QB, chances are he isn't going to start anytime soon. So you'll probably see Smith start for a while.

Unless of course, we go out and trade for a proven QB, like a Carson Palmer, for example. I doubt teams are looking to trade proven QBs though.
  • ZRF80

If Smith was their QB he would have been brought up right and not been thrown into the fire by a coach that should write a book on how to ruin a #1 draft pick. You are right about the important part though...the cowb***hes suck!

Yes, cause the only way to ruin a draft pick is by letting them play.
Originally posted by Tman:
i stopped reading after "dan marino's td passing record"

How did you manage to get that far?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We have a better chance of getting an all Pro qb next year than an all pro line. The hypothetical appeal of this thread is too much.

It's more likely we will have neither.

Z's point was to start another thread to bash Smith, any other point is purely secondary in nature.

Unfortunately for him, the response to the poll is probably not at all what he anticipated...

It's always interesting to remember that the majority of visitors to the zone really aren't all that crazy or blinded by prejudice for or against certain players.

Unfortunately, it's the minority that post the most and enjoy their exaggerated statements of either doom and gloom or untempered optimism that give the impression that this place is nothing but lunatics.
Share 49ersWebzone