LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

If we get a blue chip RT and LG, the sky is the limit for this offense

I'm not a Alex hater, nor would I consider myself a bigfan of his, but I do think he deserves a fair shake and if he goes into next year with the same system, he can hit the ground running and our offense wont sputter and stall due to all the growing pains.

Plus Nate will have another training camp under his belt and will be capable to go when his number is called.
I'm all for bringing in another QB, hopefully a vet with a strong arm with some upside left can come in and fight for the 3rd QB spot and maybe more.

Lets fix the O-Line first before we blow up the QB position and rebuild all over again, fixing the line and adding a couple more playmakers will go a long way IMO
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
No.
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by titan:
No! I want an All Pro QB or a future all pro QB! An All Pro Offensive line with Alex Smith as a QB doesn't make sesnse!
That's like owning a Hummer with a 4 cylinder Hyundai engine, It doesn't maximize the capabilities, just not strong enough!

It makes more sense than throwing an all pro QB out there behind a line that gets him killed. I swear some of you guys just don't seem to grasp the game of football.

Dude, read and understand, then post! With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year........

So you're saying you'd like an all pro line with an all pro quarterback instead of an all pro line with a non all pro quarterback?

Ummm....who wouldn't?
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Nate isn't ready. Neither Hill nor Smith can really show what they can do with no O-line protection. At least not enough. Both could do better with a decent amount of time to throw on a consistant basis. While I am a Hill fan, I don't think he is the answer for the future. Not sure Smith will ever get it, but he is there now and deserves his chance. 1.5 seconds isn't a fair shot for either of them. I personally think that if Hill had to come in now, he would be more successful than Alex, but not sure if it would be enough either. The way I see it right this minute is that Hill should be the back up next season and we need another veteran Q.B. to start. Dont think Smith will get it done and if Nate is a future, he needs sufficent time to prepare, like a year or two more.
Lame. All an elaborate pretext rehash old arguments and to bash on Smith. Next time just label the thread, "More Bashing on Alex Smith".
Originally posted by Steve:
Nate isn't ready. Neither Hill nor Smith can really show what they can do with no O-line protection. At least not enough. Both could do better with a decent amount of time to throw on a consistant basis. While I am a Hill fan, I don't think he is the answer for the future. Not sure Smith will ever get it, but he is there now and deserves his chance. 1.5 seconds isn't a fair shot for either of them. I personally think that if Hill had to come in now, he would be more successful than Alex, but not sure if it would be enough either. The way I see it right this minute is that Hill should be the back up next season and we need another veteran Q.B. to start. Dont think Smith will get it done and if Nate is a future, he needs sufficent time to prepare, like a year or two more.

Ok new blood. I agree with one main thing, NATE IS NOT READY. However, Hill fan or Smith lover, Hill's time in San Fran is Done my friend. Even Matt M, said they Dont see HILL EVER STARTING AGAIN. (for us anyway). He's a solid backup. I think if things go ok for the rest of this season, next year Smith will start, Davis will be backup, and like you said they find a vet. But im just saying you can write Hill out of the equation all together. I just dont think he fits into their plans. And i mean you want the job of 2nd, so that at some point you will start. If they say he'll never start again, and explain he's a solid backup, then maybe he'll be our 3rd, next season. If everything works out.
All I have to say is if you want an example look at Orton in Denver. Get Smith an Oline and case closed.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste our time with going out and assembling a good OL without addressing the weakest link (Alex Smith).

X2
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste our time with going out and assembling a good OL without addressing the weakest link (Alex Smith).

A BIG Amen to That.
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG Amen to That.

So you two think that the o line is not the problem?

Originally posted by ZRF80:

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

I take my negative comment back man, sorry.... i read the Marino part and thought you were a true Smith supporter who truly believed that!
[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
If we can fix the o-line through adding a big time free agent, then use our 1st round pick on another o-lineman, use carolinas 1st round pick on a QB. Start Smith until the rookie QB is ready. I can live with that.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG Amen to That.

So you two think that the o line is not the problem?

No! He just KNOWS that Alex, waste-of-number-one-pick-and-tons-of-money-who-has-no-talent, Smith sucks now and will suck if we had an "All-Pro" offensive line!

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by ZRF80:

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

What is funny is you misunderstood Z, he is on your side...he hates Smith too. His butt is sore because Hill failed and his antithesis is now starting.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
If we can fix the o-line through adding a big time free agent, then use our 1st round pick on another o-lineman, use carolinas 1st round pick on a QB. Start Smith until the rookie QB is ready. I can live with that.

I agree with most of your statement except the drafting a QB. It is a touchy issue, but we might want to see how Davis can develop before drafting another. Maybe we go out and get a FA that still has something in him for 2 years or so. I dont know who though...
Share 49ersWebzone