There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

• ZRF80
It's obvious that are o-line stinks (to say the least) at multiple levels. And Sing has acknowledged it, so we can assume that the problem will be addressed this offseason.

So, lets say that our o-line issues are solved, and we now boast one of the best offensive lines in the NFL in 2010.

Would you be willing to go into next season with Alex Smith as starter with Shaun Hill backing him up ? I mean, the majority of Smith supporters here think he is Montana reincarnate, and he only needs protection to excel and become a probowler.

In 2005, it was ok for him to suck because he was just a rookie and didnt have the supporting cast.

In 2006, it was ok because he didnt have the receivers, and despite having a great oline (and Gore breaking the Niner rushing record), he was still learning a new system under Turner.....so you couldnt blame him for not playing up to par.

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

In 2008, Alex was recovering from a shoulder injury. Cant blame him for that, so all the criticisms he got from guys like Martz, etc. are invalid. Anyways, why would we listen to Martz ? He doesnt know football, and thats why he's sitting at home today watching tv. Of course, you cant expect a guy recovering from injury to actually spend time LEARNING how to play the game. Thats expecting too much.

In 2009, we cant blame Alex, because coach Sing doesnt trust him enough. How can you showcase Smith's "Montanaish" arm when your coach decides to run the ball in the 4th quarter 9 straight times ? Clearly, Sing doesnt know football, and if he had half a clue, he would have let Alex throw his way to victory, kind of like what Hill did against Zona, Seattle, Minn (almost), and St.Louis. What Sing doesnt realize is that every week is a different story. Just because Smith threw 2 INTs on our 2 final drives against the worst ranked defense in the NFL (Tenn) last week doesnt mean he would have done the same against Chicago. If anything, chances are that Smith (if given the chance) would have thrown for 4 TDs at least and we wouldve crushed Chicago with a bigger margin.

With that said, IF our entire offseason is spent revamping the o-line, and we do succeed in it..........are you willing to give Smith another shot as starter next season ? And to show your confidence in Smith's ability, are you willing to give him that shot with Hill and Davis as are backups ?
i stopped reading after "dan marino's td passing record"
Originally posted by ZRF80:
It's obvious that are o-line stinks (to say the least) at multiple levels. And Sing has acknowledged it, so we can assume that the problem will be addressed this offseason.

So, lets say that our o-line issues are solved, and we now boast one of the best offensive lines in the NFL in 2010.

Would you be willing to go into next season with Alex Smith as starter with Shaun Hill backing him up ? I mean, the majority of Smith supporters here think he is Montana reincarnate, and he only needs protection to excel and become a probowler.

In 2005, it was ok for him to suck because he was just a rookie and didnt have the supporting cast.

In 2006, it was ok because he didnt have the receivers, and despite having a great oline (and Gore breaking the Niner rushing record), he was still learning a new system under Turner.....so you couldnt blame him for not playing up to par.

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

In 2008, Alex was recovering from a shoulder injury. Cant blame him for that, so all the criticisms he got from guys like Martz, etc. are invalid. Anyways, why would we listen to Martz ? He doesnt know football, and thats why he's sitting at home today watching tv. Of course, you cant expect a guy recovering from injury to actually spend time LEARNING how to play the game. Thats expecting too much.

In 2009, we cant blame Alex, because coach Sing doesnt trust him enough. How can you showcase Smith's "Montanaish" arm when your coach decides to run the ball in the 4th quarter 9 straight times ? Clearly, Sing doesnt know football, and if he had half a clue, he would have let Alex throw his way to victory, kind of like what Hill did against Zona, Seattle, Minn (almost), and St.Louis. What Sing doesnt realize is that every week is a different story. Just because Smith threw 2 INTs on our 2 final drives against the worst ranked defense in the NFL (Tenn) last week doesnt mean he would have done the same against Chicago. If anything, chances are that Smith (if given the chance) would have thrown for 4 TDs at least and we wouldve crushed Chicago with a bigger margin.

With that said, IF our entire offseason is spent revamping the o-line, and we do succeed in it..........are you willing to give Smith another shot as starter next season ? And to show your confidence in Smith's ability, are you willing to give him that shot with Hill and Davis as are backups ?

Wow, that's just a crazy statement. To suggest that a junior OC would purposefully sabotage a QB for some reason and thereby also ensure that he failed too is just this side of crazy talk. It kind of makes it hard to take any of the rest of your post seriously.

And to answer your question, let's fix the O-line first. Maybe that'll help Smith to succeed or maybe it won't, but it needs to be done. So even if Smith can't succeed with an adequate O-line, then the next QB, who could be the answer, could be put in a position to succeed.
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste our time with going out and assembling a good OL without addressing the weakest link (Alex Smith).
Originally posted by Tman:

me 2 hill frikkin arious
I don't know anyone who thinks he is Montana reincarnate. That theory only exists in the minds of the truly embittered.

And in answer to the bile of the OP, if we spend the offseason assembling a great O line, who do YOU think we can place under center? Getting a new line will preclude, unless we have extraordinary luck, getting a quality draftee. So that leaves Smith, Hill or Davis, or a FA acquisition.

Call it. I say Smith, at least until the coaches have seen what they can get out of Davis.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Originally posted by Tman:

lol me too
Let me put it this way. I would rather have an all pro offensive line and Smith as the starter than an all pro QB with our offensive line right now.
Dear heavenly almighty creator,

Thank you for another Alex Smith thread.

Sincerely K.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Let me put it this way. I would rather have an all pro offensive line and Smith as the starter than an all pro QB with our offensive line right now.

Well put.

I'd certainly wouldn't mind giving him the chance. Let Nate Davis to learn some more and get him in there when he's good and ready.

Smith isn't terrible but the coaches need to let him throw the ball.
No, I want an all pro QB.
my answer is simple : no like N O like n-o like Dr No like absolutely NOt like nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
so when can we start blaming saint alex
Let me ask you...who would you want as QB instead of Alex?