There are 239 users in the forums

Alex Smith 33 starts without a 300 yard passing game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While I'm enjoying this win, the question also lingers: how much of Alex's stats are due to a weak Jaguars secondary?
The OLINE performed really well today, which is a bit odd as well.

I guess as Alex has good games, "consistently", these doubts would probably go away automatically. Until then, part of being a QB under scrutiny.
Originally posted by dave1003:
I am watching his post-game question and answer right now, and he seems more confident every week when answering. And the columnists are giving him some love. The only thing, the only little thing I would change if I were him... his shirts. He wears the same damn shirt every week after the game. Oh well, lets focus, because we may still have a shot at making the playoffs. Go 9ers!

the fact that you've noticed that worries me a little
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He didn't get it today but no one can complain about his first half performance. It remains to be seen whether or not it was a fluke though.

You say his good performances were a fluke after every game. Isn't it getting old by now?

performances...plural?

What?

the only bad game he's had has been the titans game this year.

Ummmm........Chicago wasnt exactly a cakewalk for him....

Chicago was bad. But, as you can tell when they put in the spread the entire game he looks good. He has looked good in the spread all year.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
That was Alex's best game of his career.

yea he finally beat a team that a) was on a three game win streak and b) is in playoff contention in the AFC
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by dave1003:
I am watching his post-game question and answer right now, and he seems more confident every week when answering. And the columnists are giving him some love. The only thing, the only little thing I would change if I were him... his shirts. He wears the same damn shirt every week after the game. Oh well, lets focus, because we may still have a shot at making the playoffs. Go 9ers!

the fact that you've noticed that worries me a little

• ZRF80
Originally posted by sacniner:
He didn't get it today but no one can complain about his first half performance. It remains to be seen whether or not it was a fluke though.

You say his good performances were a fluke after every game. Isn't it getting old by now?

performances...plural?

What?

Chicago was bad. But, as you can tell when they put in the spread the entire game he looks good. He has looked good in the spread all year.

Cant argue with you there. I think the key will be next week, as Seattle will surly come out prepared for the spread. Lets see how the Niners go about attacking their defense.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by danimal:
That was Alex's best game of his career.

yea he finally beat a team that a) was on a three game win streak and b) is in playoff contention in the AFC

and He led the win. Yes, the Niners were awesome today at everything, but Alex Smith was leading this team to victory.

Very very complete and solid game.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by iohk:
damn crabs dropped a forsure today

That throw was a dime

No doubt, Crabs dropped a couple big ones today and I think VD dropped a couple too.
Interesting stats

Peyton Manning threw for 300+ yards in his NFL start
Tom Brady threw for 300+ yards in his 4th NFL start
Tim Couch threw for 300+ yards in his 17th NFL start
David Carr threw for 300+ yards in his 21st NFL start

Alex Smith has 33 starts so far without a 300 yard passing game.

hater.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
While I'm enjoying this win, the question also lingers: how much of Alex's stats are due to a weak Jaguars secondary?

I guess as Alex has good games, "consistently", these doubts would probably go away automatically. Until then, part of being a QB under scrutiny.

i have yet to see alex smith play well in 2 consecutive games. we'll see

performances...plural?

What?

Cant argue with you there. I think the key will be next week, as Seattle will surly come out prepared for the spread. Lets see how the Niners go about attacking their defense.

That is going to be a hard game. I think it'll be close either way. Seattle on the road is always difficult, and those fans hate the niners. If we win that game, I have no doubt about the AZ game.
The greatest part of this performance is that WE MIXED IT UP. I personally didn't want the offense to go to a full spread, what I did want to see was more vertical routes, and 4,5 WR sets mixed in with the traditional i-formation.

I think that that was one of Smith's finest performances. He played a complete game. And this was with Gore being shut down.

-9fA

No the oline played well verses the pass but they run block like a 98 year old man.
Originally posted by miked1978:

No the oline played well verses the pass but they run block like a 98 year old man.

Smith was getting the ball out quicker on a lot of plays which helped the o line. I think the spread forces the qb to get the ball out quicker. Smith stats were due to throwing accurate passes. Especially in the first half. Don't hate. If you saw the game, you would of seen his performance, it wasn't a fluke.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Smith was getting the ball out quicker on a lot of plays which helped the o line. I think the spread forces the qb to get the ball out quicker. Smith stats were due to throwing accurate passes. Especially in the first half. Don't hate. If you saw the game, you would of seen his performance, it wasn't a fluke.

Smith moved around the pocket very well.

Key example was the TD throw to Gore.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone