• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Method:
What Hill did was go home instead of staying here to pass with Crabtree. If you tell me this didn't make a difference in Singletary's head when comparing the two Quarterbacks, you're being delusional.

I don't know if you can tell Method...but it was always meant for Alex to eventually get one last chance to start or what ever....even if it meant our season...and that is what it seems like is happening...

before Sing was retained as HC...it was reported about how they (front office) wanted a coach who could still salvage Alex's career.....Sing told them that he felt had a bad deal in his first few years and believed in him....I'm sure that helped out alittle bit in the decision....

So I'm sure every little thing was considered when looking for a reason to start Alex again....... they gave him every opportunity in OTAs,Training Camp, PreSeason to "win" the starting role....but Alex couldn't do it convincingly, just like Alex couldn't beat out Rattay even though the starting Job was basically given to him, in his rookie year..... then after a few games where Rattay played fine...had 5tds in 3 games...but was still pulled after struggling in the first half against the Cards......3.5 games into the Season that we were TOLD we were going to play to win the WEST...but the keys were given to Alex........so again...after a few set of games....the keys are given to him again.....when were TOLD that we were going to play to win the WEST...

like a said a while ago....although I hope and expect Alex to pick up his game....Singletary is taking a very dangerous risk with putting all chips on Alex, like Nolan did......Sing has been here this whole time...he should know first hand about depending solely on Alex......

but, as I have said before....maybe this was part of the deal, as far as getting the gig....playing Alex if the opportunity was there.... I mean, when other players on our team were making mistakes....Sing was telling them off....no nonsense.....but with Alex...it was kind of pathetic seeing Singletary on that podium making excuses for all those turnovers.....one or two maybe....haha.....man it looked like he was reaching.....the Great Mike Singletary....did not look like the Singletary I have watched or heard these past year.

Dont forget when we won some games, and Hill didnt produce, he made excuses for HIll's horrible play. ON the blowout, he made excuses for HIll, after the Bye, when all thought Smith should get in, he stood by Hill and let him start against the Texans, and then what, he still bombed. The only games we won behind center were within our division with Hill behind center, and to be real, you may not like it, but i bet we wouldnt have beat them if they were playing like they are now.

But enough about should of or would of. Dont lose sight brotha AFrik, that Sing, and i quote said, Hill started the beginning of the season because at that time, he gave us the best chance to win. Key words, at that time.

Now, with a new WR starting core, new OC plays being called, new o-lineman. With all these changes, Smith gives us the best chance to win. And stop pointin out INT's im watchin every week and almost every damn qb this week threw for 1 or 2 int's. The point is, and the upside is that Smith has scored more Td's in his short span than in HIll's 6 games. So i mean it comes down to would u rather have a QB, that can ONLY manage a game, but no turnovers (oh besides sacks), or a QB who so far, has looked better with his feet, can utilize the entire field and all of our WR's,

and not too mention that Gore has had his best yardage avg's once Smith is behind center.

So i mean lets stop b***hin. He didnt do anything wrong. He was just being Hill, and when the smoke cleared and it caught up to him, he was pulled. Just that simple.

this is the problem.... I have no problem if Alex did all these things...or should I say, is allowed to do all these things....... when he has been allowed to pass like crazy...play in a spread...turnovers have happened....in a 5 day span Alex had 4INTs 2fumbles..

Raye opened up the offense for him in that Titans game...and there were alot of turnovers......then 5 days later...we came out in a spread type offense against the Bears (and I loved what Alex was doing...a couple of missed passes but, I still like it)....but what happened after that one INT.......right after that INT, Sing pulled EVERYTHING back.....and we started to try to run out the clock in the beginning of the 3rd qtr. ....with a 4pt lead .....

so this is the thing....if Alex is going to be used, then I want him to have more than one chance to redeem himself...or atleast let him get into rhythm and built more confidence....and just be aggressive as an offense.... (it doesn't have to be deep passes or what ever....just more spread type passes on 1st and 2nd down)

and if he struggles and throws INTs and fumbles...then get his arse out of there.....but if he plays like how some of yall Alex fans feel he can play... THEN GREAT and we have a great chance at the playoffs and maybe more....because we have alot of weapons on offense..and a great defense to get it done week in and week out against any team.

but....if we are going to change the whole offensive gameplan, midgame, just because of one INT...and play it close with Alex as our QB...then that is when I have a HUGE problem..... Alex just hasn't proved to be realible in these close type games.....yes he chokes.....in the Titans game late in the 4th qtr when he could have drove us down field to win the game...he threw an INT....our defense then held them to 3pts and we got another chance to tie the game....THIS IS RARE... Alex got a RARE opportunity to redeem himself...and drive us downfield to tie the game....he didn't have to do too much...it wasn't 4th and long or what ever...there was alot of time on the clock...but what did he do.....threw another pick ....

so if we ARE going to play these close types of games....then I'm more comfortable with Shaun, because he as PROVED that he can drive us down field in the 4th qtr when we needed him...on 3 occasions......

so Jersey.....if we are going to call plays like how we did against the Bears in the first half.... I have no problem with Alex or Shaun back there.....BUT if we are going to play these close, not to lose, type games then HELL NO I don't feel comfortable with Alex back there....and would rather have Shaun Hill back there.......does that sound like a bias point of view...or a point of view of someone who wants the best for the team to win games and make the playoffs...

does that answer your question though?

So Hill drove us down the field in the 4th quarter on 3 occasions...when was this? Are you counting preseason? All I remember is the Arizona game. That's one time. He did it against Minnesota, but that was very early in the 4th and we LOST. We lost because we got conservative, and that's because we had Shaun Hill in at QB. So yes, he drove us down there, but the coaches got conservative because they don't trust him.

It's the same with Alex. He comes out firing, and then in the 2nd half the coaches get conservative again and have him hand the ball off to Gore for 2-yard gains.

Maybe the QB isn't the problem. Maybe it's the coaches.

this doesn't make sense B650..... I find it VERY weird that "they would not trust him" right after he just came through for the team and got them a 4pt lead..... in Shaun's case I wouldn't say its trust....at least in that scenario.........but

in Alex case...it was RIGHT after that INT, that we got all conservative.....and less than 5 days after Alex threw 3ints and 2 fumbles.........so in Alex case...against the Bears...I feel yes there was not trust.......but in the Vike game....Shaun gave the coaches no reason not to trust him....they were just too conservative.....it was late in the 4th qtr and we had a 4pt lead....they were trying to run out the clock and force Farvra to drive the length of the field and pull out a miracle.......where as with Alex....it was right after that INT and our offense approach changed dramatically with a only a 4pt lead with 3rd and 4th qtr still to be played.

but yes...I agree the OC has problems with both QBs in trust in opening up the offense.....I'll just speak for Shaun...but he did fine with Martz in a pretty open offense...with Gore not having much of an impact....still scored TDs.....and I'm just he would do fine with the type of offense we ran in the first half against the Bears....

You're right. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, which is why it's happening. The coaches are clueless.

In Arizona, Shaun Hill drove us down the field and put us up 20-16, but then when we got the ball back, all we did was run the ball, and I'm talking like 3 straight times up the gut for no gain.

Shaun Hill does the same in Minnesota, and we get the ball back with a lead. What do we do? Run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Minnesota defense. We lose.

Alex Smith drives the team for a TD against Indianapolis just before the half. What do we do? We come out the 2nd half and run the ball.

We come out firing against the Bears and move the chains. We come out in the 2nd half, guess what...yes...running the ball. At least this time it was creative. We used shotgun to run.

Overall, the coaches don't trust whoever is in there, whether it's Alex OR Shaun.

The bottom line is that whoever is in there, it's the coaches who need to step their game up and TRUST the QB.
What Hill did was go home instead of staying here to pass with Crabtree. If you tell me this didn't make a difference in Singletary's head when comparing the two Quarterbacks, you're being delusional.

I don't know if you can tell Method...but it was always meant for Alex to eventually get one last chance to start or what ever....even if it meant our season...and that is what it seems like is happening...

before Sing was retained as HC...it was reported about how they (front office) wanted a coach who could still salvage Alex's career.....Sing told them that he felt had a bad deal in his first few years and believed in him....I'm sure that helped out alittle bit in the decision....

So I'm sure every little thing was considered when looking for a reason to start Alex again....... they gave him every opportunity in OTAs,Training Camp, PreSeason to "win" the starting role....but Alex couldn't do it convincingly, just like Alex couldn't beat out Rattay even though the starting Job was basically given to him, in his rookie year..... then after a few games where Rattay played fine...had 5tds in 3 games...but was still pulled after struggling in the first half against the Cards......3.5 games into the Season that we were TOLD we were going to play to win the WEST...but the keys were given to Alex........so again...after a few set of games....the keys are given to him again.....when were TOLD that we were going to play to win the WEST...

like a said a while ago....although I hope and expect Alex to pick up his game....Singletary is taking a very dangerous risk with putting all chips on Alex, like Nolan did......Sing has been here this whole time...he should know first hand about depending solely on Alex......

but, as I have said before....maybe this was part of the deal, as far as getting the gig....playing Alex if the opportunity was there.... I mean, when other players on our team were making mistakes....Sing was telling them off....no nonsense.....but with Alex...it was kind of pathetic seeing Singletary on that podium making excuses for all those turnovers.....one or two maybe....haha.....man it looked like he was reaching.....the Great Mike Singletary....did not look like the Singletary I have watched or heard these past year.

Dont forget when we won some games, and Hill didnt produce, he made excuses for HIll's horrible play. ON the blowout, he made excuses for HIll, after the Bye, when all thought Smith should get in, he stood by Hill and let him start against the Texans, and then what, he still bombed. The only games we won behind center were within our division with Hill behind center, and to be real, you may not like it, but i bet we wouldnt have beat them if they were playing like they are now.

But enough about should of or would of. Dont lose sight brotha AFrik, that Sing, and i quote said, Hill started the beginning of the season because at that time, he gave us the best chance to win. Key words, at that time.

Now, with a new WR starting core, new OC plays being called, new o-lineman. With all these changes, Smith gives us the best chance to win. And stop pointin out INT's im watchin every week and almost every damn qb this week threw for 1 or 2 int's. The point is, and the upside is that Smith has scored more Td's in his short span than in HIll's 6 games. So i mean it comes down to would u rather have a QB, that can ONLY manage a game, but no turnovers (oh besides sacks), or a QB who so far, has looked better with his feet, can utilize the entire field and all of our WR's,

and not too mention that Gore has had his best yardage avg's once Smith is behind center.

So i mean lets stop b***hin. He didnt do anything wrong. He was just being Hill, and when the smoke cleared and it caught up to him, he was pulled. Just that simple.

this is the problem.... I have no problem if Alex did all these things...or should I say, is allowed to do all these things....... when he has been allowed to pass like crazy...play in a spread...turnovers have happened....in a 5 day span Alex had 4INTs 2fumbles..

Raye opened up the offense for him in that Titans game...and there were alot of turnovers......then 5 days later...we came out in a spread type offense against the Bears (and I loved what Alex was doing...a couple of missed passes but, I still like it)....but what happened after that one INT.......right after that INT, Sing pulled EVERYTHING back.....and we started to try to run out the clock in the beginning of the 3rd qtr. ....with a 4pt lead .....

so this is the thing....if Alex is going to be used, then I want him to have more than one chance to redeem himself...or atleast let him get into rhythm and built more confidence....and just be aggressive as an offense.... (it doesn't have to be deep passes or what ever....just more spread type passes on 1st and 2nd down)

and if he struggles and throws INTs and fumbles...then get his arse out of there.....but if he plays like how some of yall Alex fans feel he can play... THEN GREAT and we have a great chance at the playoffs and maybe more....because we have alot of weapons on offense..and a great defense to get it done week in and week out against any team.

but....if we are going to change the whole offensive gameplan, midgame, just because of one INT...and play it close with Alex as our QB...then that is when I have a HUGE problem..... Alex just hasn't proved to be realible in these close type games.....yes he chokes.....in the Titans game late in the 4th qtr when he could have drove us down field to win the game...he threw an INT....our defense then held them to 3pts and we got another chance to tie the game....THIS IS RARE... Alex got a RARE opportunity to redeem himself...and drive us downfield to tie the game....he didn't have to do too much...it wasn't 4th and long or what ever...there was alot of time on the clock...but what did he do.....threw another pick ....

so if we ARE going to play these close types of games....then I'm more comfortable with Shaun, because he as PROVED that he can drive us down field in the 4th qtr when we needed him...on 3 occasions......

so Jersey.....if we are going to call plays like how we did against the Bears in the first half.... I have no problem with Alex or Shaun back there.....BUT if we are going to play these close, not to lose, type games then HELL NO I don't feel comfortable with Alex back there....and would rather have Shaun Hill back there.......does that sound like a bias point of view...or a point of view of someone who wants the best for the team to win games and make the playoffs...

So Hill drove us down the field in the 4th quarter on 3 occasions...when was this? Are you counting preseason? All I remember is the Arizona game. That's one time. He did it against Minnesota, but that was very early in the 4th and we LOST. We lost because we got conservative, and that's because we had Shaun Hill in at QB. So yes, he drove us down there, but the coaches got conservative because they don't trust him.

It's the same with Alex. He comes out firing, and then in the 2nd half the coaches get conservative again and have him hand the ball off to Gore for 2-yard gains.

this doesn't make sense B650..... I find it VERY weird that "they would not trust him" right after he just came through for the team and got them a 4pt lead..... in Shaun's case I wouldn't say its trust....at least in that scenario.........but

in Alex case...it was RIGHT after that INT, that we got all conservative.....and less than 5 days after Alex threw 3ints and 2 fumbles.........so in Alex case...against the Bears...I feel yes there was not trust.......but in the Vike game....Shaun gave the coaches no reason not to trust him....they were just too conservative.....it was late in the 4th qtr and we had a 4pt lead....they were trying to run out the clock and force Farvra to drive the length of the field and pull out a miracle.......where as with Alex....it was right after that INT and our offense approach changed dramatically with a only a 4pt lead with 3rd and 4th qtr still to be played.

but yes...I agree the OC has problems with both QBs in trust in opening up the offense.....I'll just speak for Shaun...but he did fine with Martz in a pretty open offense...with Gore not having much of an impact....still scored TDs.....and I'm just he would do fine with the type of offense we ran in the first half against the Bears....

You're right. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, which is why it's happening. The coaches are clueless.

In Arizona, Shaun Hill drove us down the field and put us up 20-16, but then when we got the ball back, all we did was run the ball, and I'm talking like 3 straight times up the gut for no gain.

Shaun Hill does the same in Minnesota, and we get the ball back with a lead. What do we do? Run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Minnesota defense. We lose.

Alex Smith drives the team for a TD against Indianapolis just before the half. What do we do? We come out the 2nd half and run the ball.

We come out firing against the Bears and move the chains. We come out in the 2nd half, guess what...yes...running the ball. At least this time it was creative. We used shotgun to run.

Overall, the coaches don't trust whoever is in there, whether it's Alex OR Shaun.

The bottom line is that whoever is in there, it's the coaches who need to step their game up and TRUST the QB.

ok if this is the case...and the coaches feel this way..... I don't know how anyone, fans, writers, and MAINLY the coaches, can feel more comfortable with Alex back there for one last drive when he hasn't done a good job so far......

if this is the case they are jeopardizing the team's playoff chances if they are going have Alex as the starter, by playing conservative close type games..... with this type of approach, I don't know what is more important for them this year....getting close wins and making the playoffs......or seeing "one last time" if Alex can turn it around at the expense of the team....

and that is what I really have a problem with.....because I fell we have the team to win "now".

its like they are contradicting themselves and hoping for the best....or maybe someone has more pull than they should........o'l Scotty boy.
  • B650
  • Veteran

ok if this is the case...and the coaches feel this way..... I don't know how anyone, fans, writers, and MAINLY the coaches, can feel more comfortable with Alex back there for one last drive when he hasn't done a good job so far......

if this is the case they are jeopardizing the team's playoff chances if they are going have Alex as the starter, by playing conservative close type games..... with this type of approach, I don't know what is more important for them this year....getting close wins and making the playoffs......or seeing "one last time" if Alex can turn it around at the expense of the team....

and that is what I really have a problem with.....because I fell we have the team to win "now".

its like they are contradicting themselves and hoping for the best....or maybe someone has more pull than they should........o'l Scotty boy.

One day, they'll be able to take the training wheels off and let Smith throw the rock around.

Hill might be the better guy if it comes down to one final drive. The issue is, Hill was playing so horribly in his final few games, we wouldn't even have the opportunity for any final drives. What's the solution? Play Smith through 3 quarters, then play Hill in the 4th?

I think we made the right choice. Let's throw Smith in there and hope he matures enough so that he's able to win games in the 4th. Hill's lack of arm strength means it's really pointless to waste time and keep him in there, because we know for fact we aren't going to win a Super Bowl with him. On the other hand, Smith has the talent to do so, but just needs experience, which is what we're giving him now.

Like I've been saying all along, Smith has 7 games to prove that he's the QB of the future. Sooner or later, the coaches have to take the training wheels off.
Originally posted by cestmoi:
stupid thread

That ain't nice!
I think he wore his hat backwards. Or maybe it was the fact he couldn't throw a pass farther then 15 yards.
Yeah, he asked Coach Sing to drop his pants again.
yes Shaun Hill said something wrong, he said he hates Inidans, so Sing benched him
Lets get real if we had a O Line that could block and give either Alex or Shawn time to look over the field, we can then judge the QB play. When either has time they both look good. If we don't go after 2 Guards and Tackle in the off season we will be doing the same thing next year except it will be Alex vs. Nate Davis. The problem is in how we evaluate O Line in the Draft. Rachel is not a NFL player, no big deal I am not an Accountant either
Come on, the reality is that with Hill, there is a slight chance of making the playoffs but being eliminated on the first day. That is a reality. Hills production was decreasing game by game because teams figured him out. They would keep 8-9 in to box, bring their corners up, perhaps go to a cover 1 and eliminated the short passes (Hills bread and butter). The coaches saw the writing on the wall. They needed to change as Hill does not have what it takes to produce long term. He has about 4-6 good games a year.

Now, enter Smith. Granted, he has been schizophrenic at best. However, if he is able over the rest of the year to rise up and be even a decent QB, the coaching staff have to find out. They need to know if we need to draft a QB high or if we need to start pushing Davis to get ready, basically address the QB issue…. I see what is going on to be perfectly logical. I don’t see that we have a team that can win now with Hill behind center. I have said that since day one. I have also said that I have my reservations about Smith. I am not sold on him but I also see this year as a perfect opportunity to come to a final conclusion of yea or nay. (I know the “Lazy Boy” talent scouts in here have come up with their opinions)

At the end of the year, we will be able to say Smith has demonstrated solid improvement and is reaching his potential or he has had his shot and it is time to cut the strings and move quickly in another direction. Bashing Smith right now gains nothing. He is progressing. He looks like a better QB then he did a couple of years ago (granted not hard to do). The real question at the end of the season will be; has he improved enough? Those of you who hate Smith, take a deep breath, objectively watch him perform, look for signs of progression, and support the kid for now because he is the QB whether you like it or not!!!!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its because Singletary found out that Hill is an Atheist.

• Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Now -- before you get excited -- hear me out kids. Yes, indeed, I am sober this morning and thinking somewhat rational thoughts. This is not another "bash Alex" thread nor is it a "I love Shaun's jockstrap" thread.

Call it an "I wonder" thread.

Just got done reading the Barrows report on Coach Singletary's assessment after the game. The line of, "I thought Alex did a good job," caught me off guard. I mean, even the most fervent Alex supporters will admit the dude simply has not performed the way they think he can. They keep waiting for the light to snap on.

But when I see that line of "I think Alex did a good job," man I'm wondering if Singletary is watching the same game I am. To me -- it's akin to Singletary uttering the line of "Hill has the strongest arm in all of NFL football." Many of you would sit up and say, "what?" Is he watching the same QB I'm watching?

There is absolutely NO MENTION of inserting Hill back into the lineup, which leads me to believe that it's probably not going to happen. It's like the man has fallen off the charts or something. Singletary has made it clear that he's going with Alex -- come He** or high water.

Now -- I understand that Hill is not going to lead us to the promised land. But the man still delivered three wins. He won an open QB competition in camp and was installed as the clear #1 to start the season.

In the space of less than eight games -- he went from clear #1 to not even so much as a mention. To me? That's seems strange. It just doesn't smell right.

Which makes me wonder.... What -- if anything -- did he do wrong? He's been awfully quiet lately. No Hill quotes that I've seen.

Am I dreaming? Or is there smoke there?

In my opinion you build until you need better tools. I think we ran our course with Hill. I'm not a huge Smith fan and I still do not believe he is the answer but he can take us slightly further than Hill can right now.

As to his silence then I think Hill is a humble guy. He didn't get drafted high so the hype around him is not required. He will be rooting for Alex.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:

At the end of the year, we will be able to say Smith has demonstrated solid improvement and is reaching his potential or he has had his shot and it is time to cut the strings and move quickly in another direction. Bashing Smith right now gains nothing. He is progressing. He looks like a better QB then he did a couple of years ago (granted not hard to do). The real question at the end of the season will be; has he improved enough? Those of you who hate Smith, take a deep breath, objectively watch him perform, look for signs of progression, and support the kid for now because he is the QB whether you like it or not!!!!

This. Smith hasn't blown us away yet (other than the one half against Houston), but I don't think he's been a total screw up either. His completion percentage is higher than it's ever been, he looks more confident in the pocket, and he's a much better scrambler than Hill ever was.

He still has a tendency to lock onto receivers, and I think he makes his decision on who to throw to without going through his checkdowns, but those are easily correctible mistakes.

I've been a Smith supporter for a long time, but if he hasn't blown us away by the end of the year I think it's time to look for our quarterback of the future.
Share 49ersWebzone