There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did Shaun Hill do/say something wrong?

Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Plain and simple, not going to happen because Hill cannot make the throws for those plays to be called. His throws hang up in the air for so long Mark Roman could pick him off. Hill is likely done as a 49er, there isn't one team in the NFL he could start for except maybe Cleveland.

He wouldn't start for the Raiders?

Davis loves the vertical game. Heyward-Bay wouldn't be lighting it up as much with a QB like Hill.

Heyward-Bey is lighting it up?
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Plain and simple, not going to happen because Hill cannot make the throws for those plays to be called. His throws hang up in the air for so long Mark Roman could pick him off. Hill is likely done as a 49er, there isn't one team in the NFL he could start for except maybe Cleveland.

He wouldn't start for the Raiders?

I said he wouldn't start for any TEAM.
The league caught up to Hill's shortfalls...they knew he didn't have the arm to consistently get the ball downfield, and so accordingly, they bunch up their defenses to challenge him. The strength of our offense (beyond Gore) is our WR's and Vernon, so it makes better sense for Alex to be the QB and get them the ball. He's the best option we have now. Maybe next off-season, Nate Davis will challenge for the starting position, we'll see. For now, Alex is getting his chance to show he can do the job. I hope he can, so we can focus the next draft on upgrading the OL, DL, RB, FS, and pass rusher(s).
It is obvious to almost everyone that Smith is better for the offense than Hill. Hill has been exposed for what he is, a career third stringer. He was never a sure fire starter, there is not one other team in the NFL he could start for. I am not saying Smith will be the guy to lead the niners, he has much to prove to me before I feel comfortable with that. Hill just was in over his head, he is a gutsy guy, but guts aren't all it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. I think the coaches feel that Smith can still be taught how to play in the NFL, and they are going to make sure before they spend another draft pick on a QB and set the teams progress back a couple of more years. I think Smith has the intelligence and work ethic to continue to improve, I do not see why everyone freaks out when a guy coming back from an eighteen month layoff due to a serious shoulder injury seems to struggle a bit. I expected him to struggle, but to continue to show improvement over the course of the year. I do not think it is as unreasonable as those who obviously expected him to come back sharp out of the gate and play at a pro bowl level. He has shown me signs of improving and the mistakes he makes now are more from lack of NFL experience than from lack of talent, some of you guys just deal only in absolutes, so you get disappointed to easily.

to say" he can't start for any other nfl team" is a little harsh...i have a raider fan buddy that would kill to have Shaun Hill start for the raiders
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The league caught up to Hill's shortfalls...they knew he didn't have the arm to consistently get the ball downfield, and so accordingly, they bunch up their defenses to challenge him. The strength of our offense (beyond Gore) is our WR's and Vernon, so it makes better sense for Alex to be the QB and get them the ball. He's the best option we have now. Maybe next off-season, Nate Davis will challenge for the starting position, we'll see. For now, Alex is getting his chance to show he can do the job. I hope he can, so we can focus the next draft on upgrading the OL, DL, RB, FS, and pass rusher(s).

Yes indeed. And maybe just a little focus on a fullback?
Hill won the starting job because Smith hurt his hand in preseason.
Hill was having a terrible preseason! And the announcement of his win came only after Smiths injury.
Not saying Smith was lighting it up
but I honestly think Hill won by default
Hill deserved to start the first few games. He earned it. But, the physical requirements of playing QB in the Sing/Raye system are higher than in the Martz system.

Hill could float passes in the Marz system because the receivers were open in the confused defense. DCs had a hard time preparing for Marz, to say the least.

In the Sing/Raye system, the defenses know pretty much what is coming and that means you need a QB who can fire in accurate passes to barely open receivers. Clearly, this system also puts a bigger burden on the OL, so the QB also needs to run around while doing this.

Only Smith had a chance at succeeding in the Sing/Raye offense. I still think Davis would do even better. It would be very interesting to see who they would go to if Smith was injured.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Yes indeed. And maybe just a little focus on a fullback?

We really need Safety, o line and a pass rusher.

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Nov 15, 2009 at 10:00:56 ]
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
It is obvious to almost everyone that Smith is better for the offense than Hill. Hill has been exposed for what he is, a career third stringer. He was never a sure fire starter, there is not one other team in the NFL he could start for. I am not saying Smith will be the guy to lead the niners, he has much to prove to me before I feel comfortable with that. Hill just was in over his head, he is a gutsy guy, but guts aren't all it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. I think the coaches feel that Smith can still be taught how to play in the NFL, and they are going to make sure before they spend another draft pick on a QB and set the teams progress back a couple of more years. I think Smith has the intelligence and work ethic to continue to improve, I do not see why everyone freaks out when a guy coming back from an eighteen month layoff due to a serious shoulder injury seems to struggle a bit. I expected him to struggle, but to continue to show improvement over the course of the year. I do not think it is as unreasonable as those who obviously expected him to come back sharp out of the gate and play at a pro bowl level. He has shown me signs of improving and the mistakes he makes now are more from lack of NFL experience than from lack of talent, some of you guys just deal only in absolutes, so you get disappointed to easily.

to say" he can't start for any other nfl team" is a little harsh...i have a raider fan buddy that would kill to have Shaun Hill start for the raiders

See reply #61...
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
As far as opposing defensive coordinators were concerned, we might as well have had a high school quarterback. Simple blitzes shut him down and they stacked the box without any fear of him making the big play, and they were right. Nothing against Hill personally...
there are alot of posters who talk out of their arses here....

if it is/was that simple to stop Shaun Hill like some of yall "knowledgeable" posters like to yell out at the top of your lungs... TELL ME.

in the most important part of a game....4th qtr. game is on the line... WHY THE HELL COULDN'T the CARDS Stop Shaun.... he drove down field on them when we decided to pass consistently after running up the gut for most of the game..... it wasn't like there was one HUGE 50 yard play or anything.... the Cards had numerous opportunities to stop him.... but didn't.

in the most important part of a game....4th qtr. game is on the line... WHY THE HELL COULDN'T the SeaHawks Stop Shaun from drive us down the field and taking 8mins off the clock and scoring points to put the game away.... they watched the Cards game WHY DIDN'T they adjust.....it is soooo simple right???

in the most important part of a game....4th qtr. game is on the line.....we are losing, without Gore Shaun leads the team on a long drive, against one of the BEST defenses in the league....again WITHOUT GORE to help catch passes.....threat of the run....or just what he brings in blitz pickup....without him... HE DROVE DOWN FIELD AND GAVE US THE LEAD....not a field goal, but a 4point lead..... WHY COULDN'T the VIKES stop him????? they had film on him this year.....they had film on him last year...... exactly S**U!

EVERY PART of the Team struggled against the Falcons....

anyway the past is in the past.....Alex is the starter and he has thrown an INT EVERY SINGLE GAME HE HAS PLAYED THIS YEAR..... I think we should be more worried about him.....

as far as Sing saying that "Alex did a good job" his last game....funny how standards drop when ever Alex is back there.....lets just keep holding his hand and tell him everything is ok....don't want to hurt his feelings....or you know...make him a better QB by being honest with him and letting him pick his self up....

WHAT THE HELL DOES A "GOOD" JOB MEAN NOWA DAYS????

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:56:40 ]
All he did wrong was fail to be able to move the offense anymore.

Alex moves the offense. We've had far, far, far, FAR less three and outs lately.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
You are seeing what you want to see. Alex has played better than Hill. You see the extra running room for gore? That comes from defenses respecting Alexs arm.

Gore had his best game of the season with Hill under center.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Afrikan:
there are alot of posters who talk out of their arses here....

if it is/was that simple to stop Shaun Hill like some of yall "knowledgeable" posters like to yell out at the top of your lungs... TELL ME.

in the most important part of a game....4th qtr. game is on the line... WHY THE HELL COULDN'T the CARDS Stop Shaun.... he drove down field on them when we decided to pass consistently after running up the gut for most of the game..... it wasn't like there was one HUGE 50 yard play or anything.... the Cards had numerous opportunities to stop him.... but didn't.

in the most important part of a game....4th qtr. game is on the line... WHY THE HELL COULDN'T the SeaHawks Stop Shaun from drive us down the field and taking 8mins off the clock and scoring points to put the game away.... they watched the Cards game WHY DIDN'T they adjust.....it is soooo simple right???

in the most important part of a game....4th qtr. game is on the line.....we are losing, without Gore Shaun leads the team on a long drive, against one of the BEST defenses in the league....again WITHOUT GORE to help catch passes.....threat of the run....or just what he brings in blitz pickup....without him... HE DROVE DOWN FIELD AND GAVE US THE LEAD....not a field goal, but a 4point lead..... WHY COULDN'T the VIKES stop him????? they had film on him this year.....they had film on him last year...... exactly S**U!

EVERY PART of the Team struggled against the Falcons....

anyway the past is in the past.....Alex is the starter and he has thrown an INT EVERY SINGLE GAME HE HAS PLAYED THIS YEAR..... I think we should be more worried about him.....

as far as Sing saying that "Alex did a good job" his last game....funny how standards drop when ever Alex is back there.....lets just keep holding his hand and tell him everything is ok....don't want to hurt his feelings....or you know...make him a better QB by being honest with him and letting him pick his self up....

WHAT THE HELL DOES A "GOOD" JOB MEAN NOWA DAYS????

What Hill did was go home instead of staying here to pass with Crabtree. If you tell me this didn't make a difference in Singletary's head when comparing the two Quarterbacks, you're being delusional.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home