There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did Shaun Hill do/say something wrong?

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by susweel:
Bill I think the deceision has come down from management (McClueless) that they want to see Alex play.

So, does this mean that management is calling the shots then? On issues of who starts and who doesn't?

That's pretty ballsy. I'm surprised that Singletary would agree to such a setup. Can you imagine John McVay or Eddie D. telling Bill Walsh who to start and who to bench?

I can imagine imagine Bill's two word response -- starting with the letters of "F" and "Y."

Interesting observation sus. I didn't know that.

Its just a guess. I also think that defenses have figured out how to shut down Shaun Hill. It happens to a lot of QBs, they come in and play decent at first and the defenses have more film on them and they game plan to shut him down.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
You are seeing what you want to see. Alex has played better than Hill. You see the extra running room for gore? That comes from defenses respecting Alexs arm.

That's not going to last much longer. Once teams realize Smith doesn't throw the ball down field or pretty much anywhere like the second half Thursday night our offense will look even worse.

its not about making the throws, its about getting the time and the 49ers don't have the oline to hold up and let any QB make those throws.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Yeah, he did something wrong. He sucked.
Listen -- I'll be the first to admit that Hill doesn't have a rocket arm. He doesn't even have Smith's arm.

But that still didn't stop him from hitting some medium range passes. That late TD pass to Vernon against Minny? That was a 20-yard thing of beauty. Was it a rocket throw? Nope. But he still got the ball there.

I don't know. I still see smoke.

55% completion percentage means he wasn't hitting short to medium range passes consistency.. If your game is relegated to short and medium passes, you better be above 60%.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Now -- before you get excited -- hear me out kids. Yes, indeed, I am sober this morning and thinking somewhat rational thoughts. This is not another "bash Alex" thread nor is it a "I love Shaun's jockstrap" thread.

Call it an "I wonder" thread.

Just got done reading the Barrows report on Coach Singletary's assessment after the game. The line of, "I thought Alex did a good job," caught me off guard. I mean, even the most fervent Alex supporters will admit the dude simply has not performed the way they think he can. They keep waiting for the light to snap on.

But when I see that line of "I think Alex did a good job," man I'm wondering if Singletary is watching the same game I am. To me -- it's akin to Singletary uttering the line of "Hill has the strongest arm in all of NFL football." Many of you would sit up and say, "what?" Is he watching the same QB I'm watching?

There is absolutely NO MENTION of inserting Hill back into the lineup, which leads me to believe that it's probably not going to happen. It's like the man has fallen off the charts or something. Singletary has made it clear that he's going with Alex -- come He** or high water.

Now -- I understand that Hill is not going to lead us to the promised land. But the man still delivered three wins. He won an open QB competition in camp and was installed as the clear #1 to start the season.

In the space of less than eight games -- he went from clear #1 to not even so much as a mention. To me? That's seems strange. It just doesn't smell right.

Which makes me wonder.... What -- if anything -- did he do wrong? He's been awfully quiet lately. No Hill quotes that I've seen.

Am I dreaming? Or is there smoke there?

i think the explanation is quite simple :
sing has seen Hill play for 14 games in a row (almost a season with a 8-6 record) and decided he wasn't the QB to lead us to the playoffs after two bad games (falcons, texans although the first one is a complete team failure so you should count one)
Now he wants to see if alex is the one and give him a fair chance that probably means starts for the remainder of the season, support him thru the media to give him confidence (do the opposite of nolan) and facilitate the decision making process at the end of the season
We might see nate davis if smith totaly sucks for a few games but it will probably be next year
Personaly i'd like to see Hill with the same play calling smith got cos i think we're going nowhere with him he's been a loser for + years now and nothin has changed
Hill got it going with martz cos he could throw, not pretty of course, but he could throw and not making a lot of INT's which is fantastic in the martz system
With a less demanding system smith has already 6 picks
Read my lips : Smith is never (any circumstances or season given) going to lead us to the playoffs and i'm reday to eat my words if i'm false (but that won't happen)

Do you want some salt with those words ?

well newbie i might eat your words with sugar at the end of the season
Listen -- I'll be the first to admit that Hill doesn't have a rocket arm. He doesn't even have Smith's arm.

But that still didn't stop him from hitting some medium range passes. That late TD pass to Vernon against Minny? That was a 20-yard thing of beauty. Was it a rocket throw? Nope. But he still got the ball there.

The Niners had to get the eight or nine men out of the box. That just isn't going to happen with Hill in there.
Bill I think the deceision has come down from management (McClueless) that they want to see Alex play.

I think the decision has been unanimous throughout the organization that Hill is not the answer, they are giving Smith the chance to grow and improve his game so they know how to plan the off season next year. I don't buy that it is based on one single persons assessment of the situation.
Now -- before you get excited -- hear me out kids. Yes, indeed, I am sober this morning and thinking somewhat rational thoughts. This is not another "bash Alex" thread nor is it a "I love Shaun's jockstrap" thread.

Just got done reading the Barrows report on Coach Singletary's assessment after the game. The line of, "I thought Alex did a good job," caught me off guard. I mean, even the most fervent Alex supporters will admit the dude simply has not performed the way they think he can. They keep waiting for the light to snap on.

But when I see that line of "I think Alex did a good job," man I'm wondering if Singletary is watching the same game I am. To me -- it's akin to Singletary uttering the line of "Hill has the strongest arm in all of NFL football." Many of you would sit up and say, "what?" Is he watching the same QB I'm watching?

There is absolutely NO MENTION of inserting Hill back into the lineup, which leads me to believe that it's probably not going to happen. It's like the man has fallen off the charts or something. Singletary has made it clear that he's going with Alex -- come He** or high water.

Now -- I understand that Hill is not going to lead us to the promised land. But the man still delivered three wins. He won an open QB competition in camp and was installed as the clear #1 to start the season.

In the space of less than eight games -- he went from clear #1 to not even so much as a mention. To me? That's seems strange. It just doesn't smell right.

Which makes me wonder.... What -- if anything -- did he do wrong? He's been awfully quiet lately. No Hill quotes that I've seen.

you wanna know what he did wrong??? they figured him out thats what happend.. they put 8 in the box and told shaun hill to beat them with his arm and hill was getting run over... im not saying hill is a bad QB but when you have a horrible o line that cant pick up blitzes and QB that cant run it = no points.. thats why you do not see hill anymore..

alex can move better but he produces more turnovers... so pick your poison
ya he couldn't kick a football 50 yards down field let alone throw it there. Not hard to defend a qb who can't accurately throw a football more then 15 yards.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

45-10 against the falcons, 21-0 against the Texans, the team was not in good shape.

You can't really blame poor defensive efforts on Hill. I bet we still rank pretty high on 3 and outs. I am still convinced that we are severely gimped with Raye calling the shots. His plays are sooo uncreative. I mean, we almost lost to Chicago because our defense can't hold anything... The pass rush has become practically nonexistent...

wow dude really? IMO are D is playing good. it wasnt a pretty win but it was a win, you should be happy.

Smith just opens it up for the WR's, if he starts messing up Im sure there will be another switch at QB. Niners are just doing what they feel gives them the best chance to win
The difference is that regardless of what the Zone thinks of Alex Smith's performance on Thursday night he did play a good game. The stats are a reflection of what he was asked to do and nothing less. He only attempted 23 passes! There aren't alot of QB's who put up 300 yards on 23 attempts. With 16 completions he was 68% accurate with his throws. If he was 16 for 43 then complain but guys, when the coaches call an ultra conservative game plan and the QB executes what he's asked to do..... the problem isn't the QB, its the game plan.

I was one of the people praying for a QB controversy in Ninerland. Hill has won some games. Most against sub 500 teams and in the last few weeks of a season when teams put players in for evaluation. He was not ever going to be the future of the 49ers and those who think otherwise are playing ostrich. Further, Hill's athletic limitations compromised our ability to establisht he ground game. Can you say 8 or 9 in the box on every snap? Witht he exception of 2 long runs where Gore beat the 8 man front the running game was producing less than 3 yards a carry. Why? because Hill didn't command the respect of the defense enough to make them play honest.

I don;t know if Smith is ever going to be a quality NFL QB. Personally after 4 years of stupidity (also known as the Nolan years) and 2 years off with a bum shoulder I'm pretty interested to see what we've got. And if he can't do it..... throw the next guy in there! We as a team HAVE to evaluate the talent we have in the QB decision in order to decide what to do with next years draft picks. Otherwise it will be another 2 year rebuilding project if the current talent fails.

Like it or not this is the best thing for this team. Hill is a great guy, has got some wins but will never be in the top echelon of QBs in the NFL. Why not give a chance to the guys who still might have that potential?

I doubt that. Hill was pulled at half time. If Hill was pulled during the bye week, there might be more merit to this theory.

-9fA

He was handed the starting job because he was the safe bet. Alex just didn't play well enough in Preseason to take the job. Translation: "We wanted to Start Smith but we knew that we would have been lynched by the ponHillicators." So be honest, Hill didn't win ANYTHING. He was given the Job based on last season with a different Coordinator.

Quote:

Shaun didn't do anything wrong. They knew from the beginning that he was only a Backup NOT a Starter. There is nothing wrong with being a backup. Look at Matt Cassel right now. The guy played well in New England filling in for Brady. Now how is he doing in KC? Some guys were meant to be Backups. Hill was NEVER the clear #1. Alex's last rating was 79.5. Shaun Hill's rating when benched? 79.6.

The difference being that Alex moves the Offense and Shaun only does it in the 4th quarter.

On top of this we REALLY ought to know what we have in Smith before we part with him. But I guess that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by danimal:
he failed to fool ALOT of idiots and get himself somehow talked about as a viable 1st pick candidate.

thats what he did wrong.

All Alex has is Utah......and complete morons are riding that until the wheels fall off.

Kind of like Delhomme and that great Super Bowl performance.....he has been pimping that illusion forever

Hill got benched with a 77.6 passer rating, Alex gets a vote of confidence with a 77.5 WTF, they both suck, the only thing Smith has over Hill is that he is still learning and MIGHT improve, while Hill is what is Hill is and will pretty much be what he is.

Three things

1) Get a real NFL QB (Alex might be one)
2) Get one good Guard
3) Fire Gregg Forester
That would make this offense a good NFL offense!
While I'm at it
We are one great Safety and a half way decent pass rusher away from a dominating Defense!

2 guards and a tackle

Yeah to totally dominate with the best line in the NFL! I think we are one good guard and some coaching away from being good, and competitive!

So, does this mean that management is calling the shots then? On issues of who starts and who doesn't?

That's pretty ballsy. I'm surprised that Singletary would agree to such a setup. Can you imagine John McVay or Eddie D. telling Bill Walsh who to start and who to bench?

I can imagine imagine Bill's two word response -- starting with the letters of "F" and "Y."

Interesting observation sus. I didn't know that.
You saw it with the Titans when Bud Adams told Fisher to start Vince Young. I think it happens.