LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

What do we do w/ Sims when Staley gets back?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Steve:
Remember when everyone was complaining about Sims at RT. He sucked. Allowed sacks at the worst possible times. Seems to be doing pretty good a LT. Leave Sims on the left side at put Staley at RT when he comes back from injury. Don't know what Sims age is, but probably need to be looking for another tackle in the draft.

well Sims is in his 11th or 12th season, so hes probably early to mid 30's
Now that Staley is ready to return and Sims has been playing decent at LT, would it be wise to move Staley back to RT for the rest of the season just to get Snyder out of there? Should we mess with the lineup for the AZ game? Thoughts?
Originally posted by vermonator:
If Sims continues to do well at LT I'd leave him there and then put Staley at RT when he's healthy. Staley might have to move back to RT anyway if we sign a better player in the off-season.

Pretty much this. Staley is our best tackle. Sims at RT is awful. Sims at LT is pretty good.

Problem solved, at least for this year.
I don't think it's a wise move to take Staley back to RT. IIRC, didn't Staley struggle at times at RT in his rookie year?

Maybe Sims will change his mind about playing RT. Maybe he just needs an offseason to adjust?

Either way, we should re-sign Sims.

-9fA
Some good points in this thread. Looking forward I think we need to look at drafting another LT with one of our first rounders next year and moving Staley to RT. For now Staley is our best bet at LT when he gets healthy.
Did anyone notice our OL started playing better when Sims was in the game in the 2nd half?
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Did anyone notice our OL started playing better when Sims was in the game in the 2nd half?

yeah, I did. i also said that last week when staley was in! But I don't think staley was getting beat, but it could be something indirectly, like they pass rush goes away from staley?
Sims did a terrific job subbing for Staley...but, he's not the future at the position. He's worth re-signing, but it could become a numbers game if they draft a top OT, which they need to do. Not sure if they'll try to re-sign Pashos, but he'd be the better RT of the two, for sure. Too bad he got hurt...I think he could've solidified the position.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I don't think it's a wise move to take Staley back to RT. IIRC, didn't Staley struggle at times at RT in his rookie year?

Maybe Sims will change his mind about playing RT. Maybe he just needs an offseason to adjust?

Either way, we should re-sign Sims.

-9fA

I think one reason Staley had trouble at RT was the coaching at the time. He said once the OL coach and Nolan were dismissed, he went back to his college technique that was more aggressive.

I too hope the Niners get an OT that is good enough to move Staley to RT next year. That would improve two positions IMO. Sims would be even more valuable backing up if the starter is a rookie. Both he and Staley could tutor him.
At worst, he's a serviceable backup and we need quality depth and better starters in the worst of was. I see no reason not to re-sign Sims. And he really has looked better as a LT than I would've ever thought. Let's see how offseason and the draft goes before we talk about Staley moving to RT. But Sims definitely looks best in the LT role.

Share 49ersWebzone