Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jimmy Raye and Alex Smith

Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I don't know if you pride yourself as someone who knows anything about football but after reading several post and leaving suggestions on reviewing certain things(which you clearly haven't don't, especially regarding our Protection) but in this post, it is both ignorant and stupid. You claim "Alex Smith went into a shell after the INT" please review the film and look at our run to pass ratio and tell me how Alex Smith and not our playcaller went into a shell. FYI, the first drive went well bc it wasn't called at the game it was scripted to show what the defense gives you in certain situation. That first drive they showed that the shotgun both runs and intermediate routes would be there yet did we call those plays? No, we loved the I and short passes on 3rd down. Going Run run pass(count how many drives we did that after the INT) is not a QB going into a shell, it is an OC playing not to lose, not trying to win. Not to mention, I once again reviewed how many times we gave Alex Smith the NFL standard of 5 seconds of protection to go through his progressions properly, so why don't you do the same before you say "he needs to get rid of the ball sooner" that is just a beyond stupid comment when your QB doesn't have anytime to go through any progressions. In fact look and see how many times we gave up pressure in under 2 seconds! Seriously, if you want to make analysis's don't make them off feelings and opinions, go back watch the game, get some stats(I.E run to pass ratio before the INT when the O looked solid, and after the INT when it looked putrid, also look at protection time) I will give you a clue it was worse than last week when we provided "acceptable protection" of 5 seconds 13% of the time. Go check it out and then make analysis bc right now your defense of Jimmy Raye is laughable and just based on feelings/opnions instead of what really happened. Get real.

Obviously, you do pride yourself as one who knows something about football; but you fall short of that goal here...

Who gets a "standard 5 seconds of protection"? This is just dumb...

As for the Play calls pre and post interception look at how well they fared to see whats up. Pre INT we were getting an average of 5.5 yards per pass attempt. Post interception we were getting 3 yards per attempt and Alex's completion % dropped as well. Hell, he only completed one pass that went over 5 yards after that pick (a 20 yard play to Crabs).

Did you count how many time's we tried to have Alex convert a 3rd down with his arm after the INT? 6. Six times he tried and 5 times he failed. Were not just talking 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 15, we're talking 3rd and 5. Hell, he even failed to make a 3rd and 3... By comparison, he was 60% on 3rd down conversions before the INT (3 out of 5)...

If I had a QB who's play dropped off (less yards per attempt, lower completion %, and could not convert 3rd downs) I'd change my play calling to more run as well...

Fact is that Alex didn't help us win at all this game.

1. If you don't know that every O-line coach expects his line to give the QB 5 seconds(that is not just a made up number, that is what teams shoot for, and is even less what our O-line coach expects to get in college,which would be 6)

2. Look at the pass plays called in the after the INT and in a 3rd/5 ot 3rd/7, the defense knows what is coming, they know what to stop, you didn't answer how many times we went run, run pass, or run, run run. A lack of creative playcalling helps no one, not Gore and not A. Smith, not Gore not the O-line. Im am not sayin by anymeans that A. Smith played good, bc he didn't, but I think he played..ok, and Raye was a much bigger problem, as a coach, I have a big problem with what he did and it nearly cost us the game.

Look, I'm not going to do your homework for you... If you want to count plays, be my guest; but, don't be lazy and expect others to do it for you.

Also, I don't care if you consider yourself a coach or not; but, since you do, are you saying you wouldn't change the game calls because your QB has lost his confidence in the middle of the game and is only taking the dump-off passes? Maybe this is why you don't coach in the pro's...

As for you "standard 5 seconds", you never answered the question. Who gets a standard 5 seconds? You made a statement and have been called on it. Make with the facts or admit you were talking out your ass...

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers (which is quite ironic bc he leads the leagues in sacks bc he holds onto the ball forever) Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Kyle Orton(except last week, where he was constantly under pressure). Most of the QB's and several others, get the standard 5 seconds on most throws, there is your answer.

you must not watch a lot of football... The standard is definitely not 5 seconds, nor do any of those QB's average 5 seconds per pass attempt. I bet their average is better than ours, say may 3-3.5 seconds, wehre we probably average less than 3 seconds.

This is Alex's year to put up or shutup, no excuses whatsoever. I am not willing to give him another season if he gets hurt or does not show anything good in the next seven games. "flashes" of greatness mean nothing if you can't do it on a consistent basis...
Originally posted by SJniner7:
you must not watch a lot of football... The standard is definitely not 5 seconds, nor do any of those QB's average 5 seconds per pass attempt. I bet their average is better than ours, say may 3-3.5 seconds, wehre we probably average less than 3 seconds.

This is Alex's year to put up or shutup, no excuses whatsoever. I am not willing to give him another season if he gets hurt or does not show anything good in the next seven games. "flashes" of greatness mean nothing if you can't do it on a consistent basis...

nvchamp could have worded what he said better. What he is trying to say is that the norm around the league for any offensive line is to provide the QB with 5 sec to make a read and deliver the football.

Our line almost always fails to do this. And yes, I have seen offensive lines that have been able to give their QBs 5 seconds to throw - look at Dallas. Sure, their line doesn't provide 5 secs on every play but they do a whole so a lot more often than we do...

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 13, 2009 at 16:42:35 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I don't know if you pride yourself as someone who knows anything about football but after reading several post and leaving suggestions on reviewing certain things(which you clearly haven't don't, especially regarding our Protection) but in this post, it is both ignorant and stupid. You claim "Alex Smith went into a shell after the INT" please review the film and look at our run to pass ratio and tell me how Alex Smith and not our playcaller went into a shell. FYI, the first drive went well bc it wasn't called at the game it was scripted to show what the defense gives you in certain situation. That first drive they showed that the shotgun both runs and intermediate routes would be there yet did we call those plays? No, we loved the I and short passes on 3rd down. Going Run run pass(count how many drives we did that after the INT) is not a QB going into a shell, it is an OC playing not to lose, not trying to win. Not to mention, I once again reviewed how many times we gave Alex Smith the NFL standard of 5 seconds of protection to go through his progressions properly, so why don't you do the same before you say "he needs to get rid of the ball sooner" that is just a beyond stupid comment when your QB doesn't have anytime to go through any progressions. In fact look and see how many times we gave up pressure in under 2 seconds! Seriously, if you want to make analysis's don't make them off feelings and opinions, go back watch the game, get some stats(I.E run to pass ratio before the INT when the O looked solid, and after the INT when it looked putrid, also look at protection time) I will give you a clue it was worse than last week when we provided "acceptable protection" of 5 seconds 13% of the time. Go check it out and then make analysis bc right now your defense of Jimmy Raye is laughable and just based on feelings/opnions instead of what really happened. Get real.

Obviously, you do pride yourself as one who knows something about football; but you fall short of that goal here...

Who gets a "standard 5 seconds of protection"? This is just dumb...

As for the Play calls pre and post interception look at how well they fared to see whats up. Pre INT we were getting an average of 5.5 yards per pass attempt. Post interception we were getting 3 yards per attempt and Alex's completion % dropped as well. Hell, he only completed one pass that went over 5 yards after that pick (a 20 yard play to Crabs).

Did you count how many time's we tried to have Alex convert a 3rd down with his arm after the INT? 6. Six times he tried and 5 times he failed. Were not just talking 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 15, we're talking 3rd and 5. Hell, he even failed to make a 3rd and 3... By comparison, he was 60% on 3rd down conversions before the INT (3 out of 5)...

If I had a QB who's play dropped off (less yards per attempt, lower completion %, and could not convert 3rd downs) I'd change my play calling to more run as well...

Fact is that Alex didn't help us win at all this game.

1. If you don't know that every O-line coach expects his line to give the QB 5 seconds(that is not just a made up number, that is what teams shoot for, and is even less what our O-line coach expects to get in college,which would be 6)

2. Look at the pass plays called in the after the INT and in a 3rd/5 ot 3rd/7, the defense knows what is coming, they know what to stop, you didn't answer how many times we went run, run pass, or run, run run. A lack of creative playcalling helps no one, not Gore and not A. Smith, not Gore not the O-line. Im am not sayin by anymeans that A. Smith played good, bc he didn't, but I think he played..ok, and Raye was a much bigger problem, as a coach, I have a big problem with what he did and it nearly cost us the game.

Look, I'm not going to do your homework for you... If you want to count plays, be my guest; but, don't be lazy and expect others to do it for you.

Also, I don't care if you consider yourself a coach or not; but, since you do, are you saying you wouldn't change the game calls because your QB has lost his confidence in the middle of the game and is only taking the dump-off passes? Maybe this is why you don't coach in the pro's...

As for you "standard 5 seconds", you never answered the question. Who gets a standard 5 seconds? You made a statement and have been called on it. Make with the facts or admit you were talking out your ass...

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers (which is quite ironic bc he leads the leagues in sacks bc he holds onto the ball forever) Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Kyle Orton(except last week, where he was constantly under pressure). Most of the QB's and several others, get the standard 5 seconds on most throws, there is your answer.

Good post I agree. For me, its playoffs or BUST, 7-9 or 8-8 won't cut it, tired of getting my hopes up for something that's not there.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home