There are 165 users in the forums

Jimmy Raye protecting Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, it's pretty common on here to claim the team has no confidence in Alex Smith, and that is why they didn't throw the ball last night late in the game.

Here is another view to consider: Raye didn't put Smith in the position where he might commit a turnover that could lose the game because Raye and Singletary want to build up Alex's confidence.

They didn't want to risk a turnover and a resultant loss, as they were afraid of what it would do to the already damaged psyche of Alex Smith. How many times has Singletary said he doesn't want to put Smith in that position? Singletary no doubt feels Smith was mishandled by Nolan, and he is trying to do everything in his power to correct this.

Jimmy Raye has said Alex Smith had NO confidence at the beginning of this season. He and Singletary are trying to build Smith up for the future, and they don't want to risk that now. Sure, they don't trust Smith yet -- they don't trust Smith to recover if he throws a pick (or several) that cost us the game. They know that without confidence there is no hope for Smith. Without a functioning Smith, there is no hope for this season (or next).
I agree with this somewhat...

and it doesnt help that whenever they do let Smith throw a deep one, he throws a pick.

I thought that pick last night Smith threw was totally on him.
I think you're onto something here. If you think about it, Raye didn't give the keys to Smith for the "Spread" offense until last week vs. the Titans because they were last in pass defense. What happened? Unfortunately, Raye called a passing game and Smith threw 3 picks.

Last night he called the plays the way he did becuase he didn't want another turn over.

Look, I really don't like Raye, but he knows the players better than all of us on this board. BELIEVE IT. Would I still keep him? Hell no. I want him out, but I'll give credit where it's due
Good post!
I agree! but also i'm sure there are some passes they can give to Alex which also builds up his confidence. Like screens, passes into flats and some playaction stuff. But overall i think they are building up Alex's confidence.
Well I mean they opened up with a nice gameplan and were aggressive and were even aggressive after Alex Smith threw the INT, but after that IMO, is where Alex struggled, holding on to the ball to long and making some bad throws.

Fact is we won the game, our D had a chance to end it way before the Bears got it down to the red zone. I can't really blame Raye and Sing for not really wanting to put the game in Alex's hands when he has thrown 4 INT's in the last two games and with a shaky O-Line.

I do like how they ran the ball out of the shotgun, we may have found something with that.
Notice after that Smith pick, all the pass plays that followed were safer horizontal plays.
Originally posted by wwrivers:
Ok, it's pretty common on here to claim the team has no confidence in Alex Smith, and that is why they didn't throw the ball last night late in the game.

Here is another view to consider: Raye didn't put Smith in the position where he might commit a turnover that could lose the game because Raye and Singletary want to build up Alex's confidence.

They didn't want to risk a turnover and a resultant loss, as they were afraid of what it would do to the already damaged psyche of Alex Smith. How many times has Singletary said he doesn't want to put Smith in that position? Singletary no doubt feels Smith was mishandled by Nolan, and he is trying to do everything in his power to correct this.

Jimmy Raye has said Alex Smith had NO confidence at the beginning of this season. He and Singletary are trying to build Smith up for the future, and they don't want to risk that now. Sure, they don't trust Smith yet -- they don't trust Smith to recover if he throws a pick (or several) that cost us the game. They know that without confidence there is no hope for Smith. Without a functioning Smith, there is no hope for this season (or next).

I agree -- I think Smith is still being developed.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by wwrivers:

I agree -- I think Smith is still being developed.

There is no doubt about it that they are trying to build him back up as a starter in a methodical way. This is a page out of Norv Turner's book from the 2006 season, who was the only coach up until now that was wise enough to have a good development plan for him.
I disagree respectfully. I say let him take his shots with the lead and build confidence that way. You don't MAKE a young QB take his shots when the game is on the line. I understand your point of view but I think, just like overprotective parents, they're hurting him more than they're helping him.

Let him go when we have the lead.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
I disagree respectfully. I say let him take his shots with the lead and build confidence that way. You don't MAKE a young QB take his shots when the game is on the line. I understand your point of view but I think, just like overprotective parents, they're hurting him more than they're helping him.

I don't think he is good enough to allow that. This team isn't good enough to recover from turnovers late in the game in most games they will play, and turnovers will happen with that mindset, no doubt about it.

Agree. They are gonna have to be more aggressive or the defense will be sitting on all the short safe routes to build him up.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Your wrong on this one. Normally I agree with being aggressive and taking shots down field. But in the game last night it was best to take the conservative approach. Winning the game is the most important thing to do, the defense was holding the bears and getting turnovers. Alex looked very shaky, and the Oline was not blocking well.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Your wrong on this one. Normally I agree with being aggressive and taking shots down field. But in the game last night it was best to take the conservative approach. Winning the game is the most important thing to do, the defense was holding the bears and getting turnovers. Alex looked very shaky, and the Oline was not blocking well.

Maybe, but I have a big issue with the way our defense played that final drive. We basically gave the game away. We play hard for 59 minutes and keep them from scoring a TD, now suddenly we have to go play a prevent defense and allow them to march down the field? Horrible. If this is going to be our strategy in close games, we'll be lucky to finish 8-8.

I don't mind conservative from time to time, but that was way too conservative. Why not continue to attack the offense? It was working all game long. If we try that junk in Green Bay, Rodgers is going to pick us apart and end our season.

Do you disagree that Raye is protecting Alex or with how Ray is protecting Alex? I do think they (Raye and Singletary) are trying to develop Smith, and part of that is protecting him from mistakes that will hurt his confidence. Are they doing this the right way? Hard to say. I hope they know what they are dong.
The pick was not Smith's fault he didn't force into double coverage he put it up in a 1 on 1 situation giving his receiver a easy chance go to up and attack the ball. Cratbree didn't slow down and adjust he just kept running and fell, the fault is on him. Watch Colston for the Saints he might not be the fastest guy but he sure knows how to slow down and JUMP AT THE POINT OF ATTACK to catch the ball over the defender. Plus Alex threw the ball up to the inside so Crabtree had inside leverage, he did not adjust he did not slow down he fell its on him.
Share 49ersWebzone