There are 143 users in the forums

We have No killer instinct

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
I disagree with no killer instinct...What about the 4th and 1 in the 4thQ where we tried to QB sneak (bad call) but we were trying to put the dagger in the heart. The problem that keep rearing its head again and again IS NO OFFENSIVE LINE...If we get the 1 yard we can get a FG at worst and sustain the drive...Our RT is a guard, and our RG isnt playing at the same level he finished left season. We can only do so much with the pieces we have on the OL.

IT ALL STARTS AND ENDS WITH THE OL PLAY PERIOD

When ever your QB throws for only 118 yds, that is a lack of killer instinct on the offense. All of these super short throws is what is killing us. Other teams have a 3rd and 15 and they go for the first. We have 3rd and 15 and we run a draw. Thats not the oline thats our lack of killer instinct.

why is everyone saying this today?

on third and long they called a pass play the WR downfield were never open

why can't people understand this?

Its true thats why. We are the worst team in the NFL at converting 3rd downs for a reason.
I disagree with no killer instinct...What about the 4th and 1 in the 4thQ where we tried to QB sneak (bad call) but we were trying to put the dagger in the heart. The problem that keep rearing its head again and again IS NO OFFENSIVE LINE...If we get the 1 yard we can get a FG at worst and sustain the drive...Our RT is a guard, and our RG isnt playing at the same level he finished left season. We can only do so much with the pieces we have on the OL.

When ever your QB throws for only 118 yds, that is a lack of killer instinct on the offense. All of these super short throws is what is killing us. Other teams have a 3rd and 15 and they go for the first. We have 3rd and 15 and we run a draw. Thats not the oline thats our lack of killer instinct.

Yeah we cant throw it down the field because that means 5 or 7 step drops on the QB...DO you really think Alex has that time? I'm sorry but the film doesn't show that Alex has consistent protection by the OL...Half the time Alex is scrambling in the pocket running for his life...

What the long shot down the field to Crabs, which Alex barely got off before being hit also showed that we dont have the speed at WR to stretch the defense...You have to work with the pieces you have, plus its the fifth offensive coordinator in as many years so lets see how we do in the second half of season and next year from Raye.
thats because we have no killers
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Its true thats why. We are the worst team in the NFL at converting 3rd downs for a reason.

1st drive
3-7-CHI 14 (8:23) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith sacked at CHI 21 for -7 yards (91-T.Harris).

2nd drive
3-6-SF 30 (4:18) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 89-J.Hill to SF 35 for 5 yards (33-C.Tillman). Caught at SF 31.

3rd drive
3-7-SF 14 (8:00) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 21-F.Gore to SF 23 for 9 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer). Caught at SF 12.
3-6-SF 37 (4:45) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 84-J.Morgan to SF 46 for 9 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer; 55-L.Briggs). Caught at SF 44.

4th drive
3-10-SF 20 (13:37) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 15-M.Crabtree to SF 25 for 5 yards (55-L.Briggs). Caught at SF 19.

5th drive
3-12-SF 43 (10:09) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle intended for 85-V.Davis INTERCEPTED by 55-L.Briggs (71-I.Idonije) at SF 48. 55-L.Briggs to SF 38 for 10 yards (68-A.Snyder). PENALTY on CHI-93-A.Ogunleye, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SF 43 - No Play.
3-7-SF 48 (10:01) (Shotgun) 21-F.Gore up the middle to CHI 46 for 6 yards (31-N.Vasher). Measurement confirms fourth down

6th drive
3-13-SF 48 (4:55) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 85-V.Davis to CHI 47 for 5 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer; 91-T.Harris). Penalty on SF-68-A.Snyder, Ineligible Downfield Pass, declined. Caught at SF 47.

7th drive
3-8-CHI 36 (3:01) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith scrambles up the middle to CHI 34 for 2 yards (93-A.Ogunleye).

All the 3rd and long plays of the game only one was a called run

Yeah we cant throw it down the field because that means 5 or 7 step drops on the QB...DO you really think Alex has that time? I'm sorry but the film doesn't show that Alex has consistent protection by the OL...Half the time Alex is scrambling in the pocket running for his life...

What the long shot down the field to Crabs, which Alex barely got off before being hit also showed that we dont have the speed at WR to stretch the defense...You have to work with the pieces you have, plus its the fifth offensive coordinator in as many years so lets see how we do in the second half of season and next year from Raye.

We dont need to take qb drops. We can throw from the shotgun. That also allows Alex to keep his vision down field and see where the rush is coming from.
Thanks 9erfan for the data...Shows we're trying to be aggressive just coming up short...

We dont need to take qb drops. We can throw from the shotgun. That also allows Alex to keep his vision down field and see where the rush is coming from.

We can't protect him well in the shotgun too so its really a moot point until we get an OL and WRs that can seperate and catch the ball(sans Crabtree).

1st drive
3-7-CHI 14 (8:23) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith sacked at CHI 21 for -7 yards (91-T.Harris).

2nd drive
3-6-SF 30 (4:18) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 89-J.Hill to SF 35 for 5 yards (33-C.Tillman). Caught at SF 31.

3rd drive
3-7-SF 14 (8:00) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 21-F.Gore to SF 23 for 9 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer). Caught at SF 12.
3-6-SF 37 (4:45) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 84-J.Morgan to SF 46 for 9 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer; 55-L.Briggs). Caught at SF 44.

4th drive
3-10-SF 20 (13:37) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 15-M.Crabtree to SF 25 for 5 yards (55-L.Briggs). Caught at SF 19.

5th drive
3-12-SF 43 (10:09) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle intended for 85-V.Davis INTERCEPTED by 55-L.Briggs (71-I.Idonije) at SF 48. 55-L.Briggs to SF 38 for 10 yards (68-A.Snyder). PENALTY on CHI-93-A.Ogunleye, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SF 43 - No Play.
3-7-SF 48 (10:01) (Shotgun) 21-F.Gore up the middle to CHI 46 for 6 yards (31-N.Vasher). Measurement confirms fourth down

6th drive
3-13-SF 48 (4:55) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 85-V.Davis to CHI 47 for 5 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer; 91-T.Harris). Penalty on SF-68-A.Snyder, Ineligible Downfield Pass, declined. Caught at SF 47.

7th drive
3-8-CHI 36 (3:01) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith scrambles up the middle to CHI 34 for 2 yards (93-A.Ogunleye).

All the 3rd and long plays of the game only one was a called run

Maybe you missed what I wrote the first tme. I bolded it for you.
The Bears played alot of single deep safety in the middle. Why not send 2 wrs deep and force the safety to shade over to one side with a pump fake. Then throw to the other side with no safety help. I am no offensive genius but this is elementary.

The Smith Interception was against a Cover 3. The Bears rarely play a cover 1. It's was broken down that the Bears play mostly Cover 2 with the occasional Cover 3.

Throwing deep against a Cover 3 is a no no.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
The Bears played alot of single deep safety in the middle. Why not send 2 wrs deep and force the safety to shade over to one side with a pump fake. Then throw to the other side with no safety help. I am no offensive genius but this is elementary.

The Smith Interception was against a Cover 3. The Bears rarely play a cover 1. It's was broken down that the Bears play mostly Cover 2 with the occasional Cover 3.

Actually Millen said the bears didnt play the cover 2 as much anymore. I know thats Lovies baby but they dont play it like they used to.

Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Actually Millen said the bears didnt play the cover 2 as much anymore. I know thats Lovies baby but they dont play it like they used to.

That's correct. They can't play the Cover 2 anymore because you need a speedy MLB who can go back and play the middle zone. Since Urlacher is gone, they've had to adjust to their limited personnel.
  • kansas49erfan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Two reasons:

1.) Our line can't create a pocket long enough to let deep routes develop
2.) Our WRs don't have the speed to gain the necessary downfield separation

Well it only takes about 4.5 seconds to run 40 yds. And the ball would be in the air for about 1.5 - 2 seconds. That means you let it fly at 3 seconds. We dont have a very good line but we have been getting 3 sec. Those are just excuses, not reasons.

It takes 4.5 seconds to go 40 yards with shorts on in a straight line without a defender in front of you.
Share 49ersWebzone