LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

From "Craps" to "Crabs"...eating crow...mmm.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yup, i was hacked off at Crabtree when he single handedly killed my Longhorns chances for the BCS championship last yr. And i thot he beat a team with a great
front 7 on D, with a very suspect 4 DBs. Hence, i was not very high on him. Then came the draft, we desperately needed 2 starting O linemen, Oher was there, and we take...Crabs. I was angry, frustrated, p.o.ed, the whole enchilada. Also i am not a fan of BPA, and the Crabs selection proved my point. Then the hold out, and i went from disappointed to angry to really mad. We had really screwed up, the OL was getting our QBs killed, and looked worse every week.

Then Crabtree signs, stays out 3 weeks, learns a few plays, and altho i wanted to pull for him, couldn't because he had screwed our team so badly(not to mention the Horns). Then we got a glimpse of a WR in progress, a couple games, and he actually caught passes. Matter of fact, he ran good routes, got open just enough, and caught anything he could reach. Then last nite, first play. That kid got 3 maybe 4 feet in the air, extended his long arms and big hands maybe 10, 12 feet in the air to make a circus catch. Yeah, he came down out of bounds (maybe), but it was a heckuva play.

After that, i decided he could no longer be "Craps" but had earned the name "Crabs". Also he WAS a steal at #10, but that doesn't take away from the fact, that we desperately needed 2 OL starters. Anyway, the crow tastes bitter, but i deserve it. Crabs is for real...and i am glad we got him, despite what i have posted previously. It is nice to finally be able to pull for the kid. He is something special.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, i was hacked off at Crabtree when he single handedly killed my Longhorns chances for the BCS championship last yr. And i thot he beat a team with a great
front 7 on D, with a very suspect 4 DBs. Hence, i was not very high on him. Then came the draft, we desperately needed 2 starting O linemen, Oher was there, and we take...Crabs. I was angry, frustrated, p.o.ed, the whole enchilada. Also i am not a fan of BPA, and the Crabs selection proved my point. Then the hold out, and i went from disappointed to angry to really mad. We had really screwed up, the OL was getting our QBs killed, and looked worse every week.

Then Crabtree signs, stays out 3 weeks, learns a few plays, and altho i wanted to pull for him, couldn't because he had screwed our team so badly(not to mention the Horns). Then we got a glimpse of a WR in progress, a couple games, and he actually caught passes. Matter of fact, he ran good routes, got open just enough, and caught anything he could reach. Then last nite, first play. That kid got 3 maybe 4 feet in the air, extended his long arms and big hands maybe 10, 12 feet in the air to make a circus catch. Yeah, he came down out of bounds (maybe), but it was a heckuva play.

After that, i decided he could no longer be "Craps" but had earned the name "Crabs". Also he WAS a steal at #10, but that doesn't take away from the fact, that we desperately needed 2 OL starters. Anyway, the crow tastes bitter, but i deserve it. Crabs is for real...and i am glad we got him, despite what i have posted previously. It is nice to finally be able to pull for the kid. He is something special.

It IS nice to see a 1st round WR having an immediate impact for us. Washes away the memories of Woods very nicely.

I was also a proponent of selecting a good OT.
But, we went with with Crabtree.
Which I understand, it was also an area of need.
He'll start looking a lot better when the QB play improves.

I'd also like to add that I've been surprised at how well the OL has played this year. I thought they were going to be much worse in pass protection.

The OL player that I'm most disappointed with has been Chilo Rachal, not one of the Tackles.
Seems to me like he's struggling this year.
He's definitely making 9ers fans smile. Still has wayz to go, but man he looks good. I like the "firery" attitude too...need that, especially with this offense. Wonder what Raider fans think!!! LOL!!!!
What is really interesting, and great for us, is that CRabs is playing at a Jerry Rice level, (after his first year and part of yr 2). Remember, all that talent, all that grace, and the dang kid couldn't catch the darn ball. Walsh stayed with him tho, and the rest was history. Point here is that Crabs catches anything he can touch, he goes across the middle, he runs good routes, and can he ever go high. Unlike Jerry, his first yr, heck, his first few games, it is apparent that the kid is a possession WR. Better yet, as #85 became a better receiver, he now draws double coverage...but that leaves Crabs singled. Won't be long until Crabs draws the double, and then...well, #85 will be singled. Finally, we have a qBs (and coach's dream)... two guys who both need to be doubled, and once that happens, look out for #21.

Man, with the unexpected immediate ability of Crabs, we are finally getting to a point where there is lite at the end of the tunnel. Now if the OL can just block well enough to keep Alex from getting killed or maimed, and FRank from getting his career ended by a phantom block of Baas. We got everything we need...finally...except for the OL. Jeez, i hope they get better coaching...and soon.
What is really interesting, and great for us, is that CRabs is playing at a Jerry Rice level, (after his first year and part of yr 2). Remember, all that talent, all that grace, and the dang kid couldn't catch the darn ball. Walsh stayed with him tho, and the rest was history. Point here is that Crabs catches anything he can touch, he goes across the middle, he runs good routes, and can he ever go high. Unlike Jerry, his first yr, heck, his first few games, it is apparent that the kid is a possession WR. Better yet, as #85 became a better receiver, he now draws double coverage...but that leaves Crabs singled. Won't be long until Crabs draws the double, and then...well, #85 will be singled. Finally, we have a qBs (and coach's dream)... two guys who both need to be doubled, and once that happens, look out for #21.

Man, with the unexpected immediate ability of Crabs, we are finally getting to a point where there is lite at the end of the tunnel. Now if the OL can just block well enough to keep Alex from getting killed or maimed, and FRank from getting his career ended by a phantom block of Baas. We got everything we need...finally...except for the OL. Jeez, i hope they get better coaching...and soon.

I was amazed by that one handed catch and the fact that he drag both his feet inbounds..it was at the end when the ball came out that's why they called in incomplete. nonetheless it was a great catch
Yeah, Birdman, that catch was sensational, but the really great thing about Crabs is that he does the routine stuff too, over the middle, 3rd and 4yds, slants, outs...he does it all. Some have commented on him not going long, but that circus catch, while not a completion, man , it really showed what kind of talent , effort and concentration that kid has. For someone who wasn't a believer, he truly is something special.
Make sure you eat all your veggies too.
Yeah, Birdman, that catch was sensational, but the really great thing about Crabs is that he does the routine stuff too, over the middle, 3rd and 4yds, slants, outs...he does it all. Some have commented on him not going long, but that circus catch, while not a completion, man , it really showed what kind of talent , effort and concentration that kid has. For someone who wasn't a believer, he truly is something special.

Another thing that impresses is his willingness to block. They showed a replay of a particular run play and Crabs and the CB were going at it.
I could tell Crabs was something special the way he attacked the ball in air in man coverage against Houston...NONE of our current WRs has that ability or has shown it on the field...Last night against Tillman in man coverage to ONE-HAND the catch in mid-air, pull it in, and secure for the fall was amazing...IF we could have maintained possession after the roll on the ground it might have been a catch, his two feet were in-bounds...But yes we are still missing that RT and mauling right and left guards...Not sure Baas and Rachal are the answer...-NW

yeah, redngold, i saw that too, and forgot to mention it. A ballhawk with great hands, runs good routes, possession wR, who blocks. Zowie!

Oh, and Madmartz, i am eating my veggies with it.

[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:36:54 ]
Crabs did screw up on that INT though. He over ran the route and then fell down. He needs to do a better job of tracking the ball in the air.
Like they mentioned last nite, madmartz, once you get outside the hash marks, it is slick. You can't cut, come back, or any other move once you are out there. Local knowledge, but i bet Crabs learned something from that.
Here's a prediction: once Crabs starts getting doubled, watch #85 get hot. Then the decision to double both which almost never happens, but also this should get some more completions to Morgan as well as jhill. Even with really crappy O line play
( Peyton's O line has not been stellar this yr), with 2 legitimate receivers, vernon and crabs, our O just has to get better when opponents have to account for #85, crabs, frank, and morgan & Hill. We are going to have to beat opponents with guile, because at present, we have awful OL play, so we need to outcoach/ out-think them. Beating the Bears is one thing, beating AZ in Az is another... plus GB, plus Eagles. Against GB, at least their OL is poor. We will find out shortly.

Niners desparately needed a playmaking (so did the Raiders) receiver. I think they got one. Thank goodness for the two firsts next year. Nice move by Scott M. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both used on offensive linemen.

[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 13, 2009 at 14:12:00 ]
Share 49ersWebzone