There are 221 users in the forums

How Was Our Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
they sucked
  • B650
  • Veteran
I'm glad we won. The defense played great up until that final drive, but that wasn't their fault. How long is it going to take to realize that when we play prevent, bad things happen? Our philosophy needs to change because we're going to be playing in a lot of close games. We need to be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.
You can't really blame the secondary for the 300 yards Cutler put up. We got burned on screens to Matt Forte just like we did when we played Arizona and Tim Hightower. I believe Forte had over 100 yards receiving from those damn screens that we can't seem to stop.
How did Brooks and Briggs play?

How did Sopoaga play?
what im wondering is how michael lewis is doing. when i saw him on the field on his hands and knees, i thought he got another concussion and was never going to play again
Lawson looked like he was around the ball quite a bit and putting pressure on the QB. I thought he did well.
One word:

MOTIVATED
manny lawson gives up too often. On the last play last night, he went in for the pass rush. When he was stopped, he just kindda stood there for a second. Then when he saw cutler running up the middle, he started running again. A pass rusher should NEVER stop moving. I'd of rather seen Brooks in there giving it a go towards the end of the game. Fresh legs.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
manny lawson gives up too often. On the last play last night, he went in for the pass rush. When he was stopped, he just kindda stood there for a second. Then when he saw cutler running up the middle, he started running again. A pass rusher should NEVER stop moving. I'd of rather seen Brooks in there giving it a go towards the end of the game. Fresh legs.

I thought it was just me that noticed that. It seems that once he is engaged he stands straight up and doesn't drive his feet to the ball carrier anymore. NJot to mention he should have had an easy sack and just jumped in the air and then cutler got the ball off.

Overall I must say this defense is pretty solid considering the fact that they have no pass rusher at all. The 1st half i'm not even sure Cutler was touched. Manny and Parys are a major fail at this part of there games.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

he stopped cause Cutler looked his way and gave a half hearted pump fake. To which Manny jumped to try and bat it down. Looking t the play live me and myu buddy screamed WTF? but after the replay you could see what happened.

didn't allow a td? we'll yeah but chicago drove all over us. we can't hand;le the screens or the dumps. olsen was open all day. cutler was more than responsible for more than 1 to 2 picks like one of the bloggers said try 4-5. no pass rush. yes we stopped the run for the most part except on 3RD DOWNS!! Our 3rd down Defense was horrid. michael lewis needs to hang it up. he's lost a step or 2. our OLB play on the RB's needs to pick up.

Cutler still had 307 yards with his 5 picks. Forte 120 yds receiving.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I thought it was just me that noticed that. It seems that once he is engaged he stands straight up and doesn't drive his feet to the ball carrier anymore. NJot to mention he should have had an easy sack and just jumped in the air and then cutler got the ball off.

Overall I must say this defense is pretty solid considering the fact that they have no pass rusher at all. The 1st half i'm not even sure Cutler was touched. Manny and Parys are a major fail at this part of there games.

Lawson is either hot or cold. He's done pretty good against the run, so can't really knock him there. I just wish he'd keep his motor running on passing downs. I'd really rather see brooks in there on passing downs.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for TheChozen.
I think our D can be one of the elite in the league if they can just get some rest between series. They have to run off the field, get water, and run right back on the field cuz our offense can't sustain a drive.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Cutler kind of bailed them out IMO. There still was no consistent pass rush. They made plays and moved the ball but just kept turning it over. The Bears gave us the game.

Which Niner games do you watch every week?

3 of the picks were because of OUR pressure, we forced Cutler into those picks...but what else should I expect from you...

Our defense played great; they shut down their running game, and 5 picks...the only negatives is that we got beat on a couple of screens, and let Olson make some catches...
Originally posted by znk916:
Considering how bad Chicago's OL is, and the fact that Cutler threw 52 passes, all you really need to know is that we got 0 sacks. Basically, same old same old we can't stop the pass because we get no rush.

Some people will try to tell you that we got pressure, but outside of maybe a handful of plays, no one ever really got around their blockers to get a clean shot at him.

Also it was rather disturbing the way the Bears flew down the field on the last drive, although they did get bailed out by the ticky tack penalty on Bly on 4th and 10 to start it off.

Some of those interceptions where because Cutler tried to make some thing happen instead of taking the sack. We could have had two to three sacks easy had Cutler played smarter.
Share 49ersWebzone