There are 171 users in the forums

What Is the Identity of this Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The team is still trying to figure that out
Slant to Crabtree?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Who knows. Biggest problem IMO.

All I know...we ran effectively out of the shot gun aaaannnd Smith was 9/11 for 71 yards with a 96.3 passer rating out of the shot gun.

This seems to be a patter every game. Yet we dont do it more often. Who knows. And please dont say, "well well the defenses will figure it out." Uh hello...they already figured us out...

1st down: Run up the middle for 2 yards
2nd down: Run off tackle for 1 yards
3rd down: Smith tries to pass when the defense, everyone in the stadium, at home, around the world...all know we're going to pass.
4th down: Andy Lee MVP

Its the same sht over and over.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
The team is still trying to figure that out

Bingo
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm so frustrated! What are we? If something is working, why don't we stick with it? When we started the Bears game I thought, "Ok, we're using the pass to setup the run. Not a bad idea." It was actually working. I believe Alex Smith was 6-8 for 70 yards early on? Then after the INT, they totally deveated from the plan. How about a consistant offensive gameplan for once? Use more shotgun if we need to. Play to our players strengths. Give Alex time to get into a rhythm! Again, we are far too conservative. Jimmy Raye's play-calling is too predictable and inconsitant.

Shaun Hill agrees with you.

I don't want to get in a Shaun Hill vs. Alex Smith debate. They both have their limitations. I'm questioning the play-calling and the lack of an identity.

I realized this season is not going to be a playoff season once we threw 50 times last week when our run was producing 5.5 yards a pop.

It's simple: we don't have an identity. That's why we won't succeed in terms of wins this year.

The reason our run was producing 5.5 yards a pop was BECAUSE we were throwing the ball aggressively. We got the defense to back off.

Notice how when we try and run aggressively we average below 3 yards a pop? The defense is expecting the run.

Good play calling is when you do what the other team is not expecting/prepared for.

But I agree with you, we certainly don't have an identity on offense.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
play real offense in the first quarter, then run the same running play 40 times to run out the rest of the game

Dude, that shotgun draw, I couldn't believe what I saw... Raye ran that play 5 times in a row.. IN A ROW.. Only difference is on the 5th time Gore lined up on the right instead of the left like the previous 4 times in a row..

I've watched a TON of football.. College and NFL and I have never seen someone run the same play 5 times in a row like that... Even when teams are trying to out the clock with the run, they at least vary the run plays....
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm so frustrated! What are we? If something is working, why don't we stick with it? When we started the Bears game I thought, "Ok, we're using the pass to setup the run. Not a bad idea." It was actually working. I believe Alex Smith was 6-8 for 70 yards early on? Then after the INT, they totally deveated from the plan. How about a consistant offensive gameplan for once? Use more shotgun if we need to. Play to our players strengths. Give Alex time to get into a rhythm! Again, we are far too conservative. Jimmy Raye's play-calling is too predictable and inconsitant.

totally agree with you. raye is confused. stick to what works idiot. he abandoned the pass too early. the first drive was nice, what the hell happened? what happened to crabtree? i enjoyed the early gameplan.

They went away from the passing game to early & tried not to lose the game after we got that touchdown.
Our identity is yet to be discovered. Jimmy Raye is learning who can do what when. He is working to develope a QB who has started 33 games in a 5 year span coming back from injury. He is working with a raw crew of receivers in Crabtree, Hill and Morgan. He is working with an OLine that is in a state of disarray due to injury and substandard play. The Coaches he is working with from Rathman to Sullivan to Johnson to Forester who are working in their first year together. This is not an overnight or even an offseason of Prep work. This will take the full season and a review of strengths and weaknesses to come to understand who we are, who the leaders of the Offense are and what they can contribute to the maturity of those that are not leaders.

We as fans need to be patient with this process. We have rebuilt not only the team from a players point of view but almost the entire coaching staff. Beside Sullivan, who on the offensive side of the ball has been here for more than one season let alone two.
Conservative and balanced... vanilla.

We look like the Dolphins (with Pennington) before they started running the Wildcat... generally a rushing attack, with amix of short throws and check downs (an extension of the rushing game) and an occassional deep/intermediate pass.

With Hill, we looked more like the Raven (before Flacco)... run at all costs and a super conservative passing game.

Identity if our offense is Motivated.
Ballet...one, two, three and kick!
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
An old man style offense.

Yeah kinda like a Bed N Breakfeast!
  • RKab
  • Veteran
The 49ers are a smashmouth run-first, quantity over quality running team that um....can't run the ball when the other team knows they are going to run. Their smashmouth-style is hindered by their "snuggie" o-line (oversized, too many holes and shouldn't be seen in public.)

The 49ers greatest success is found in the self-loathing shotgun 3-receiver sets that are used sporadically. Unfortunately Jimmy Raye has to cut himself after every pass play he calls so the success has been limited.
Suck-ass, but it's more about poor coaching than anything.
Share 49ersWebzone