There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bears game thoughts

Originally posted by indianajim:
I was reminded of what Steve Young said on Ralph and Tom on KNBR this week, when asked about the short week. He said "both teams will probably come out sloppy. But if you can somehow just gut this one out and get the win, that gives you so much confidence going into almost an extra bye week." This team gutted this out. They will draw from this game for the rest of the season I think, because they didn't give up. They fought, scratched and clawed their way through, and I think they needed this kind of game to pull out of the slump.

You know what else happened? The breaks started to go our way. The ball started bouncing to OUR guys, instead of someone else. The ball that Smith had tipped right in front of him, and it falls to the ground. That fumble by Gore, Morgan is right there to recover. Every time our team screwed up, the Bears screwed up. 10 Bear penalties for 75 yards, 9 49er penalties for 77 yards.

I am MORTIFIED by the STUPID PENALTIES, and they happened ALL GAME LONG. Vernon Davis should no longer be allowed to open his mouth. Part of the maturation process, I guess. There were so many stupid mental mistakes in this game, and I think the only ones that didn't make any stupid ones were Frank Gore, Alex Smith, Patrick Willis, Matt Wilhelm, and the D-line. And how about Matt Wilhelm? He comes in to relieve Takeo Spikes and just plays a monster game! That dude was fired up, and you could see him try to get the other guys as fired up as he was.

As far as mistakes go, you had Morgan and Davis with the false starts again, you had Crabtree stumbling on the deep ball, Morgan just falling down on an out route on 3rd and 8, Davis opening his big fat mouth... sigh.

Our offensive line played some putrid frickin' football tonight. Gore ran for 104 yards, and I think that is important. But Vernon Davis must have really pissed off the Bears because they were rushing the passer like it was 1985. Smith had precious little time in the pocket, and our recievers couldn't get separation for most of the game. When they did, Smith couldn't see them because he was dodging the pass rush. I don't know if it was the short week and they were just tired, but on one early play in particular, Adam Snyder just gets mauled by Ogunleye, and Smith steps up then dodges right. Chilo Rachal had already given up on his man, and before Harris tackles Smith, Rachal just gives him this little half-a**ed shove with the right arm! Just lazy O-line play for most of the game.

However, and this is a BIG however, they stepped it up HUGE in the 4th. When Singletary wanted one good drive out of them, they ran the ball I think 10 of 11 times, and just milked the clock for all it was worth. Of course, the Bears flushed Smith from the pocket and then contained his run, but I think a heads up play on his part to gain a couple yards and keep the clock going since he couldn't find anyone open.

I'd like to point to Crabtree's drop on the very first drive of the game, right inside the 5. If he catches that, I think we get a TD out of it, instead we get a missed FG! A missed FG and a bad punt, how often do those things happen to Joe Nedney and Andy Lee?

One very important thing stood out to me about Alex Smith tonight. After that interception he was over on the sideline bending down talking to someone, and you could just see a change in his eyes and body language. It seemed to me he was trying to generate some confidence in the rest of the guys. His percentage was pretty good, and other than the interception, managed the game in an almost Hill-like fashion.

I appreciate that Jimmy Raye opted to take a shot downfield to Crabtree. I like that Alex Smith threw it to the outside to make sure the safety didn't come over and make a play on it. I don't like that Crabtree stumbled as he turned to look for the ball. As soon as that happened he wasn't in position to make the play.

Above all, I like that he didn't try too hard to make things happen. When he got that pressure down in the redzone and started to slip, instead of throwing it into the field of play, he just chucked it out of bounds. If he's able to keep his feet for a second he has Morgan breaking free. Oh well.

Oh, and thanks to Michael Robinson for the nice concentration. Even though he had the first down, and could have stayed in bounds to keep the clock going, that play right there was the epitome of this team fighting to finish this game.

Jimmy Raye called perhaps his worst game of the season. STOP RUNNING OUT OF THE MORGAN-MOTION-STOP-BEHIND-THE-TIGHT-END FORMATION! Everyone knows that formation means RUN COMING! Gaaah!

I think in this game the team found they have the heart to win. I think this gives them a foundation to build on for the rest of the season. They know they can win. Now they have to just keep going forward.

Good post
Ugliest game of all time. I almost feel more discouraged after the win, but a win's a win and I'm happy. I think that because it was a short week, the teams were sloppy which invariably led to both teams playing to their strenghts. For SF, it was their defense, and for Chicago, it was going to Jay Cutler through the air. He had to force a lot of throws without any run support, and got burned for it.

I think this team is still in flux and undergoing some serious growing pains. I do believe the offense is greatly improving, as the 3 and outs with Shaun Hill in the Atlanta and Houston games were just unbearable to watch. Here, we had some 1st downs, but drives just stalled midway. With greater QB-receiver chemistry, the Offense can definitely improve, although the O-line is certainly the limiting factor besides Alex himself.
folks can we enjoy a WIN for once..its been awile...come on...alex's fault or not..it was a ugly game but we WON...meanin we are still in it...we got extra days to plan for GB.....game at a time people..
Good post, but we broke some good runs out of Morgan motion formation this season. Also, THAT formation has so many options. Morgan can sneak out for a pass which we have done once on third down.

That formation has a lot of options.

As for Nedney, he's beginning to miss too many.

Overall, even post but I still feel Crabtree had just hit that extra gear and was ready to beat his DB but Alex threw it short, not to the outside and DB was already behind Crabtree in prime position to make the INT.
I'm just glad we finally f**kin won!!!

(whew)

Originally posted by Joecool:
Good post, but we broke some good runs out of Morgan motion formation this season. Also, THAT formation has so many options. Morgan can sneak out for a pass which we have done once on third down.

Overall, even post but I still feel Crabtree had just hit that extra gear and was ready to beat his DB but Alex threw it short, not to the outside and DB was already behind Crabtree in prime position to make the INT.

I believe that interception was on Crabtree... it looked like a fade.

Smith counted on him to make a play there, and he just fell over.

Originally posted by dhp318:
Ugliest game of all time.
Nah, that rams game from '07 still takes the cake for me.
Originally posted by indianajim:
One very important thing stood out to me about Alex Smith tonight. After that interception he was over on the sideline bending down talking to someone, and you could just see a change in his eyes and body language. It seemed to me he was trying to generate some confidence in the rest of the guys. His percentage was pretty good, and other than the interception, managed the game in an almost Hill-like fashion.

I caught that too. Its nice to see him take a leadership role. I think he'll be fine. He wasnt great or good tonight but he was far from horrible (See: Cutler, Jay). I never thought I'd say, "I'd rather have Smith over Cutler." I can safely say that.... well tonight at least.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I don't know, the corner had safety help so even if Crabtree got past the corner, the safety would be ready to make a play on the ball.

I believe that interception was on Crabtree... it looked like a fade.

Smith counted on him to make a play there, and he just fell over.

The sign of a maturing team is one that learns from it's mistakes and continues to grow even if a step back is taken from time to time, the general direction is still positive and the team moves forward.

But our Niners?

Same 'ol, same 'ol:
1. Pass rush - we still have no pass rush from the 4 most critical positions in the 3-4 and that is the linebackers (Willis is rarely used as is Spikes and Manny & Haralson are an embarrassment). And NO, their game against the run or in coverage isn't any different then any other 3-4 OLB in the NFL so quit with the pathetic justifications

2. Soft middle - we are TERRIBLE in coverage in the middle of the field and this includes Willis who just seems lost 90% of the time. TE's, RB's, any WR can be utilized by the opposition even if they just launch a Hail Mary up there

3. Short yardage/goal line offense & defense - can we actually get worse? We are! This is what defines your team and it's safe to say we have one of, if not the worst o-lines in the game and one of the worst d-lines within 10 yards of the endzone

4. Dumb - I can not tell you how many times over the years I've screamed at my TV, "That is just DUMB!" Whether it's a stupid penalty to keep a team alive, shoot ourselves in the foot, poor communication between the booth, coaches and QB & defensive captain, personal fouls, players popping off in the media, critical turnovers, poor defensive and offensive calls, game-plans or zero halftime adjustments, the theme that keeps coming up is that we are DUMB! We are just not a smart team. Period. I'm still waiting for the day we outsmart an opponent on any level. This DUMB-theme starts at the top and works its way all the way down to the water boy (who'd I'd start today at our WILL spot)

5. Talent evaluation - from piss poor drafting to the average FA market pickups, big contracts, ignoring critical needs at critical positions, to few upgrades to project players, poor special teams, etc. this is why after 6 years, we are STILL rebuilding and have the same questions we did 6 years ago

These seem to be the 5 themes that exists every single year that never seem to be answereed or addressed. If we are ever going to take the next step, win this division and get to the playoffs, all five need to be addressed IMHO.

Thoughts?
last year we were 2-7 at this point, this year we are 4-5, no matter how ugly the wins are, I'll take em
I would have drafted Orakpo over Crabtree. But thats just me and Im not saying they made a wrong move. We are still thin in alot of areas on this team. Oline, OLB, S, QB. But at least our WR corps looks to be rebuilt. We had No talent on this team and it takes time. We are definately better and getting better every year. I dont think its the same ol Niners though. I think this team can be special with a few more puzzel pieces.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Originally posted by BirdmanJr: