There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What did we learn from this game?

--Our defense played well, but the truth is Cutler gift wrapped this win and handed it to us on a silver platter with a cherry on top. And whipped cream. Served by a really hot stripper.

--Forte has not been able to run against ANY defenses this year except Cleveland's, so stopping him does not put us in elite company, just in regular old company.

--Smith is just plain mediocre and is not the QB to lead us to the playoffs

--3 points from our offense: 'Nuff said

--simply put, Gore is a man among boys on our offense...unbelievable talent surrounded by, um, er.....some dudes wearing red jerseys

--Singletary is learning on the job and making some bonehead decisions while he does
The niners will spend a higher draft choice next year on a QB.
We've learned that the football novices need to lay off of Alex Smith.
The offensive line is terrible. Smith has no time to throw. Homers need to watch more games than just Niner's and see how much time the Big Ben's, T Brady's or even Vince Young's have to throw. Smith doesn't even have time to go through his progressions.
Jimmy Ray's offense is less dynamic than what I ran in junior high.
Good teams go for the jugular they dont try to run the clock out (Pittsburgh last week)
This team is still building and still trying to find that chemistry...its coming though...
Originally posted by winner21:
The offensive line is terrible. Smith has no time to throw. Homers need to watch more games than just Niner's and see how much time the Big Ben's, T Brady's or even Vince Young's have to throw. Smith doesn't even have time to go through his progressions.
Good teams go for the jugular they dont try to run the clock out (Pittsburgh last week)
This team is still building and still trying to find that chemistry...its coming though...

+1
I can't believe that people are down on Smith after this game. He didn't throw 5 picks like Cutler did. Raye just didn't let him throw after the first series. His completion rate was 70%. What do you expect from the guy? His protection was not very good either.

paint kettles black much.

According to your over simplification all NFL franchises would draft OL in the 1st round every season and just pick any QB off the streets.

Since we all know that is not the case; then you would have to conclude that maybe just maybe it is not as simple as you are painting it to be, and the person standing behind Center actually does matter.

All simple explanations fail.

It is not ALL about the line
It is not ALL about the QB.
It is a combination of the 2.
In the absence of one; simpletons can not judge the other
In the absence of one; smart people can.

In the absence of a good line, Smith critics have repeatedly pointed out negative indicators on Alex Smith taking into account the bad line play. You can choose to ignore education when it is being offered to you; but I would be careful who you call a novice.

For the record, the novices have been winning this debate for 5 years as Alex Smith has never once in his career entered anything near top 20 territory by any credible entity
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

+1

When is the last Alex Smith had a 300yd game? And don't tell me he hasn't had the opportunity.
Originally posted by obx49:

+1

When is the last Alex Smith had a 300yd game? And don't tell me he hasn't had the opportunity.

Alex Smith's main problem is that he is a mediocre QB with a bad offensive line and a worse offensive coordinator.
Originally posted by 49ersfan80:
Originally posted by obx49:

+1

Alex Smith's main problem is that he is a mediocre QB with a bad offensive line and a worse offensive coordinator.

+1
Originally posted by danimal:

paint kettles black much.

According to your over simplification all NFL franchises would draft OL in the 1st round every season and just pick any QB off the streets.

Since we all know that is not the case; then you would have to conclude that maybe just maybe it is not as simple as you are painting it to be, and the person standing behind Center actually does matter.

All simple explanations fail.

It is not ALL about the line
It is not ALL about the QB.
It is a combination of the 2.
In the absence of one; simpletons can not judge the other
In the absence of one; smart people can.

In the absence of a good line, Smith critics have repeatedly pointed out negative indicators on Alex Smith taking into account the bad line play. You can choose to ignore education when it is being offered to you; but I would be careful who you call a novice.

For the record, the novices have been winning this debate for 5 years as Alex Smith has never once in his career entered anything near top 20 territory by any credible entity

I think winner's trying to say that you can have the best QB in the league and with a terrible O-line he is going to struggle. Brady, Ben, and even Manning wouldn't produce anything like they are now without decent to good line play.
the oline sucks in turn liminting the chance of dynamic play calling even if jimmy raye had it in em in the first place.

when the oline sucks everything does
go niners!
We learned, after rewinding and stop watching...that Alex takes a full second to set the back foot, move his weight and arm back, then throw.....plus the drop back time....this means the OL on a 3 step needs to hold for a minimum of 3 second. two for dropback, progression, one to throw..a full three seconds...And the O-Line is apparently not very capable on downs 1&2 and very incapable on down 3. but that is no excuse for Raye to punch the middle of a solid wall over and over and over...even I get if you can't move it, go around it...Geez...not rocket science
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by eastie:
That we need an O Line and a QB.

Qb is ok just o line

Seriously, can you Smith haters just shut up tonight and not blame him. The offense struggles were not on the QB tonight. The oline was horrible.

Are you kidding me? Smith should have had one more INT (Bears penalty) and could have had another (Blocked pass in the air at the line). He threw one ball right at the defensive lineman, missed TWO open receivers in the endzone - Davis and Morgan - and hs the pocket presenc of a two year old girl. Yes the o-line sucks, but Smith sucked also.
We learned we are not a playoff team yet.....
the players can't execute without shooting themselves in the foot

defense is better than you wankers give them credit for (they've never seen a screen before apparantley)

Smith haters don't care what Alex does, they just want pie-thrower in