LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Franklin in the last year of his contract

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dhp318:
im afraid he wont perform once he gets paid.

Well he is 30 so he doesnt have a whole lot of tread left on the tires.
I think alot of the good players in the league and not negotiating right now. They want to see what happens in the offseason with the labor talks. VD and Willis are waiting to see what happens as well. It's no secret the niners want to resign those 2 players first.
Originally posted by contrarios:
As long as he is not asking for Haynesworth money, we can sign him.

We need to keep him and bring in a younger guy come draft day to sit and learn Cody or McCoy.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by AC49er:
With the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select DT Terrance Cody

The Niners have much greater needs than DT.

Kentwan McGrew? I'm tired of drafting DTs.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by dhp318:
im afraid he wont perform once he gets paid.

Well he is 30 so he doesnt have a whole lot of tread left on the tires.

He probably has more than you would assume, he's only been here for three years, and before that he was a backup in Baltimore.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
With the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select DT Terrance Cody

Heck No, not at 12, he isnt worth the pick that high, Now if he loses weight and picked say 25th, then maybe.

I agree. Even if lose out on Franklyn. Wilfork, Pickett, and Casey Hampton all could hit the free agency market this year.

I feel pretty comfortable about the NT position regardless on how things play out with Franklyn.

The fact that there will be so many NT in Free agency is the exact reason why AF will resign. Have some faith. If Scotty Mac has proven anything it is that he rewards his own guys with decent contracts. And if all else fails I can't imagine the Franchise tag being that expensive for a NT. Even with Haynesworth retarded contract.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think the dude is playing hard because its contract year. Its a gamble paying these big fats dudes many time they get paid and become lazy and unmotivated.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/game-review-ale.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

Some of you have been wondering about Aubrayo Franklin's contract status. Franklin is in the final year of his contract, and he does not seem to be interested in an extension. He wants to see what he can fetch on the open market. He picked a good game - national television - to have his first career interception. What are the 49ers' chances of re-signing him? Put it at 50-50 ...

-- Matt Barrows

That makes me nervous.....Franklin has been as good or better than every NT in the NFL this year. I want to keep him, continuity in the trenches is key to success and Franklins play this year is as important as any on the entire D this year.

I do believe the 9ers will get him back, I think alot has to do with the negotiations with the labor agreement. Franklin/Willis/Davis/Gore need to be extended ASAP.
Originally posted by MBniner:
Odd that he has really stepped it up this year, isn't it? What is it with these guys who don't perform until contract time, and do we re-sign this jackass?

Actually, after we switched to a 1-gap scheme last season, he started kicking @ss.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by matt49er:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/game-review-ale.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

Some of you have been wondering about Aubrayo Franklin's contract status. Franklin is in the final year of his contract, and he does not seem to be interested in an extension. He wants to see what he can fetch on the open market. He picked a good game - national television - to have his first career interception. What are the 49ers' chances of re-signing him? Put it at 50-50 ...

-- Matt Barrows

That makes me nervous.....Franklin has been as good or better than every NT in the NFL this year. I want to keep him, continuity in the trenches is key to success and Franklins play this year is as important as any on the entire D this year.

I do believe the 9ers will get him back, I think alot has to do with the negotiations with the labor agreement. Franklin/Willis/Davis/Gore need to be extended ASAP.

Barrows' statement concerns me. However, I do think that Franklin's play improved immensely last year and this year he's at a Pro-Bowl caliber level. Our run defense needs a dominant NT or it falls flat. He may not record great stats but his job is to plug the gap and force the run outside where he can be picked up. It's worked great for us this year, except for one game and that's because Chris Johnson has freakish speed on the corners.

On defense I want us to draft help in the secondary first. We've got to get some good safety help to stop the long passes. We also need some depth--the injuries this year are killing us in the secondary.

Originally posted by B650:

So we should stop doing it?
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by MBniner:
Odd that he has really stepped it up this year, isn't it? What is it with these guys who don't perform until contract time, and do we re-sign this jackass?

I am skeptical of fat ass linemen who are otherwise undistinguished except for their contract years. This smells a little like Dana Stubblefield's MVP season before he became a free agent. At least we're getting a major contribution from Franklin's would-be replacement, Antwan Balmer.

Good ole' Antwan Balmer!
Agree with continuity be nice to get Franklin back but with no cap next year will test the market and try to make a killing like Haynesworth did. He is getting a lot of attention in the media and having a pro bowl year.

Do worry it could be another Stubbefield has a great year then poof is horrible once he gets the big contract
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
Originally posted by B650:

So we should stop doing it?

Yup, for now. Sign proven DTs from other teams only. This team hasn't drafted a solid 1st-round DT since Bryant Young in 1994.
  • Coach
  • Info N/A
After years of reading uneducated comments I thought it was time to let my voice be heard. Franklin has always been an exceptional 3-4 nose. However, it has not been since this last year and a half that he was given a chance. No nose tackle on any 3-4 team is playing as good as him. His anticipation of plays, hands, ability to stay square vs double team, ability to never get reached, and pure consistancy are unmatched. He is the #1 reason 49er run D is so improved. Without him we are in trouble.
Share 49ersWebzone