There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Franklin in the last year of his contract

i'd go with the franchise tag. dude is a beast !!!
Originally posted by valrod33:

lmfao.

What if we just keep signing him to one yr deals?!?! muwhahah he will always be in a contract yr!

[ Edited by Dajanksta on Nov 14, 2009 at 00:48:47 ]
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

Seriously?
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

You can't unless you originally drafted him. He came to us as a FA. We did no draft him. We wouldn't anyway.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
breaking news

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!!!!!!!...a lot of how we go forward with him is going to depend on how well we finish the season
I CONCUR, VALROD33 YOU ARE GREAT. A+

all we need is the where's waldo/star trek khan video and this is the best thread. Of course i still love el guapo dancing on the 3 amigos.

Franklin has always been good, but now he is great. Smith has helped on D also.
Ordinarily I might agree that in his contract year, Franklin's playing so well. But, he really started to come on after Singletary took over last year and gave Manusky the latitude to simplify the defense. They need to re-sign him...because he really has been one of the most consistent guys on the defense.
Pioli is going to be looking for a nose tackle hard this offseason. Obviously if Wilfork hits the market he'll be his #1 guy, but Franklyn could be a pretty good plan B.

You hate to lose a stud nose tackle, but if I'm the Niner I definetily got a price tag on Franklin that I'm not going over. It's going to be interesting because Wilfork, Pickett, Franklyn, and Hampton all could potentially hit the market this year. Also if it's uncapped season anyone making the divisional playoffs will have severe restrictions so they won't be a threat to us here.

Barring someone like KC severly overpaying him I think we retain him.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 14, 2009 at 07:47:00 ]
Aubrayo Franklin is best fit right where he is now. Since this defense has been simplifed and his job has been to anchor us in the middle, he has been a force against the run.
I first wonder where has this been in the beginning: maybe he's been developed right; could it be the contract year; or just maybe its our other great d-linemen like Smith demanding doubles that creates oppurtunities for Franklin.

I feel it IS the latter, for the most part. Anyway, AF is playing his best football and is ready for a new contract.

Being on a line with Sopoaga, Smith, and McDonald rotating gives us a great chance to become a great front line for years, but hopefully, Franklin realizes he is in a good place in San Fran and resigns with us.

I do believe we offer him a new deal. Do we get him in the FO before the season ends, or does the big guy want to test the market during free agency?

It looks to me that hes a big piece to compete for ours goals. Get him in there early to sign a contract Scot.
It's too late, IMO. The hype of the past few weeks has done enough damage to cause him to enter the open market. I think that he's gone and someone will overpay for him.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
It's too late, IMO. The hype of the past few weeks has done enough damage to cause him to enter the open market. I think that he's gone and someone will overpay for him.

You could be right, but why would he want to do that if HE realizes that his best fit is next to the guys hes with now? And Sing coaching him I'm sure helps our chances to bring him back
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

You could be right, but why would he want to do that if HE realizes that his best fit is next to the guys hes with now? And Sing coaching him I'm sure helps our chances to bring him back

I agree, but it's all about the $$$$.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

I agree, but it's all about the $$$$.

Is he a URFA or a RFA? If he is a RFA we can at least have the option of matching any offer. But im not sure he can even be a RFA for us.
A lot of players aren't resigning now until they find out whether next year will be uncapped or not. It wouldn't be smart for Franklin to sign right now. It's the same reason the Niners haven't been able to extend Willis or Davis yet.
I think all players in the league play lights out, or at least their best, during their last contract year. They're playing for that big money, whether it comes from san fran or any other team that watched his play.

I think we should keep him around. We should draft a NT as a backup, but Franklins definitely stepped his game up this season so far.