There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Split personality defense?

It's quite clear that this defense can be VERY good and VERY bad from game to game. But the real interesting thing is when the defense's schemes are different from game to game. Now...yes...strategies against certain teams are going to change, however, it seems as though the Niners D can get pretty vanilla at times and because of that everything else falls. When this team has played it's best is when they put the peddle to the metal on the: 1) confusing blitz packages/or fake and 2) press coverage.
Now yes, this isn't all the time but I don't understand why Manusky doesn't use the 3-4 more to their advantage in disguising blitzes or packages. Vs the Titans...this Defense looked very Vanilla.
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
It's quite clear that this defense can be VERY good and VERY bad from game to game. But the real interesting thing is when the defense's schemes are different from game to game. Now...yes...strategies against certain teams are going to change, however, it seems as though the Niners D can get pretty vanilla at times and because of that everything else falls. When this team has played it's best is when they put the peddle to the metal on the: 1) confusing blitz packages/or fake and 2) press coverage.
Now yes, this isn't all the time but I don't understand why Manusky doesn't use the 3-4 more to their advantage in disguising blitzes or packages. Vs the Titans...this Defense looked very Vanilla.

Unfrotunately what we are seeing is that as much as i would like to say our defense is one of the best in the league it is not quite there yet. I think realistically we are somewhere like a 12th ranked defense, pretty good but not quite elite yet. Just from watching the games i would say the biggest problem with our defense is the inconsistancy of our offense. I mean look at the games where the defense has strugled, houston, atlanta, and tennesee, in all of these games our offense either stunk it up or had a lot of turnovers. Any time this happens it puts the defense in a position to fail no matter how good it is. On the flip side I believe we can have a number 1 or 2 defense in all of the nfl if just a few things happen:

1) Alex Smith is our Franchise QB (this will TREMENDOUSLY help our offense since in the draft we can go elsewhere from qb. I realize right now this is somewhat like a 50 50 chance with his recent inconsistent play but is still a possiblility)

2)RT and Guard issues addresed

3)We address pass rushing OLB

4)CB depth

I know people dont want to hear this but if these 4 things happen next year there is no doubt in my mind that we win our division and win a least 1 playoff game. If this "dream scenario" were to happen i believe our offense would be top 10 and our defense would be top 3 in all of the nfl no doubt about it
hey, we're the only team in the league that hasn't allowed an opening drive TD. Maybe even score. I know it's one of those.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
hey, we're the only team in the league that hasn't allowed an opening drive TD. Maybe even score. I know it's one of those.

Ya, we are the only team to not allow a opening drive TD, the only team to not allow a Peyton Manning a TD, only 100 yard rusher has on us has been Chris Johnson.

This is a good/great defense. It's a player or two away from being dominant week in and out.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Ya, we are the only team to not allow a opening drive TD, the only team to not allow a Peyton Manning a TD, only 100 yard rusher has on us has been Chris Johnson.

This is a good/great defense. It's a player or two away from being dominant week in and out.

Oh you mean a player like this!

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Ya, we are the only team to not allow a opening drive TD, the only team to not allow a Peyton Manning a TD, the only 100 yard rusher on us has been Chris Johnson.

Oh you mean a player like this!

That, and a pass rusher.
I really want berry on this team next year. probably not gonna happen but one can dream.