There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Steve Young on Smith and what it takes to survive in the NFL

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

I wouldn't try to compare our O to the Saint's Offense"That's sound s crazy to me cause NO use to be our punching bag" I'm just disapointed because I feel that we have a better passing team than we are showing. It makes me mad that Cutler and the Bears are actually doing well in their passing game with his crappy receiver.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Link

You will have to download it, and I would fast forward it to 24 minutes.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I put up with him because he was a Niner, but I've always hated him as a person. He's a bafoon. I wish him nothing but the worst.

hey mayo63! you're worst of a person and bad effect by urself! you didn't make sense! Boo!!!

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Nov 12, 2009 at 09:10:47 ]
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

Why does no one seem to understand this? Many think that Sean Payton put that team together like Kool-Aid and water, then voila!
I'm behind Alex as a fan. But the time is now. I agree with Martz on this-

Martz: "He has to win. And he has to be the reason why you win a big game. The really good players in the league, the guys that have won for a long time and win championships, they step up. When things are at their worst, he's got to be at his best."
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Digger25:
I'm on my phone and the mobile webzone doesn't have search. sorry if this was posted already.

Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great.

he never eluded or even showed support for Smith. just kinda p***yfooted around the question and said "it will be an important week for Smith".

and lastly, he said that he likes watching QB's at press conferences-win or lose. bcause in these interviews, he looks to see if the QB will NOT make excuses for bad things an show confidence that HE will lead/command and win.

to me, Smith always seems bummed out and not too confident. maybe he doesn't have what Young says QB's need (outside physical ability) to succed. I am backing Smith, but what Yong says sems to make me question Smith.

STEVE YOUNG IS RIGHT,...However...I would imagine that it would be hard for Steve not to side with Alex....they R friends. Remember Steve said that a few years back.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Young is an idiot, who cares what he thinks.

Most of us Niner fans care, Mr. Irrlevent.
I'm on my phone and the mobile webzone doesn't have search. sorry if this was posted already.

Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great.

he never eluded or even showed support for Smith. just kinda p***yfooted around the question and said "it will be an important week for Smith".

and lastly, he said that he likes watching QB's at press conferences-win or lose. bcause in these interviews, he looks to see if the QB will NOT make excuses for bad things an show confidence that HE will lead/command and win.

to me, Smith always seems bummed out and not too confident. maybe he doesn't have what Young says QB's need (outside physical ability) to succed. I am backing Smith, but what Yong says sems to make me question Smith.

And this is the difference between TODAY's 49ers and the great 49ers of the past. I don't hear Smith on the field when there isn't practice throwing extra balls to Crabtree or Hill. I don't hear of the offensive players being there late at night studying film, throwing as much as possible, taking ownership and refusing to make a mistake because they weren't prepared. Analyzing their own weaknesses and working to change them. If Alex is "late" he needs to work on that. If he "locks on all the way" he needs to work on that by trying to establish as much as possible a rapport with his receivers.

No more excuses. It's time to be a winner.

I would love to see 2 - 3 years of Smith in the same system with the same WR's and the same O LINE (well different O Line in our case...). Playing together over time matters. And we haven't managed that well.

You say you would love to see Smith play 2-3 years in the same system, then why are you always b***hing about Singletary? Calling him a fraud? Is he not giving him a chance to play even after his INT's? Is he not backing him up? Is he not making changes to make this team better? Yet you b***h after every single loss
Originally posted by NinerGM:

And this is the difference between TODAY's 49ers and the great 49ers of the past. I don't hear Smith on the field when there isn't practice throwing extra balls to Crabtree or Hill. I don't hear of the offensive players being there late at night studying film, throwing as much as possible, taking ownership and refusing to make a mistake because they weren't prepared. Analyzing their own weaknesses and working to change them. If Alex is "late" he needs to work on that. If he "locks on all the way" he needs to work on that by trying to establish as much as possible a rapport with his receivers.

WERD!

Also, the one word used many times in that conversation with Young, Staubauch, Razor and Ralph was "ACCOUNTABILITY".

NUF SAID.

now let's kick some bear ass tonight!

I think personality is vastly overrated, and whenever former QBs comment on the importance of "leadership" and "attitude", etc., they are projecting qualities that they exhibited when they played. Trent Dilfer, for instance, talks on the Cowherd show on ESPN about how important it is that a QB is a fiery type-A leader. Well, who do you think was a fiery, Type-A leader? Ding, ding, ding. Dilfer. I take a similar grain of salt with Steve Young's commentary. He was a stand up guy. He was a tough competitor. He was also enormously talented. So that's what he projects as the essential mental makeup of a successful NFL QB.

On the other hand, you have guys like Eli Manning and, hmmm, Joe Montana, who aren't so fiery and uptight, don't scream, etc. You might label them Type-B personalities, but Montana was one of the best that ever played the game and won games where Young would have been overly hyped up and choked. Montana's low key demeanor made him "cool" under pressure.

My point being, if you're talented and you lead your team to wins, the amateur psychologists in the media will fill in the blanks. I won't comment on Smith. If he starts leading the teams to wins, we'll find reasons to admire his personality. If the team continues to lose, we'll be analyzing Nate Davis next year. I'm rooting for Alex, in part, because I'd love to see him shove it up the butts of diarea mouths like Dilfer.
I agree with Steve Young and Gannon and I don't think you can keep making excuses for Smith and I see so many on this board. One of those fumbles last week the ball slipped out of Smith's hand and I think that he is still playing like a rookie and yet Flacco and Matt Ryan play like they've been around for awhile and look at Ben R. who is clearly a better passer now yet he has two rings and he is a reason the Steelers win. Personally, I think if Smith can't cut it, it's time for the 49ers to move on.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
That is two no nonsense well respected QBs who have said it is on Alex to take it upon himself to improve....doesn't matter what Singletary tries to cover up.....

Steve Young and Rich Gannon know what they are talking about.......you can only make excuses for so long.....pressure is building....we are barely in second place and 2 games back of the Cards....4 game losing streak.....media heads calling out the coach......

so what happens if Alex struggles tomorrow?....if he turns the ball over 2 times tomorrow, I think Sing will pull the trigger......no matter who we want to blame, a turnover is a turnover and they kill our team..

so for the Alex believers.....it is on Alex to put this team on his shoulders (something yall said Shaun couldn't do) and lead us to victory.

Good post. Totally agreed, which is why it surprised me because I had just read this on Maiocco's twitter yesterday:

# Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree got in a little extra work together on field after practice today. 1:10 PM Nov 11th from txt

Good post and I agree.

If Smith doesn't resurrect this season, he could very well be on his way out. I think he knows this himself.

-9fA
Originally posted by Method:

Good post. Totally agreed, which is why it surprised me because I had just read this on Maiocco's twitter yesterday:

# Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree got in a little extra work together on field after practice today. 1:10 PM Nov 11th from txt

I hope that practice transitions to the actual game!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home