LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Steve Young on Smith and what it takes to survive in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

Ok, who figured out SD's password?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

Thank you. Post of the month. People expect results after 2.5 games and its just NOT going to happen.

Of course, because those results happen right away in Madden. As we all know, if it happens in Madden, it should happen that exact same way in real life...

• 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by vermonator:
I wonder how Steve's press conferences went when he played for Tampa.

Not good.

Tampa Steve Young = Young player on terrible team = BAD RESULTS.

49er Steve Young = Older more mature player on one of the best teams = Champion.

The team you are on and the experience level of the QB matters.

I'm a little surprised that Young isn't more thoughtful when discussing Smith , I guess he forgot he sucked in Tampa and was far from good out of the box here, and Gannon ,please doesn't he own the SB record for picks? it took him a long time to get things right these guys both are probably right in the asessment of Smith but "experts" were saying the same things about those guys for a good part of their careers

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

I would love to see 2 - 3 years of Smith in the same system with the same WR's and the same O LINE (well different O Line in our case...). Playing together over time matters. And we haven't managed that well.

Agree with this.
Originally posted by Mex49:
When steve young stops lying about his fake ass hair, or what ever that is, maybe ill listen

and did me mention that he was surrounded by champions.

with out them he was not surviving.

The teams he was on were almost perfect. He had Jerry freakin Rice. He had a good TE. Other good WR's. And outstanding O LINE with tons of time. Great defenses backing him and holding the other team down. He had excellent coaches and one of the best owners.

Compare that to Alex. I'd say it's pretty much the flip opposite.

Young in the prime of his career if he were on this modern day team would get killed. He'd have broken up shoulders too and no deep playoff runs trust me.

I think you guys are confused here. Steve Young did not talk s**t on Smith. Like I said, he avoided passing any judgement-EVENTHOUGH RALPH FED HIM LOADED QUESTIONS, LIKE "WHAT DO YIU MAKE OF THE 4 TURNOVERS ALEX HAD?".

Young gracefully slipped out of it but did talk about what Smith needs to do and how he needs to respond. there was no bashing.

it is disheartening to see niners fans bag on an all time great niner in Steve Young. Whether Young thinks Alex will succed or not, he handle the subject well-unlike some of you on here.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Young is an idiot, who cares what he thinks.

There needs to more thought out posts like this in NT.

The receiver's effort toward making the catch is definitely a difference maker. In another article I read, Steve Young spoke about the way Dree Breez makes his passes where the receiver isn't going to get his head knocked off (most of the time). His receivers know that and have the confidence to go up and get the ball. Alex has to develop the same confidence with his receivers.
Originally posted by mayo63:

really? a key instrument that brought us a championship? a QB who is an all time great and has one of the coolest personalities? That's kinda harsh, man.

Say what you will, but Joe would not have done the same because if he would, he would n't have become a Chief. And don't say Elvis would have faired just as well because there are things Steve did that yeR (to win) that Grbac couldn't: RUN!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I put up with him because he was a Niner, but I've always hated him as a person. He's a bafoon. I wish him nothing but the worst.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Nov 12, 2009 at 08:02:53 ]

ummm.. Marques Colston had a 1000+ yards recieving his 1st and 2nd yr in the league.. Henderson in his 3rd yr also avg 20yrs per rec. I think Brees had ALOT to do with that development

I have to agree with you there man... Our WRs just don't make plays. I mean, how much YAC do we have? How many long passes do we have? I am hoping as Crabtree starts getting more comfortable, he will start "attacking" the ball more.

Here is a question, do we even have a WR that could make that catch taht Favre threw, the superbowl TD from Roethlisberger, or any other numerous passes that give these QBs such stellar ratings and numbers? Probably not...
Originally posted by Digger25:
Originally posted by mayo63:

really? a key instrument that brought us a championship? a QB who is an all time great and has one of the coolest personalities? That's kinda harsh, man.

Say what you will, but Joe would not have done the same because if he would, he would n't have become a Chief. And don't say Elvis would have faired just as well because there are things Steve did that yeR (to win) that Grbac couldn't: RUN!!!

Youngs a idiot?? WoW.. LOL i think i would rather have Young's old decrepid self behind center right now than the shady brand of QB'ing we've been forced to put up with since Garcia got the Boot.
Originally posted by horsecore:

There needs to more thought out posts like this in NT.

good luck with that.

This!

I would personally say...either way...this team should stick with HC, OC, DC...Niners need continuity BAD!

Hopefully, Smith shows himself to be decent/good...that would be even better with the continuity.
Share 49ersWebzone