There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Steve Young on Smith and what it takes to survive in the NFL

Originally posted by SDDAVE:
SanDiego49er is right on the money. San Diego guys must be on the same page. I was thinking earlier today about Brees and the way the Saints receivers play. I get so tired of reading on the Webzone about how Smith stares down receivers and the interceptions are all his fault and on and on. I have attached a couple of highlight clips of Brees' games against the Giants and the Dolphins. You will notice the protection he gets from the OL, the way he "stares" down receivers, how he throws into double and triple coverage, and how he has bad spurts as well. In the first half against the Dolphins he was picked twice, fumbled once, missed receivers and had a QB rating of 29.4. Down 24 to 10, he came back to win the game and he was not pulled. LOL I think you will notice, like SD said, he expects his receiver to make plays, fight for the ball and to hang on to them. They never drop passes and they are not easy grabs. Enjoy the highlights and let me know what you think. And the next time you want to beat up on Smith, just remember that even the best QB's fumble and throw INT's. And the Chargers got rid of Brees because he was not "producing". Yeah.
Dolphins
Giants

Brees throws into double and triple coverage and stares down his WR's all the time. The difference is he has BEAST WR'S like Colston who just goes up and gets it. We don't have anybody like that. Not even Crabtree. It makes a difference you know as much as people don't want to look at it.
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
SanDiego49er is right on the money. San Diego guys must be on the same page. I was thinking earlier today about Brees and the way the Saints receivers play. I get so tired of reading on the Webzone about how Smith stares down receivers and the interceptions are all his fault and on and on. I have attached a couple of highlight clips of Brees' games against the Giants and the Dolphins. You will notice the protection he gets from the OL, the way he "stares" down receivers, how he throws into double and triple coverage, and how he has bad spurts as well. In the first half against the Dolphins he was picked twice, fumbled once, missed receivers and had a QB rating of 29.4. Down 24 to 10, he came back to win the game and he was not pulled. LOL I think you will notice, like SD said, he expects his receiver to make plays, fight for the ball and to hang on to them. They never drop passes and they are not easy grabs. Enjoy the highlights and let me know what you think. And the next time you want to beat up on Smith, just remember that even the best QB's fumble and throw INT's. And the Chargers got rid of Brees because he was not "producing". Yeah.
Dolphins
Giants

Brees has a quick release, powerful arm, and BIG receivers.

Smith has an average release, above-average arm, and 6'0 receivers (except Davis).

Big difference in the utilization of weapons and player behind center.
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
SanDiego49er is right on the money. San Diego guys must be on the same page. I was thinking earlier today about Brees and the way the Saints receivers play. I get so tired of reading on the Webzone about how Smith stares down receivers and the interceptions are all his fault and on and on. I have attached a couple of highlight clips of Brees' games against the Giants and the Dolphins. You will notice the protection he gets from the OL, the way he "stares" down receivers, how he throws into double and triple coverage, and how he has bad spurts as well. In the first half against the Dolphins he was picked twice, fumbled once, missed receivers and had a QB rating of 29.4. Down 24 to 10, he came back to win the game and he was not pulled. LOL I think you will notice, like SD said, he expects his receiver to make plays, fight for the ball and to hang on to them. They never drop passes and they are not easy grabs. Enjoy the highlights and let me know what you think. And the next time you want to beat up on Smith, just remember that even the best QB's fumble and throw INT's. And the Chargers got rid of Brees because he was not "producing". Yeah.
Dolphins

Brees throws into double and triple coverage and stares down his WR's all the time. The difference is he has BEAST WR'S like Colston who just goes up and gets it. We don't have anybody like that. Not even Crabtree. It makes a difference you know as much as people don't want to look at it.

Well, Brees wouldn't be doing that if he didn't have beastly WRs. Smith should know better.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
SanDiego49er is right on the money. San Diego guys must be on the same page. I was thinking earlier today about Brees and the way the Saints receivers play. I get so tired of reading on the Webzone about how Smith stares down receivers and the interceptions are all his fault and on and on. I have attached a couple of highlight clips of Brees' games against the Giants and the Dolphins. You will notice the protection he gets from the OL, the way he "stares" down receivers, how he throws into double and triple coverage, and how he has bad spurts as well. In the first half against the Dolphins he was picked twice, fumbled once, missed receivers and had a QB rating of 29.4. Down 24 to 10, he came back to win the game and he was not pulled. LOL I think you will notice, like SD said, he expects his receiver to make plays, fight for the ball and to hang on to them. They never drop passes and they are not easy grabs. Enjoy the highlights and let me know what you think. And the next time you want to beat up on Smith, just remember that even the best QB's fumble and throw INT's. And the Chargers got rid of Brees because he was not "producing". Yeah.
Dolphins

Brees throws into double and triple coverage and stares down his WR's all the time. The difference is he has BEAST WR'S like Colston who just goes up and gets it. We don't have anybody like that. Not even Crabtree. It makes a difference you know as much as people don't want to look at it.

Well, Brees wouldn't be doing that if he didn't have beastly WRs. Smith should know better.

Well maybe we should get some more BEASTLY WR'S and then we can be a better team.

Of interesting note. I saw Brees have 3 Int's, 2 Fumbles and a Sack when he was under pressure against the Dolphins. He had all day on the highlight plays. His O Line is a hell of a lot better than ours. Pressure makes everybody look bad. Even Brees.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 11, 2009 at 21:49:14 ]
I wonder how Steve's press conferences went when he played for Tampa.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I wonder how Steve's press conferences went when he played for Tampa.

Not good.

Tampa Steve Young = Young player on terrible team = BAD RESULTS.

49er Steve Young = Older more mature player on one of the best teams = Champion.

The team you are on and the experience level of the QB matters.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.
Unfortunately;Smith has THE worst loser body language of any QB I have looked at in 35 years, by far.

Anyone see the pic of him leaving the filed last week, very sad, in a bad way..

If he does like he did Sunday, tonight, he will be booed off the field, I have no clue how he could go forward..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Unfortunately;Smith has THE worst loser body language of any QB I have looked at in 35 years, by far.

Anyone see the pic of him leaving the filed last week, very sad, in a bad way..

If he does like he did Sunday, tonight, he will be booed off the field, I have no clue how he could go forward..

Dan Fouts was almost booed out of San Diego his first four years and of course is now in the Hall of Fame. Practically every QB of any stature has been booed in their careers.
To be a good offense, a balance offense, an offense that can throw the ball, you have to take the risk of turnovers along with the improvement. Otherwise, we have what we had with Hill. Play it safe, throw at a minimum, don't turn the ball over. It worked for a little while until defense realized, you don't challenge them down field. In essence you're only able to attack half the defense vertically and limited on the outside.

Turnovers will be part of every good offense. The good team can limit the turnovers and overcome when it happens, the bad team can't and b***hed about them when they lose.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

Thank you. Post of the month. People expect results after 2.5 games and its just NOT going to happen.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

Thank you. Post of the month. People expect results after 2.5 games and its just NOT going to happen.

The smart ones know whats going on around here
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,858
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

Really didn't take any time.... Drew Brees signs in 06 and New Orleans goes 10-6 makes it to the NFC title game and Marques Colston a 7th round draft pick has 70 catches and 8 TDs. Could look at it this way: NO 2006 WRs Marques Colston (Michael Crabtree) Joe Horn (Isaac Bruce) Devery Henderson (Josh Morgan) Only difference is we don't have an a QB of Drew Brees Talent to get our WR the ball. And the reason for the bad records the last two years was never because of the offense, it was a defense that in Breeses first year gave up 322 points and that went up to 388 in 07 and 393 in 08. The reason they are 8-0 this year is not because the offense is finally coming together its because the defense is finally playing well thanks to additions like Darren Sharper.

[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 11, 2009 at 23:28:28 ]
Young's from a different era...and I appreciate his comments. Also gotta remember the teams he played on...most were great or very close to it. He had top OL's, WR's, TE's, RB's the whole nine yards. Alex hasn't had that...the talent he has around him now is by far the best of his career...and it's still nowhere close to what Steve Young had. He's right...tonight's game is a big one, to see how Alex rebounds and handles himself and the team.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Young's from a different era...and I appreciate his comments. Also gotta remember the teams he played on...most were great or very close to it. He had top OL's, WR's, TE's, RB's the whole nine yards. Alex hasn't had that...the talent he has around him now is by far the best of his career...and it's still nowhere close to what Steve Young had. He's right...tonight's game is a big one, to see how Alex rebounds and handles himself and the team.

I don't think Young is bagging on Smith. Like I said, he kinda p***yfooted around Ralph's questions about Smith.

but no matter the era, no matter the team, Young is right in saying that Smith HAS to figure out how to start winning. No matter what lt coaches say, how receivers catch (or don't) and how the line blocks, it is ONLY on Smith to figure it out and start winning.